Trade: Calgary Michael Frolik to Buffalo for a 4th

Brawndo

47 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

What are the chances that Bogo doesn't get traded after this?

If they could trade him they would. Problem is the player and the salary.   

Ideally, I believe they want Pilut with the Sabres. Still need to move 1 more dman out the door. I think Miller is the more likely to get moved.

11 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Not a fan of Scandella for Frolik, especially with Scandella being rejuvenated, Frolik basically being a 4.3 mill Sobotka, and helping the Canadians.  I give these 2 deals an F. 

He is a rental for now.  Both player are UFA’s after the season.  If he is better than Sobotka, and he fits in, we can make him a offer at a lower $$ value next season.   With Sobotka out, Skinner out, Tage out, Mitts gone - we need him  

Scandy was +9 and was having a very good season.  I hate helping Montreal.  At least his absence clears the way to play Miller and Bogo.  Bogo will be gone by the deadline and now we can see if Miller is any good or not.  

I am hoping Borgen (Not Pilut) is ready soon.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

If he puts up 15 pts the rest of the way we’ll be lucky.  If he gets 20+ I’ll admit I was wrong.  

I understand that he likes the opportunity here because we have no depth scoring but I disagree with him and Jbot that he’ll help solve that issue.  His days of being a 40 pt player were gone 2-3 years ago.  Now he is pacing about 20-25 per season.  

He produced at a 20 goal, 43 point per 82 game pace just last season.

I get that he isn’t having a good season, but you can’t pretend last season didn’t happen.

9 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

He is a rental for now.  Both player are UFA’s after the season.  If he is better than Sobotka, and he fits in, we can make him a offer at a lower $$ value next season.   With Sobotka out, Skinner out, Tage out, Mitts gone - we need him  

Scandy was +9 and was having a very good season.  I hate helping Montreal.  At least his absence clears the way to play Miller and Bogo.  Bogo will be gone by the deadline and now we can see if Miller is any good or not.  

I am hoping Borgen (Not Pilut) is ready soon.  

how about both Borgen and Pilut?  still have to clear McCabe, Miller and Bogo before that happens

Deck chair on the titanic.  With Skinner and VO out the next month or so this season is done.

I understand the pessimism but do not agree. 

The Sabres are currently 6 games under DeLuca .500.  They have 15 games between now and Feb. 11 (by which point presumably both Skinner and VO will be back), with 25 games left in the season after that. 

They probably need to get to no worse than 4 games under DeLuca .500 while Skinner and VO are out -- so they need to go, say, 9-6 in the next 15 games, and then 15-10 in the last 25.  Certainly their season to date shouldn't make anyone confident that this will happen, but it's not impossible.

The next 15 games include the following 9 very winnable games:

Florida

Vancouver

2 vs Detroit

Nashville

Ottawa

Montreal

Rangers

Anaheim

Will the Sabres win all 9?  Probably not, but they might beat some of the better teams too.

RK will get them to buy in and they won't quit.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

The Sabres are currently 6 games under DeLuca .500.  They have 15 games between now and Feb. 11 (by which point presumably both Skinner and VO will be back), with 25 games left in the season after that. 

They probably need to get to no worse than 4 games under DeLuca .500 while Skinner and VO are out -- so they need to go, say, 9-6 in the next 15 games, and then 15-10 in the last 25.  Certainly their season to date shouldn't make anyone confident that this will happen, but it's not impossible.

Florida

Vancouver

2 vs Detroit

Nashville

Ottawa

Montreal

Rangers

Anaheim

Will the Sabres win all 9?  Probably not, but they might beat some of the better teams too.

Playing hard is great, but RK has yet to prove he can get them to play hard every night and play hard with structure.  Under RKs watch the special teams  are worse despite a better roster (on paper) and now he doesn’t even have his best snipers.

I have zero faith in Jbot to address the center issue and therefore playing hard with forward group playing with 1st line guy (Jack) and one 2nd line guy (Sam) and no other talent is a ticket to the cellar.

The only way to save this season is to find a center and change the system to the old NJ trap. That isn’t happening.

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

Florida

Vancouver

2 vs Detroit

Nashville

Ottawa

Montreal

Rangers

Anaheim

100% right, the season rests on the 10 January games.

need at least 15 points. Got 2 last night, so good start.

Anything less and its back to Team Tank. Make a run at the playoffs even if you come slightly short or finish bottom 5...nothing in between

Playing hard is great, but RK has yet to prove he can get them to play hard every night and play hard with structure.  Under RKs watch the special teams  are worse despite a better roster (on paper) and now he doesn’t even have his best snipers.

I have zero faith in Jbot to address the center issue and therefore playing hard with forward group playing with 1st line guy (Jack) and one 2nd line guy (Sam) and no other talent is a ticket to the cellar.

The only way to save this season is to find a center and change the system to the old NJ trap. That isn’t happening.

any suggestions who the Sabres could acquire as a 2C? ive gone over a bunch of rosters and really can't find anyone who might be available that the Sabres would target.

7 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

any suggestions who the Sabres could acquire as a 2C? ive gone over a bunch of rosters and really can't find anyone who might be available that the Sabres would target.

