Trade: Calgary Michael Frolik to Buffalo for a 4th

Brawndo

10 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

It looks like he scores most of his goals from in close, which is what RK has been preaching.

He's a vet with a cup ring and a good productive track record who's in a contract year and who waived a NTC to come here.

I'm IN on this move.

I agree. This is exactly ONE of their needs. Now get me a second line center and better then average goaltending and I’ll be happy.

1 minute ago, tom webster said:

I agree. This is exactly ONE of their needs. Now get me a second line center and better then average goaltending and I’ll be happy.

Yes indeedly.

Regarding goaltending, I think Ullmark has had a pretty decent year, although certainly not top 25% in the NHL, which is what they really need.

Risto

Dahlin

McCabe

Montour

Miller

Joker

AHL call ups with some NHL experience like Pilut Borgen etc...

Bogo isn’t markedly better than any of those. At least not enough to warrant hanging on to a player who wants to  be moved.

Edited by Zamboni

5 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

The same as before a middle six winger was acquired. Between his injuries and his contract… It will be challenging but not impossible.

Is our depth is still deep enough without Scandella and Bogo ?

That is what it comes down to.

Do we just keep Bogo now for what little we get for him?

I believe Scandella was worth more than Bogo is so in all honesty a bag of pucks? Why not just keep him?

Edited by woods-racer

3 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

Is our depth is still deep enough without Scandella and Bogo ?

That is what it comes down to.

Do we just keep Bogo now for what little we get for him?

I believe Scandella was worth more than Bogo is so in all honesty a bag of pucks? Why not just keep him?

Yes. 

McCabe, Dahlin, Miller, Montour, Jokiharju, Ristolainen and I would add Lawrence Pilut in Rochester. That's still 7 NHL defenders without touching AHL level depth. I think that is solid. 

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

So we might have an analytics department. This seems like a move prompted by Krueger to get veteran help. Again, I feel indifferent to it. I guess we shall see what he brings. 

Which may take more than one period, or one game, or one week to know how he fits in with RK’s system and new teammates. 

2 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

So what is Bogo worth if Scandella was worth a 4th?

The same I would guess. Maybe slightly more or less depending on how a team views him. 

It is amazing that Risto has gone from red headed step child to useful 2nd pairing defender in 3 months. I was 100% wrong that no coach could improve him. Now we can keep him and ditch Bogo without suffering and dip in our defensive depth. 

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

The same I would guess. Maybe slightly more or less depending on how a team views him. 

It is amazing that Risto has gone from red headed step child to useful 2nd pairing defender in 3 months. I was 100% wrong that no coach could improve him. Now we can keep him and ditch Bogo without suffering and dip in our defensive depth. 

I like your optimism!

Edited by woods-racer

And that's why he is still here.

If Botterill got an offer he would be gone. 

I think Botterill has gotten offers but they probably involve salary retention and he isn't in favor of that without a better return. Still Botterill needs to do something. Having bogo sitting around is not helpful. Also the forward group is still woefully lacking. 

I like your optimism!

Cautiously optimistic. Risto has done this before where he will play well for a month or so and then revert back. He isn't good at certain things so hopefully he continues not to do them. As a 2nd pairing guy though he can be useful. 

Just now, LGR4GM said:

I think Botterill has gotten offers but they probably involve salary retention and he isn't in favor of that without a better return. Still Botterill needs to do something. Having bogo sitting around is not helpful. Also the forward group is still woefully lacking. 

All it takes is 1 injury to a team looking to make a playoff run to get a half decent return.

Right now time is on Botterill's side.

5 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

All it takes is 1 injury to a team looking to make a playoff run to get a half decent return.

Right now time is on Botterill's side.

There's a plethora of teams right now with injured defense. Still we wait. I think the Islanders just had a defender get injured. Not that we are a great trade partner for the Islanders but Kieffer Bellows sits in their AHL system. 

11 hours ago, Thorny said:

That's fair, but it's also fair to hold the GM accountable for not making it on the grounds that the indications are it was reasonably possible. It's obviously not a fireable offense, and truthfully not even a strike in isolation, but it simply illustrates one (of a number of ) example(s) that JB could have used to upgrade the team. When it's viewed in totality, it becomes clear that the "well, there isn't really anything he could have done" argument (not saying you are making it) doesn't hold water. 

As for the coming into their prime thing, it's not close to that exact of a science. Players don't come into the league, much less their primes specifically in accordance with their draft year. A player picked in 2019 may take longer that one this year, etc. As stated already, if they truly drew the line at a 2020 first, I would have said, "sure!". It was lottery protected and we need a 2C. The deal would be looking pretty darn good had we made it. 

The concept of "there isn't anything that could be done" has to go along with the concept "at what price?".  That's always the problem.  Hell, look at the debate about what they paid Skinner, just to keep him.

Acquiring JT Miller would have been a good move, if the price were right. People definitely disagree on what that price should be. 

1 hour ago, inkman said:

He looked at the wing depth and said, all I have to do is beat our Evan Rodrigues, Connor Sheary and Jimmy Vesey for some major PT with top six players. 

Which is perfect for Buffalo frankly.  If he comes in here and lights it up and the Sabres flip him in February to a team that offers back a younger prospect or a 2nd round pick then in reality Botterill flipped Scandella for a 2nd pick or another player.  

• Like (+1) 1

...since everyone keeps asking, he has a TRpm of -7.57, playing just 18% of even strength minutes... not great

==============================================================
CGY even strength goal differential through 43 games = -13
CGY even strength minutes played through 43 games = 2176.22
TRpm(team relative +/-) is the diff btwn actual+/- and exp+/-
exp+/- is a function of %min played at ES and team ES goal diff
%min is % of ES minutes played
Team  Player                   TRpm    GP    +/-  exp+/-  %min
CGY Derek Ryan                10.10    43     7   -3.10   23.8
CGY Mikael Backlund            7.79    43     4   -3.79   29.2
CGY Mark Giordano              4.71    43     0   -4.71   36.2
CGY Andrew Mangiapane          4.04    41     1   -3.04   23.4
CGY Travis Hamonic             3.86    37     0   -3.86   29.7
CGY Sam Bennett                3.82    27     2   -1.82   14.0
CGY Dillon Dube                3.33    19     2   -1.33   10.2
CGY Michael Stone             -0.24    21    -2   -1.76   13.6
CGY Oliver Kylington          -0.54    31    -3   -2.46   18.9
CGY Milan Lucic               -2.20    41    -5   -2.80   21.6
CGY Matthew Tkachuk           -4.21    42    -8   -3.79   29.2
CGY Rasmus Andersson          -5.60    43   -10   -4.40   33.8
CGY Johnny Gaudreau           -5.94    43   -10   -4.06   31.2
CGY Tobias Rieder             -6.10    34    -8   -1.90   14.6
CGY Sean Monahan              -7.14    43   -11   -3.86   29.7
CGY Elias Lindholm            -7.32    43   -11   -3.68   28.3
CGY Michael Frolik            -7.57    38   -10   -2.43   18.7
CGY Mark Jankowski           -10.32    34   -12   -1.68   13.0
CGY Noah Hanifin             -11.31    43   -16   -4.69   36.1

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.