Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

7 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Sheary is 50 weeks older than Vesey, they are less than a year apart in age. 

Would he be an improvement over Wilson or Zemgus is a better question 

Wow. Why does Sheary SEEM a fair bit older than Vesey?

I remember our interest in him what was it, 2, 3 years ago? Didn't we give up a pick for his rights and he didn't sign here?

Not that it matters any, that is just how I remember him, I haven't seen him play but only against the Sabres. Any info on him like his speed, does he check well, is he a two way forward, a grinder, a pest? 

25 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

I remember our interest in him what was it, 2, 3 years ago? Didn't we give up a pick for his rights and he didn't sign here?

I feel this is akin to saying:

Didn't some Bills kicker miss a kick to win an important game a while back.

I'm sure I'm overstating it a bit but to have no recollection of his tie to the Sabres is beyond my comprehension.

• Haha (+1) 3

50 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

So the guy with the same points and better possession metrics was near useless, where the other guy is a clear upgrade because he *may* have more upside. Good to see you taking the GA approach to evidence. 

Did you not think that Sheary was useless for much of last season?

If you were offered Vesey in exchange for Sheary, how would you respond?

4 hours ago, klos1963 said:

because he chose to sign with a team other than the Sabres?   Grow up.

Really? Do you honestly think someone would say they still can’t sleep over that episode? Next time I’ll try to be more over the top and say that I’ve sending him daily bombs in the mail or have a life-sized effigy of him in my basement. Lol. 

1 hour ago, inkman said:

I don't like the idea of letting a guy off the hook for not choosing Buffalo. I don't want sloppy seconds. He had his chance. Piss off Jimmy. 

Didn't you just tell us to get over the O'Reilly trade? Get over Vesey. 

11 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Did you not think that Sheary was useless for much of last season?

If you were offered Vesey in exchange for Sheary, how would you respond?

I would say no. Sheary is the better player by all available metrics other than height. 

• Thanks (+1) 2

1 hour ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Didn't you just tell us to get over the O'Reilly trade? Get over Vesey. 

I haven't mentioned Vesey until he was brought into this thread. I just don't like the principal of trading for a guy who chose elsewhere.  

Edited by inkman

3 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Based on the fact that Sheary is fully cooked and was essentially useless for most of last season, while Vesey is younger, bigger and may have more upside.

I would certainly rather have Kreider, but he would cost a lot more than Vesey and I’m skeptical that the Rangers will end up trading him.  

You’re right that Vesey would cause angst in some fans, but I think it would be a small minority.  

Have you watched a game against Vesey?

3 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Based on the fact that Sheary is fully cooked and was essentially useless for most of last season, while Vesey is younger, bigger and may have more upside.

Lol. 

Vesey is a 3 year nhl vet who's already 26. Compared to Sheary who is 27 and a 4 year vet. So basically you just want someone bigger. 

39 minutes ago, inkman said:

I just don't like the principal of trading for a guy who chose elsewhere

So you didn't want Jim Kelly to play for the Bills?

(Yes I know we didn't trade for him but he said unequivocally he'd never play for the Bills.)

Edited by Doohickie

2 hours ago, inkman said:

I feel this is akin to saying:

Didn't some Bills kicker miss a kick to win an important game a while back.

I'm sure I'm overstating it a bit but to have no recollection of his tie to the Sabres is beyond my comprehension.

No recollection would have been "who"?

Which is what I felt like saying to begin with ?

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Lol. 

Vesey is a 3 year nhl vet who's already 26. Compared to Sheary who is 27 and a 4 year vet. So basically you just want someone bigger. 

I fundamentally don't understand the hate that Sheary gets. Were people's expectations especially unrealistic? He's a solid 3rd line player who produced as such. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I fundamentally don't understand the hate that Sheary gets. Were people's expectations especially unrealistic? He's a solid 3rd line player who produced as such. 

He was almost exactly what I thought he'd be. I wanted a little more but I was not disappointed. 

26 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

So you didn't want Jim Kelly to play for the Bills?

(Yes I know we didn't trade for him but he said unequivocally he'd never play for the Bills.)

I didn't like him, that's for sure. I can't tie it to his USFL jaunt.  I just diliked his persona. 

35 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Lol. 

I mean. Duh!  ?

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

SB Nation Minnesota Wild’s Blog proposed a trade of Jason Zucker to the Sabres for 31 and Nylander. 

Thoughts? 

Is 31 a goalie or something?  I don't know their numbers. ?

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

He was that player at the beginning and the end of the season.

For me it was the 40-something games in the middle where he scored exactly 3 goals and gave us literally nothing else - no forecheck, no backcheck, no breakout and some of worst puck battle and engagement I’ve seen since the days of Marc-Andre Gragnani.

Forgive me for channeling @nfreeman, but when the season was on the line he was nowhere to be found.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

SB Nation Minnesota Wild’s Blog proposed a trade of Jason Zucker to the Sabres for 31 and Nylander. 

Thoughts? 

I think zucker would help and we can afford to use those assets, but I’d prefer we used them for a centre.

I also think one of those assets needs to be dialed back; the Blues 2 and Nylander? P31 and CJ Smith?

That’s basically what we paid for Montour and he’s 4 years younger and an RD.

9 minutes ago, dudacek said:

For me it was the 40-something games in the middle where he scored exactly 3 goals and gave us literally nothing else - no forecheck, no backcheck, no breakout and some of worst puck battle and engagement I’ve seen since the days of Marc-Andre Gragnani.

Forgive me for channeling @nfreeman, but when the season was on the line he was nowhere to be found.

A MAG reference. Love it. 

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I think zucker would help and we can afford to use those assets, but I’d prefer we used them for a centre.

I also think one of those assets needs to be dialed back; the Blues 2 and Nylander? P31 and CJ Smith?

That’s basically what we paid for Montour and he’s 4 years younger and an RD.

Ooooooooh. 31 is a draft pick. Man. Dumb this ***** down. 

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

We also have enough players that fall over at the slightest push.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, dudacek said:

Who did give us anything during that stretch? Why zero in on a 3rd liner? If he had performed the same way all season he'd have put up a top-6 season. Maybe a more equal distribution of those 35 points is what you're looking for, but that's just not how 3rd liners normally produce. In fact, I'd say the consistent 3rd liner is close to a myth 

Edited by TrueBlueGED

11 hours ago, Hoss said:

Have you watched a game against Vesey?

This is obnoxious.  

10 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Lol. 

Bigger and stronger.  And also different from the guy who was given an opportunity on a new team that needed something from him and did nothing with it.  

Just now, TrueBlueGED said:

Who did give us anything during that stretch? Why zero in on a 3rd liner? If he had performed the same way all season he'd have put up a top-6 season. 

To return to the original premise:  saying I’d rather have Vesey than Sheary isn’t “zeroing in” on Sheary.  My point wasn’t that there is an urgent need to get rid of Sheary — I was just using Sheary as an example of someone the Sabres have that Vesey would represent an upgrade over.  

He's not an upgrade, he's just bigger. You want a guy bigger and stronger who produces basically the same. Sheary has more upside production wise.

That's fine but I'm not a fan of wasting assets on a 3rd line guy when I need better top 6 players. 

• Like (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.