Trade: Calgary Michael Frolik to Buffalo for a 4th

Brawndo

14 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

It takes up to 10 days to get his US visa. This underlying idea that he isn't coming seems so weird. He had to waive a NTC to come here. The only reason he is not here is because his Visa wasn't filed until Thursday which means it will take a few days. That might be a good thing. Gives Frolic a few days to find housing and settle in, go to dinner with some teammates. Get things all taken care of in Calgary. 

You are assuming that he can enter the US on the Canadian work visa while his US visa gets processed.  That may be possible, but likely isn't.  (The rules on these sort of things can be rather byzantine.)

But this delay making it easier to close up his Calgary affairs is valid.

5 minutes ago, Taro T said:

You are assuming that he can enter the US on the Canadian work visa while his US visa gets processed.  That may be possible, but likely isn't.  (The rules on these sort of things can be rather byzantine.)

But this delay making it easier to close up his Calgary affairs is valid.

I am assuming he has a passport and can come to the US for a few days. 

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I am assuming he has a passport and can come to the US for a few days. 

And again, the rules for what to do / how to obtain work visas are rather byzantine and he may not be allowed into the country while the paperwork is processing.  (He may be allowed in, but wouldn't have any money on it.)

Just one example of a fluky rule on this sort of stuff (which is not directly related to his situation)- pre-9-11 Canadian citizens that had Green Cards to work in the US that wanted to file for US citizenship would need to surrender their passport for ~1 year while the paperwork was processing.  They could re-enter Canada while not holding their passport (they were still citizens afterall) but would NOT be allowed back into the US.  Immigration law / rules / policy rarely are straight forward nor sensible at first glance. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

It takes up to 10 days to get his US visa. This underlying idea that he isn't coming seems so weird. He had to waive a NTC to come here. The only reason he is not here is because his Visa wasn't filed until Thursday which means it will take a few days. That might be a good thing. Gives Frolic a few days to find housing and settle in, go to dinner with some teammates. Get things all taken care of in Calgary. 

I guess I missed the idea that he isn't coming.

I think what's at play here is the impression, correct or not, that it's never taken this long for a player traded to the Sabres to arrive.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

I hope that one doesn't take off as a nickname.?
It's a perfect name for the type of player that all too often gets vilified around here.

I think it was said upthread that things have changed at ICE and what used to be a rubber stamp approval now takes several days.

Just now, shrader said:

I hope that one doesn't take off as a nickname.?
It's a perfect name for the type of player that all too often gets vilified around here.

*antics*

13 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I think it was said upthread that things have changed at ICE and what used to be a rubber stamp approval now takes several days.

*antics*

This. Somewhere between 17-19, non-immigrant visas have taken a back seat and are no longer rubber stamped. There were several cases of Olympic sport athletes missing events because of original back log.

Also, and Taro would know this better but I thought the bargaining agreement gave veterans more time to get their affairs in order.

22 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

So who's paying him right now?  and who's cap is he under (I'm assuming the Sabres for both).

I assume the Flames.

He's not an employee of the Sabres yet.

I am also assuming there is language in these types of trades that specifically deals with it, so as not to break any laws.

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

5 days and not here yet, something ain't right. 

Everything is okay. His Visa was going to take 7-10 days. It was not filed until Thursday so we're still just waiting on paperwork. 

Edited by LGR4GM

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Everything is okay. His Visa was going to take 7-10 days. It was not filed until Thursday so we're still just waiting on paperwork. 

Is this a normal thing though? Maybe I haven't been paying attention. Surely a player has been traded from a Canadian team to a U.S. team in the past three years for comparison purposes.

3 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Is this a normal thing though? Maybe I haven't been paying attention. Surely a player has been traded from a Canadian team to a U.S. team in the past three years for comparison purposes.

I think what was stated is that this has become the new normal with current US policies and procedures.  It was not so much so in years past.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

One game in and I'm not impressed.  Yes, it's early and he hasn't really practiced with the club, I get that.  But he didn't seem very engaged last night.

Yeah it definitely too early to make any sort of judgement but a nice two goal giant swoop of emotion, ala Steve Bernier, would have been nice.  

On 1/5/2020 at 3:54 PM, Eleven said:

I know when I posted it, Curt.  It is unusual.  I don't recall any player from any country taking 55 hours to get a visa.  By way of example, there are no reports that a certain Mr. Kovalchuk, also born outside of North America, also switching teams from different countries mid-season, is facing similar battles.

On 1/5/2020 at 5:07 PM, Taro T said:

Again, no immigration attorney, but might it be possible that as hockey is effectively the national sport / pastime that Canada expedites the process for foreigners to obtain their visas relative to the US visa issuance process?

Yup, it’s a Canada/USA thing 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.