Not our job. Jbot gets big money to find that player.  How about Adam Henrique?  Trade Bogo for Artem Anisemov.

2 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

how about both Borgen and Pilut?  still have to clear McCabe, Miller and Bogo before that happens

Dahlin and Joker are fixtures.  I want the remaining 4-5 defensemen to be bigger, stronger, and meaner than what Pilut can bring.  That said Pilut was ok last year until teams started playing physical with him. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

Not for nothing, but our PK is currently ranked 28th? I believe?

Scandella's absence certainly can't be so overwhelming as to not try to improve that position, no?

I mean, honestly, if we're hoisting Scandella as a 28th out of 31 team PK positioning as some sort concern, well, that just baffles the hell out of a fan like myself I guess.

No idea what you thought you read, but fairly certain it wasn't what was actually written.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Dahlin and Joker are fixtures.  I want the remaining 4-5 defensemen to be bigger, stronger, and meaner than what Pilut can bring.  That said Pilut was ok last year until teams started playing physical with him. 

Pilut was good last year until he was injured due to teams playing physical against him.  If that was a fluke, he'll be a keeper.  If it wasn't, he should be trade / Seattle bait.  He seems resilient in the more physical, but slower AHL, so hopefully that injury was a fluke.

Not our job. Jbot gets big money to find that player.  How about Adam Henrique?  Trade Bogo for Artem Anisemov.

Henrique would be good but where do we clear almost $6M for him? You're not gonna get him for Bogo or KO.

Edit: He also has a 10 team list we would likely need him to waive.

Edited by MakeSabresGrr8Again

8 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Henrique would be good but where do we clear almost $6M for him? You're not gonna get him for Bogo or KO.

Edit: He also has a 10 team list we would likely need him to waive.

If they are willing to trade him they are likely willing to accept $ back as long as the package is good.  They will likely be happy to take Bogo as part of the deal because he comes off the books after this year and Henrique has 4 years left at 5.8. 

11 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

If they are willing to trade him they are likely willing to accept $ back as long as the package is good.  They will likely be happy to take Bogo as part of the deal because he comes off the books after this year and Henrique has 4 years left at 5.8. 

There would have to be a perk involved or they don't get any real value. They get a 1/2 season of Bogo and we get Henrique for 4 years more.

I don't hate this trade...feels too little too late but he does seem to be an upgrade over Erod, Vesey, Sheary, Wilson, Mitts, Sobotka? 

Here's a 15 minute highlight video of him from the 17/18 season - looks like he can score shorthanded , make passes, read the play well and also throw his body around a bit. I know the highlights only show the good stuff so I'm not sure how consistent he is, but it seems like an upgrade to the current roster. Dreger says JNOT isn't done either, so here's hoping more help is on the way.

4 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Florida

Vancouver

2 vs Detroit

Nashville

Ottawa

Montreal

Rangers

Anaheim

Have to hope Skinner comes in at the 3 week end of his 3-4 week projection, and Olofsson at the 5 week end. 

If that’s the case, Skinner would actually be back January 17, missing only 6 more games. 

Olofsson would be back (and hopefully playing) February 6th, meaning he’d only miss 11 games. 

These would require close to the best case rehab scenarios, but they are within the stated timeline. The All-Star break being in there helps. 

You’d think Skinner would be back at the latest by Ottawa on Jan 28, that’s over 4 weeks from the time of the injury. So him missing 7 more games seems like it would be the max. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Couldn't agree more on Pilut. I don't understand the fascination some have with Pilut. Often he gets pushed around like a 98 lb weakling, he's just not an NHL defenseman.  

My first thoughts on Frolik weren’t complimentary but I do recall the Sabres (and Blues, my second team) playing against him and he was a noticeable player.   The younger Frolik had some skills and was solid 2-ways.   

Hoping the current Frolik can find a resurgence in Buffalo the way that Lorenzo Alexander did for the Bills.  Maybe Vessey and Tage can learn something from him about playing wing in the NHL.  The Sabres need to find players with every trade that incrementally Improve them.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, KC Scouts said:

Couldn't agree more on Pilut. I don't understand the fascination some have with Pilut. Often he gets pushed around like a 98 lb weakling, he's just not an NHL defenseman.  

He's an AHL All-Star. Sure it's not nearly as much talent in that league, but I believe there's just as much physicality, and he seems to be doing fine with it there. They are keeping him in Rochester for what seems like way too long, he's already 24, but I think he'll be a mainstay on our blue line once he finally gets up here. I actually have a lot of confidence in him.

7 hours ago, Mustache of God said:

I don't hate this trade...feels too little too late but he does seem to be an upgrade over Erod, Vesey, Sheary, Wilson, Mitts, Sobotka? 

Here's a 15 minute highlight video of him from the 17/18 season - looks like he can score shorthanded , make passes, read the play well and also throw his body around a bit. I know the highlights only show the good stuff so I'm not sure how consistent he is, but it seems like an upgrade to the current roster. Dreger says JNOT isn't done either, so here's hoping more help is on the way.

After watching that I'm wondering how do we get Backlund?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.