GDT: 11/16/19 Ottawa vs. Buffalo, 7 p.m., MSG, WGR550.

Claude Balls

43 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Hey @Doohickie,

Where is that Jack hula hoop thingie you always post?

You're a bit slow tonight.  It was just ahead of your post.  I forgot to post it before taking my dogs for their walk; I did it on the walk from my phone which was a pain in the butt.

• Thanks (+1) 2

I saw some, was happy, and Jack needs to shoot more often. 

But if it wasn't for Jack tonight, we would have lost easily, and this sloppy game won't fly against any good team. 

I need to see more than eichel pulling out all the stops in beating a bottom feeder. Sheary, VO, skins all had changes and nada. Still very concerning... Also I, do we have a PP anymore?? 

But a W is a W and I'll take it. 

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

Who's the new PA guy? 

We need one more Jack point for @SwampD

1 hour ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Good call. 

?

Who knew they's all be goals? Awesome.

Jack has 23 points in 12 games vs Ottawa. That's Heatley/Spezza/Alfredsson versus us level stuff. 

Serves them right 

Alfredsson can ***** right the ***** off. There is no amount of present and future pain that Eichel can inflict on Ottawa that can make up for Alfredsson. 

Eichel has flaws, and they're worth talking about and debating on message boards.

But nights like tonight are why we spent a decade dreaming about having a forward like Eichel. It feels good

This makes me happy.

3 minutes ago, inkman said:

So Sabres Twitter is freaking out about Dahlin.  I don't exactly get that feeling from here. Explain. 

What are they saying? I thought he had a pretty good game tonight.

1 minute ago, SwampD said:

Who knew they's all be goals? Awesome.

Alfredsson can ***** right the ***** off. There is no amount of present and future pain that Eichel can inflict on Ottawa that can make up for Alfredsson. 

This makes me happy.

What are they saying? I thought he had a pretty good game tonight.

He didn't play in the third period.

Look what I just picked up at the Sabres store before the game tonight...#authentic

Talk about timing!!!!

at the game with my brother, he’s like one, two, three, Jack wants four!!!!

very happy that he drove tonight so I could do a beer a period... hasn’t happened in a longgggg time.

300C6AD1-201B-475D-87C5-81B1D0136ABD.jpeg

Edited by repster
Extra info
  • Like (+1) 4

12 minutes ago, darksabre said:

It's because we all think he deserved to get benched and we know it won't ruin him 

The analytics guys are apoplectic. You'd think their first born was kidnapped.  Dahlin has looked ***** abysmal this season. People want to blame Krueger but I just don't know if I can get there. 

Why has Joker looked so good? And Scandella?  It can't just be "they get the system and Dahlin doesn't" right?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, inkman said:

The analytics guys are apoplectic. You'd think their first born was kidnapped.  Dahlin has looked ***** abysmal this season. People want to blame Krueger but I just don't know if I can get there. 

Why has Joker looked so good? And Scandella?  It can't just be "they get the system and Dahlin doesn't" right?

I think it's just growing pains. I think Bogo was a big influence on him last year and not having him as a partner maybe has Dahlin a little goofed up. 

Krueger mentioned that they want him to focus on refining his defensive game more and it seems like maybe he's getting in his own head about it. It's definitely a mental thing. But he needs to make more responsible plays with the puck. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, inkman said:

Sophomore slump.  He'll be fine.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, darksabre said:

I think it's just growing pains. I think Bogo was a big influence on him last year and not having him as a partner maybe has Dahlin a little goofed up. 

Krueger mentioned that they want him to focus on refining his defensive game more and it seems like maybe he's getting in his own head about it. It's definitely a mental thing. But he needs to make more responsible plays with the puck. 

I would agree with this general assessment. Hell, a lot of NHLer’s in their Sophomore years regress from their freshman years. Kid is too talented to think it’s gonna really be an issue. He’ll settle in. I’m glad he’s trying to focus on his defensive play. Like you said... simple common growing pains. 

42 minutes ago, darksabre said:

It's because we all think he deserved to get benched and we know it won't ruin him 

I don’t think he deserved to get benched and I definitely don’t think he’s been “abysmal” this season, but I still appreciate the heads up to avoid the Twitter. I’m sure they are overreacting, regardless of the fact, as mentioned, that I don’t really personally agree with the benching. 

Sabres twitter can be wild, and it’s marshalled often by those 2 analytics gurus. 

Edited by Thorny

26 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I don’t think he deserved to get benched and I definitely don’t think he’s been “abysmal” this season, but I still appreciate the heads up to avoid the Twitter. I’m sure they are overreacting, regardless of the fact, as mentioned, that I don’t really personally agree with it. 

This is your best bet, Sabres twitter is awful 

Got on here late so not much to add. Maybe just that Asplund should stay on the roster and ERod should be sent down or sit in the stands instead. 

For the moment I'd try Skinner with Mitts and Sheary as line 2 (until Johanson comes back) and then Vesey Asplund Lazar, Erod leaves the 4th line when Larrson is back. Whatever combo, Asplund is better than ERod. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Zamboni said:

I would agree with this general assessment. Hell, a lot of NHLer’s in their Sophomore years regress from their freshman years. Kid is too talented to think it’s gonna really be an issue. He’ll settle in. I’m glad he’s trying to focus on his defensive play. Like you said... simple common growing pains. 

