GDT: Tampa Bay Lightning at Buffalo Sabres, 7:30p EST NBCSN

MattPie

1 minute ago, Samson's Flow said:

As much as it was nice seeing Jack return in the Vancouver game, he was definitely nowhere near his usual self. If he has to play at 70% like last game, I don't see us with much of a chance tonight. He needs to be a difference maker.

I thought Eichel looked great in the 3rd period. I think whatever was bothering him in the 1st period slowed him down in the second a bit, like he wasn't into his game rhythm. 

1 minute ago, darksabre said:

I thought Eichel looked great in the 3rd period. I think whatever was bothering him in the 1st period slowed him down in the second a bit, like he wasn't into his game rhythm. 

I have the one Canuck goal in my head where Eichel looked labored in his skating/effort preventing him from covering his man who came down to the slot/goal mouth to score. IIRC McCabe had to try to cover two players as a result and couldn't tie up the goal scorer.

51 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I don't mind McGuire, but I find Emrick pretty annoying.  He's knowledgeable and passionate about the game, which is great, but he needs to talk about 30% less IMHO. 

Separately -- here are a few items I'd like to see tonight:

- Good goaltending -- Hutton played well for much of the Canucks game, but allowed 2 poor goals

- Reino ending up back with ERod and Sobotka, and either Pommer or TT with Jack and Skinner

- TT showing some offense

- Sharp, smart play in the D-zone, esp. from Risto -- otherwise TB will make it hurt

- Eichel looking healthy and rested

Good luck w/ that one. 

Of 633 NHL skaters with at least 50 minutes of ice time, Tage Thompson is 618th in expected goals percentage, and this includes defensemen, and all of the worst defensive defensemen you can picture, which means when he's on the ice the team gets a scoring chance once or twice in a blue moon.

He's also bottom 10 among 412 NHL forwards in the other metrics, scoring, possession and otherwise. 

Sorry to continue to complain about this, but Tage is putting up the numbers and metrics of the worst of the Sabres tank forwards, which is why he shouldn't be here. Especially because without him playing, we have four lines that post GOOD metrics for the first time in a decade. Line four spent ~10 games taking 60% of all shot attempts and being incredibly useful to resting our top 3 and tiring out the other team, until their game with Tage, when they were submarined and spent 75% of the ice time in their own zone chasing their tails. 

It's not good for Tage, it's not good for the Sabres, and it keeps happening. Berglund is four tiers of competence better than Thompson. Thompson should be in the AHL, as he is roughly the 16th best healthy forward in this organization. 

Don't mean to complain in the GDT this early, but these guys aren't helping themselves against a ridiculously good team tonight. 

Sh*t, you can't watch NBCSN games on NHL.TV, can you. I might not be able to watch too much of this one then! 

• Like (+1) 2

I know the GDT rules, but what the hell are those logos Matt?

+++++

MUST WIN!!

+++++

A very big test for the Sabres, but I dare say the same for TB.  Yes.  Yes I do say  that ... the Sabres are testing to play against.  What an awesome thing to say, I must say.

+++++

GO SABRES!!

+++++

Who will be the goaler tonight ... WE WANT ULLIE!!  WE WANT ULLIE!!  (well I do anyway) ...

8 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

+++++

MUST WIN!!

+++++

A very big test for the Sabres, but I dare say the same for TB.  Yes.  Yes I do say  that ... the Sabres are testing to play against.  What an awesome thing to say, I must say.

+++++

GO SABRES!!

+++++

Who will be the goaler tonight ... WE WANT ULLIE!!  WE WANT ULLIE!!  (well I do anyway) ...

Sorry NS, but after that firewagon hockey game that Ullmark played (poorly) in last week, I don't mind giving Hutton a few more starts.

5 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

3) Logo hate was grandfathered into the rules so that's ok

Obviously you don't know the GDT rules Mr. used to be N S

???

Not exactly sure why you want Ullie but I may have to correct myself depending on how the game goes. TB gave up 6 to Ottawa so we may be in trouble tonight.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Good luck w/ that one. 

Of 633 NHL skaters with at least 50 minutes of ice time, Tage Thompson is 618th in expected goals percentage, and this includes defensemen, and all of the worst defensive defensemen you can picture, which means when he's on the ice the team gets a scoring chance once or twice in a blue moon.

He's also bottom 10 among 412 NHL forwards in the other metrics, scoring, possession and otherwise. 

-snip-

Yeah I have little interest in continuing the Tage Thompson experiment at the NHL level. He needs lots of ice time in a lower level until he figures out that the toe drag dangle shouldn't be your go-to move unless you are playing in a bar league C league. I see the talent, but the decision making and grasp of the game is not NHL level at this point and it is hurting the Sabres big time.

I don't think there's any way to predict how this will turn out: blow-out, win, OT, close loss, aliens landing center ice, shut out for The Hutt, etc. etc.  Which is not to say the Sabres have been terribly inconsistent, it's just that they've made it easy to expect a full spectrum of outcomes. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.