Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

We need more sub-par  defensemen that miss 1/3 of the season every year? 

I disagree that he is sub-par.  And injuries happen.  Ask Chara.  Do we need more over hyped prospects that turn into rejects (Fasching, Girgensons, Bailey, Baptiste, etc.)?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

McCabe is an excellent defensive defenseman, but as you mentioned Turcotte has First Line Center Potential, more than enough to make that deal. 

As Sean McDermott says. "Don't talk to me about potential.  I don't like that term."

Just now, Tondas said:

I disagree that he is sub-par.  And injuries happen.  Ask Chara.  Do we need more over hyped prospects that turn into rejects (Fasching, Girgensons, Bailey, Baptiste, etc.)?

We over-hyped those guys, nobody else did. And yeah injuries happen, but that doesn't mean you want a guy with an injury history. 

How is he not sub-par? He hits ~.24 ppg in his career and his possession numbers are less than great

16 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Even when healthy, I don't think he's been good enough to want to lock up for 6 years. I think it was 11 who originally suggested a few months ago not wanting to be the team to do this, and I'm with him. 

The only way I could see locking him up for 6 seasons is if Botterill is playing seriously long game wrt the Seattle draft.  Him still having 4 years left when Seattle is making their picks could effectively give the Sabres 4 protected D in that draft as I'd doubt Seattle would want that contract even though he'd be available.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, WildCard said:

We over-hyped those guys, nobody else did. And yeah injuries happen, but that doesn't mean you want a guy with an injury history. 

How is he not sub-par? He hits ~.24 ppg in his career and his possession numbers are less than great

ppg is a bad comparable for McCabe.  All Star Bill Hajt's ppg was .28.  4 time all star Mike Ramsey's ppg was .32.   That's a better comp since that's more his game (sound defense and PK).

Edited by Tondas

17 minutes ago, Tondas said:

ppg is a bad comparable for McCabe.  All Star Bill Hajt's ppg was .28.  4 time all star Mike Ramsey's ppg was .32.   That's a better comp since that's more his game (sound defense and PK).

But what about him says sound defense? I think people just say that about him because he doesn't do anything on offense, and he's physical, so by default he must be a sound defensive-defenseman 

23 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I wonder if the expansion draft makes him easier to move?

I will miss McCabe. He’s a foxhole soldier and we don’t have enough of those.

Right or wrong, I’ve also always associated him with the start of the US infusion to the Sabres. He’ll be missed by me for sure if he is moved. 

9 minutes ago, WildCard said:

But what about him says sound defense? I think people just say that about him because he doesn't do anything on offense, and he's physical, so by default he must be a sound defensive-defenseman 

I get it Wild and you make valid points.  I'm relying more on what I see, not analytics.  I just think McCabe (to the current make up of the Sabres) is more valuable than to move up 4 spots to take a shot at a prospect that is not a sure thing.  Some could make the argument that Mitch Marner is a better player than Jack Eichel even though he was selected 2 spots later.  It's a crap shoot and not worth trading McCabe to move up 4 picks in my opinion.

Edited by Tondas

18 minutes ago, Tondas said:

I get it Wild and you make valid points.  I'm relying more on what I see, not analytics.  I just think McCabe (to the current make up of the Sabres) is more valuable than to move up 4 spots to take a shot at a prospect that is not a sure thing.  Some could make the argument that Mitch Marner is a better player than Jack Eichel even though he was selected 2 spots later.  It's a crap shoot and not worth trading McCabe to move up 4 picks in my opinion.

Fair enough, it just depends on how much you want one of those top 3 guys. To me it's worth it, but we won't really know that answer for years anyways

Edited by WildCard
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Tondas said:

As Sean McDermott says. "Don't talk to me about potential.  I don't like that term."

Sorry Tondas when talking about Draft Prospects, the term potential is used to describe them in all sports particularly The NFL and NHL. 

Here’s a comparison between McCabe and Dahlin. Mc Cabe is the prototypical defensive defenseman.

3A3405CE-BBB8-4CB2-95F8-3025C754D284.jpeg

0FE6EBED-7BD3-4398-AD68-3F3C4F4DBE29.jpeg

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

I wonder if the expansion draft makes him easier to move?

I will miss McCabe. He’s a foxhole soldier and we don’t have enough of those.

Sabres move McCabe and Riso, start the season with this D corps that would make even the tank units blush:

Dahlin - Montour

Scandella - Nelson

Hunwick - Borgen

Edited by Thorny

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Sabres move McCabe and Riso, start the season with this D corps that would make even the tank units blush:

Dahlin - Montour

Scandella - Nelson

Hunwick - Borgen

2 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I like that people keep forgetting about Bogo.

...i'd also love to forget about Bogo. One more year!

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.