UPDATE: Sam Reinhart signs 2-year extension -- $3.65MM per year

dudacek

13 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I think a 1-year deal is the least likely outcome.  Neither Reino nor the Sabres will want it.  

To elaborate, I think he was offered a 1yr prove it deal this summer which he sat on for a bit. Once camp started getting close, Reinhart decided and said no. Now the sides are seeing if a bridge or a multi-year contract works. This makes it much more complicated which is why he hasn't signed. 

I made a joke earlier about the KHL, but I then looked at the salaries in that league.  It isn't a real threat.

The worry, IMHO, is that Reino holds out and misses a substantial portion of camp.  I think that would increase the risk of another terrible start by him.

I don't blame him for wanting to make as much cash as he can get, but if JBott doesn't want to give him a long-term deal, I think Reino's interests will be best served by signing a short-term deal and getting into camp.

• Like (+1) 3

This may be something that is recurring with Reinhart..if he signs a one year deal...this may happen again next year. If he signs a 2 year deal, it will happen again in 2 years....

Thats not to say that Sam is they type of guy who is always going to hold out.  Instead it is the type of player he is on the ice.

JBot values speed, we see that and he says that.  Thats NOT to say he doesn't value Reinhart.  He probably thinks he is a good player and might want him on the Sabres. BUT, because he values speed SO MUCH, he is always going to value Sam a bit less than other teams might.  Eventually, there may be enough friction that develops there that both sides think a 'change of scenery' may be best long term.  I don't think we are there yet though.

Athletic has an analysis piece this morning that shows players in Sam’s situation generally end up underpaid.

https://theathletic.com/524175/2018/09/14/as-an-rfa-william-nylanders-going-to-be-underpaid-but-the-longer-talks-go-on-the-more-undervalued-he-will-be/

Piece also rips Risto as the exception to that rule.

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

Athletic has an analysis piece this morning that shows players in Sam’s situation generally end up underpaid.

https://theathletic.com/524175/2018/09/14/as-an-rfa-william-nylanders-going-to-be-underpaid-but-the-longer-talks-go-on-the-more-undervalued-he-will-be/

Piece also rips Risto as the exception to that rule.

Good article, but I have a serious question about Risto.  Who has he played with and how much support has he been given 5 on 5 by his forwards.  Hard to pass the puck to someone who isn’t back checking or a D partner who isn’t in position to take the pass.  I’m curious how playing with Scandella changed the graphics used in the article.  Also it should be noted that TM gave Risto his deal.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

My guess is that it is Reinhart asking for too much (or JBots offering too low) on a long term and maybe JBots is leaning towards a 2 year deal. I think the very same thing is happening with Nurse and Morrissey. The team is probably offering them a 2 year show me contract. 3-3.5m per year.

55 minutes ago, stenbaro said:

This contract should have been done already. It not being done is dereliction of duty on JNots. Hang him.?

Until the deal is done, we won't know which one (or maybe both) was/were the unreasonable party.  (While it certainly was possible both have a reasonable view of Sam's value, the fact that camp is open and he's not signed says somebody's unrealistic.)   If Botterill has put a reasonable offer on the table, Reinhart not being in camp isn't on him.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.