I think that was said about Myers too.

rachel dratch snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I saw some, was happy, and Jack needs to shoot more often. 

But if it wasn't for Jack tonight, we would have lost easily, and this sloppy game won't fly against any good team. 

I need to see more than eichel pulling out all the stops in beating a bottom feeder. Sheary, VO, skins all had changes and nada. Still very concerning... Also I, do we have a PP anymore?? 

But a W is a W and I'll take it. 

I just sort of speed skimmed through the entire game in 30 minutes or so; saw all the goals, a few PPs.

I thought we looked terrible!  All of Jack's goals were nice; he was really picking his spots with some great shots but it wasn't a team effort and this was against Ottawa.

But a win is a win!  Let's see how this transitions to the next few games.

Couple of quick thoughts:

Am I the only one who really liked Vesey’s game last night?

Dahlin is exhausted - now I think I understand why he’s struggling so much the past month, for whatever reason he seems to be worn out already.  Not sure if it’s his offseason conditioning or he’s hurt or something else, but his skating legs finally died on him mid-game last night and I assume that’s why he was pulled.  I’m actually encouraged by that turn of events because it’s a better explanation than other, more concerning factors... but it’s also odd.

Finally: Asplund sure looked like he belongs.  Liked his two-way game a LOT.

Edited by Cascade Youth

So the Athletic talks about why he was pulled. I remember the play and while not having the same reaction as Botterill, I did say WTF out loud.

“Also playing zero minutes in the third period was Sabres defenseman Rasmus Dahlin. The healthy 19-year-old was pinned to the bench. The No. 1 overall pick from 2018 took his last shift with 1:37 left in the second period.

The puck went into the corner in Buffalo’s zone and Dahlin had the edge in a race with an Ottawa forward. Inexplicably, Dahlin pulled up and slid back, allowing the Senators to gain control.

Botterill slammed the table in his press-box suite, stood up from his chair and walked away from the action. When he returned to watch, he stood with his arms crossed.”

https://theathletic.com/1384487/2019/11/17/thats-what-big-captains-do-inspired-jack-eichel-takes-matters-into-his-own-hands-with-four-goal-outburst/?source=shared-article

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, inkman said:

Yeah, because most people don't want to place the blame on the kid.  It's like accepting the #1 pick might not be perfect is hard for people to do.  Dahlin will be an incredible player, he's struggling right now. Last year he had a pass on some things because it was his first year. He's a rookie, a D, and 18.. he gets a pass at mistakes. This year he's expected to be better and he's struggling.  No more passes.

4 minutes ago, billyudi said:

So the Athletic talks about why he was pulled. I remember the play and while not having the same reaction as Botterill, I did say WTF out loud.

“Also playing zero minutes in the third period was Sabres defenseman Rasmus Dahlin. The healthy 19-year-old was pinned to the bench. The No. 1 overall pick from 2018 took his last shift with 1:37 left in the second period.

The puck went into the corner in Buffalo’s zone and Dahlin had the edge in a race with an Ottawa forward. Inexplicably, Dahlin pulled up and slid back, allowing the Senators to gain control.

Botterill slammed the table in his press-box suite, stood up from his chair and walked away from the action. When he returned to watch, he stood with his arms crossed.”

https://theathletic.com/1384487/2019/11/17/thats-what-big-captains-do-inspired-jack-eichel-takes-matters-into-his-own-hands-with-four-goal-outburst/?source=shared-article

Frankly, that play, I think he believed it was icing.  It still made no sense however for him to do what he did.  I know I was cursing his name a few times in the first period.  There were a few bad passes, curlbacks, and such that just drove me nuts. He needs to sit and I think that happens tonight.  

------------------

As for the game, Eichel had a great game. He didn't try to do too much. His actions with Dahlin on the bench are what we need to see.  The entire game had a sloppy feel to it and that's to be expected when you are playing a team like Ottawa.  Their lack of skill actually causes a disruption in what people would consider normal hockey.  The puck just doesn't move the same or as anticipated. The Sabres are guilty of that too, although I think they are slightly better overall.

It was a much needed win.  It's unfortunate that Eichel had to score all the goals, but if the team can walk away feeling good about itself then mission accomplished.  Now to put two W's together.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Cascade Youth said:

Couple of quick thoughts:

Am I the only one who really liked Vesey’s game last night?

Dahlin is exhausted - now I think I understand why he’s struggling so much the past month, for whatever reason he seems to be worn out already.  Not sure if it’s his offseason conditioning or he’s hurt or something else, but his skating legs finally died on him mid-game last night and I assume that’s why he was pulled.  I’m actually encouraged by that turn of events because it’s a better explanation than other, more concerning factors... but it’s also odd.

Finally: Asplund sure looked like he belongs.  Liked his two-way game a LOT.

Legs died. Good observation. The spirit might have been willing, but the flesh was weak.

1 hour ago, billyudi said:

Thanks. I started to write a post about that play a few times, but I couldn't vividly remember what he did after basically having a panic attack on the ice. I remember him turning his head to his left to see who was coming, then... darkness.

Fascinating note on Botterill. Wonder who decided that Dahlin should sit.

OK, to clean up the description of the Dahlin play in question: icing was called off fairly quickly as the puck went down the ice. Not sure why, but it might have confused Dahlin. And Ottawa never really gained control. Dahlin actually made a very nice play to recover, fight for the puck, take it away and clear it. Now I wonder if Botterill's reaction was to the non-call.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.