UPDATE: Sam Reinhart signs 2-year extension -- $3.65MM per year

dudacek

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

This has become one of the most routine things for RFAs that there is, it seems. I'm not going to worry unless I'm watching a Sam-less Sabres take on Boston October 4th. Then I'll be pretty pissed.

Same. It’s all mostly meaningless. Not ideal that he’s missing time with the guys in camp but eh.

From Garth today:

It's not a good look for Reinhart, who clearly is holding out hope that Botterill will relent and agree to a multi-year contract for the former second overall pick at the 2014 NHL Draft. I'm told that Reinhart is not interested in signing a bridge contract. Reinhart scored 25 goals and 25 assists last season. 

Reinhart and his agent want a long term deal at an average annual value in the range of Jason Zucker and J.T. Miller (5 years @ $5.5M AAV) Dylan Larkin ( 5 years, $6.1M AAV) range.

9 hours ago, erickompositör72 said:

JBot will blink, not Samson (and/or his agent)

Samson has more reason to be bitter - drafted 2nd overall to a tanking team, not given the opportunity to produce at the level he feels capable of... he's not going to budge, and he has ground to stand on in that regard.

Botterill has all the leverage. If Reinhart doesn't budge, he sits out. 

If that's true, and Reinhart is asking for a 5.5M AAV long term deal (provided he's willing to go longer than 5 years), I'd say Botterill is the one playing hard ball. That's a very reasonable ask from Sam and I'd sign him to that deal today. 

On 9/16/2018 at 10:06 AM, Andrew Amerk said:

Garth has never been a source of reliability. 

But there's also this. 

Reinhart is playing a losing game of chicken.  If Thompson and Nylander continue to impress, Jbot has no reason to budge on Reinhart’s deal.  Personally, I like the idea of a big winger on Jack’s line and Thompson fits that description.

Without Samson the lineup looks something like this

Skinner Eichel Thompson

Sheary Mittelstadt Okposo

Erod Berglund Pominville

Girgensons Sobotka Baptiste

Wilson/Larsson

it’s really not all that different.  Thompson has the speed and hands to play with Jack.  If he is willing to fore-check, he might be a better fit with Jack over Reinhart.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Reinhart is playing a losing game of chicken.  If Thompson and Nylander continue to impress, Jbot has no reason to budge on Reinhart’s deal.  Personally, I loke the idea of a big winger on Jack’s line and Thompson fits that description.

Skinner Eichel Thompson

Erod Berglund Pominville

Wilson/Larsson

it’s really not all that different.  Thompson has the speed and hands to play with Jack.  If he is willing to fore-check, he might be a better fit with Jack over Reinhart.

my friend and i discussed this a bit.  Skinner-Eichel-Thompson could be awesome.  Thompson could be Andreychuk-esque cleaning up the dirt and pounding in rebounds for years.

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

Fifteen NHL players signed contracts last season between October 1 and 4. 

What does this have to do with Reinhart’s situation?  15 players could be UFAs, guys on PTOs, not just RFAs.  

What would be relevant is how many RFAs signed late and what kind of season did they have without camp?

4 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Reinhart is playing a losing game of chicken.  If Thompson and Nylander continue to impress, Jbot has no reason to budge on Reinhart’s deal.  Personally, I like the idea of a big winger on Jack’s line and Thompson fits that description.

Skinner Eichel Thompson

Erod Berglund Pominville

Wilson/Larsson

Sheary's injury validates Reinhart's position somewhat. Winger depth is looking a little weak without either. 

4 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Skinner Eichel Thompson

Erod Berglund Pominville

Wilson/Larsson

I think assuming that Thompson is going to project to being better than Reinhart is giving Tage a bit more credit than he's earned thus far. It could certainly happen but its far from a guarantee.

1 hour ago, erickompositör72 said:

Just curious- is it odd that he's not participating in camp/preseason? Did many of those players not participate until contract signing?

Definitely not odd, this happens every season with players. Now it's one of ours. It'll get done before the season starts. If it isn't, then it's time to be pretty angry at someone. If those players did not have a contract, then they did not participate in the camp. So the only ones that did were guys like Jack who still had a year left. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.