Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

10 hours ago, dudacek said:

I think zucker would help and we can afford to use those assets, but I’d prefer we used them for a centre.

I also think one of those assets needs to be dialed back; the Blues 2 and Nylander? P31 and CJ Smith?

That’s basically what we paid for Montour and he’s 4 years younger and an RD.

And on a longer more expensive contract.  

McDonald and Phanuef being bought out, any interest in Dion?

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

1 hour ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Who did give us anything during that stretch? Why zero in on a 3rd liner? If he had performed the same way all season he'd have put up a top-6 season. Maybe a more equal distribution of those 35 points is what you're looking for, but that's just not how 3rd liners normally produce. In fact, I'd say the consistent 3rd liner is close to a myth 

Because it’s Sabrespace and it was his turn. 

?

• Haha (+1) 3

17 hours ago, Mustache of God said:

I don't get the hate for Vesey. He was dead set on being a free agent and had every right to explore that option. The anger should be directed towards GMTM for the complete waste of an asset (yes a 3rd round pick is a slim shot) but was just a continuing trend of asset mismanagement by this organization.

I'm curious to know what the exchange would be for him? His 17 G would was more than any Sabres not named Jack, Sam or Jeff last season.

I'd be hesitant to be the 1st team to trade for Vesey, not because he spurned the Sabres, but because that team will be the 1st he plays for post playing for the dream team he WANTED to play for.

Not expecting a Berglund situation, but wouldn't be surprised at all if he ended up pulling a Kozlov.  Maybe his friendship with Eichel could overcome that, but wouldn't risk it unless the price was VERY low (like a 6th).

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, kas23 said:

Really? Do you honestly think someone would say they still can’t sleep over that episode? Next time I’ll try to be more over the top and say that I’ve sending him daily bombs in the mail or have a life-sized effigy of him in my basement. Lol. 

nothing would surprise me on how people react. Honestly, once I read 'coddled little bitch' I didn't think anyone would be making a joke with such terrible statement.

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

https://bluelinestation.com/2019/06/16/new-york-rangers-blueshirts-return-jimmy-vesey/

Option 1 : McCabe  ( I think he has more value than Vesey, so the rags need to sweeten the pot)

Option 2 : Scandella ( I throw in a 3rd rounder for them to take him)

Absolutely not for McCabe but I would do Scandella. . Vesey is a 3rd liner at best. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, nfreeman said:

To return to the original premise:  saying I’d rather have Vesey than Sheary isn’t “zeroing in” on Sheary.  My point wasn’t that there is an urgent need to get rid of Sheary — I was just using Sheary as an example of someone the Sabres have that Vesey would represent an upgrade over.  

Except it was a bad example, unless you can provide something other than height ?

I'm fine with adding Vesey. He's an NHL player who can chip in some much needed secondary scoring. But let's not pretend he's something he isn't. That's all I'm saying. 

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

https://bluelinestation.com/2019/06/16/new-york-rangers-blueshirts-return-jimmy-vesey/

Option 1 : McCabe  ( I think he has more value than Vesey, so the rags need to sweeten the pot)

Option 2 : Scandella ( I throw in a 3rd rounder for them to take him)

The writer of that article thinks more of McCabe than many on this board.  McCabe is not the problem, he is part of the solution.  The guy is a warrior.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, tom webster said:

I like McCabe too, but he has played less then sixty games the last two years. He’s not getting a six year deal till he proves he can stay healthy.

That’s your opinion. Fine.

That’s not how reality works. If it WAS how NHL GM’s thought, 85% of players wouldn’t get multi-year deals. Because almost every player gets injured and most players misses 3+ games a year because of it. I mean what exactly is the “cut off” between being injury prone and just getting injured? Is it anything less that 15 games a season is ok? And anything more than 15 and he’s not worth signing to a 4, 5, 6 year deal? 10 games? 20 games? And I bet the answer varies among what GM you ask, or fan for that matter. I get it... it’s just an opinion you have. But setting clear guidelines to who doesn’t and who does earn a multi-year deal is so so subjective. 

I personally wouldn’t hesitate a moment if McCabe agreed to a 5x4 or 6x4. He plays with snarl. And overall compared to someone like Bogo in the past 4 years ... is younger and healthier. Just my two cents.

23 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I like McCabe too, but he has played less then sixty games the last two years. He’s not getting a six year deal till he proves he can stay healthy.

Even when healthy, I don't think he's been good enough to want to lock up for 6 years. I think it was 11 who originally suggested a few months ago not wanting to be the team to do this, and I'm with him. 

Wanting to sign McCabe long term is fine, though I think 6 years would be a bit excessive.  The strange thing would be giving him $4M.  His last contract was only for $1.6M, he has never surpassed 20 points, and has had some injury issues.  I don’t think he will get over $2.5M and definitely no more than $3M.

Edited by Curtisp5286

8 hours ago, klos1963 said:

nothing would surprise me on how people react. Honestly, once I read 'coddled little bitch' I didn't think anyone would be making a joke with such terrible statement.

During the Vesey saga, for better or worse, pretty much everyone was throwing the word “coddled” around. This word was debated ad nauseum. The b-word part was mine. Sorry, it was a joke. I thought for sure this word would be properly filtered. You can take that up with the mods if you wish. This is the internet. Don’t take things so hard. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, tom webster said:

Actually, missing over twenty games in each of last two seasons will hamper his ability to get a six year deal. 

And yes, everything I write is my opinion unless I quote someone but I appreciate that you feel it’s fine that I state my opinion.

Ok. Since it seems you want to get snarky and mods took the night off .... listen I didn’t say it was fine to state your opinion. I said so that’s your opinion. Fine. Fine as in I read and I understand your opinion. And the reason I typed that is well ... you can message me if you want. It’s quite the story. Now, to add the “hamper” angle to your thought .... then yes, like any player, injury riddled seasons can hamper the ability to get longer term deals. Not impossible. But hamper or make it tougher.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.