UPDATE: Sam Reinhart signs 2-year extension -- $3.65MM per year

dudacek

Well then I wonder if they only gave him his qualifying offer plus a little more and he doesn't want to sign it. 

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

What are those categories?

I just looked it up. 

Capfriendly had this

1. The player is on an entry-level contract.
  2. The player has signed a one-year contract and is over 35 years old.
  3. The player has signed a one-year contract after returning from a long-term injury (has played 400 or more games, and spent 100 or more days on the Injured Reserve in the last year of their most recent contract).
Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 1

I wonder if the Sabres are tinkering with the idea of moving him back to Center? If so are they trying to come to some agreement on how he should be paid at that position as opposed to a winger?? They now have a multitude of players who can play both spots and if he's in at Center do they move all the vets to surround Sam and Casey?? I can see JBotts wanting Sam to still prove not only on how he'll play but where and Sam's side of the story being quit moving me around and play and pay me.

The key is what do JBotts and Phil really think of Sam and his play.

Maybe JBotts is waiting to see what happens with Nylander in Toronto? Nylander has finished 3rd on the Leafs the past two seasons at 61 pts each season as has an average of .73 pts per game.   Reinhart has finished 3rd on the Sabres the past two seasons with 47 and 50 point seasons. Sam for his career has a .56 pts per game.  

I would say there two contracts should be very similar with Nylander's slightly higher.

34 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I wonder if people remember when Jack Eichel signed his second contract. Or Ristolainen. Or Hodgson. Or Myers. Or Stafford. Hint: The kids were in school for every single one.

Yup, Risto was skating with the team in training camp without a new deal. 

Since everyone else is speculating, I think there likely is a 6-year deal on the table that Botterill is trying to keep as close to $5 million per as possible and Reinhart’s agent is trying to push as close to $6 million as he can.

They will meet somewhere in between close to training camp. Neither side gains much by agreeing to anything now.

1 minute ago, nfreeman said:

My guess on the status remains the same:  he will sign and will play for the Sabres, but the 2 sides are fairly far apart -- and it's because JBott doesn't want to give him a long-term deal.

I agree they are fairly far apart, but it’s because JBott wants to get him on an Arvidsson deal.

If he was adamant on a short-term deal, it would have been relatively easy to do and probably would be done.

33 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I agree they are fairly far apart, but it’s because JBott wants to get him on an Arvidsson deal.

If he was adamant on a short-term deal, it would have been relatively easy to do and probably would be done. 

Why?  Reino might not be interested in a ST deal at all, or only at $6MM+ per year, and JBott might not be interested at that level.

15 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Why?  Reino might not be interested in a ST deal at all, or only at $6MM+ per year, and JBott might not be interested at that level.

Because we all read into these things what we want to read? ?

Seriously, though, Sam’s camp should know there is no way he can leverage Botterill into a long-term deal if Botterill feels the same way about Sam as you do. Therefore, if Sam really wants a long-term deal, the best course of action is to sign a one-year deal and make Botterill pay through the nose 12 months from now. 

Whats funny about this thread is that for all the comparables and deductions we put forth, it all boils down to what you think of Sam. The long-term guys think strike now and you might get a front-line player for a top-six contract, like Bergeron or Schiefele. The short-termers say why risk it because they doubt he is anything more than a career second-line winger at best and don’t want to be tied long-term to another Ennis, Hodgson or Stafford.

Edited by dudacek

37 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Eichel and Myers were both extensions which make it a little different than Sam's situation.

Regardless, Ennis is the only touted youngster coming off an ELC that I can remember signing early in the past decade here.

Sams situation is hardly unusual.

The idea that "signing him to some sort of 'prove it' deal is beneficial" is flawed- it is really just self-defeating. If he lacks effort and only plays for a contract, he will put up great numbers for his "prove it" years, and then demand a big pay-day.

If we leverage his fall '17 against his 2018, we are more likely to get him long term at a good value for his skills. If he doesn't reach his absolute ceiling, we're paying him what he's worth. If he does, it will be one of the best contracts out there.

If he plays amazing in his "prove-it" contract, we will have to pay him much more, and almost guaranteed he'll demand 8 years. Nothing is to stop him thereafter from not trying, if he is what some fear (lacking effort).

I see locking him up long-term right now to have the least risk/highest reward potential.

Edited by erickompositör72

On 8/12/2018 at 3:55 PM, Hoss said:

There’s a reason I was turned off and stayed away for almost two years. Seems to be mostly a more welcoming place these days so that’s appreciated.

I remember having thought about Reinhart vs Sharp so early that I mentioned him wearing 10 in Kootenay as a connection.

Why do people want to fight over a Sharp comparison? Their playing styles are nothing alike. 

In SweetLou's defense he and I assume many others are frustrated that Jbot, who has been so diligent in making over this roster hasn't yet managed to sign a key RFA.  

However, this isn't unusual.  There are still a bunch of significant RFAs still unsigned.  Nylander, Nurse, Theodore, Schmaltz, Hanifin, Morrissey and Miles Wood still don't have deals in place.  

This isn't something to worry about. Camp opens on 9/14.  If he isn't signed by then, then we can start to worry.

Having speed and being fast doesn't mean you play the game faster.     Samson sees it well and the reason he and Eichel play well together is that they can see the game at the same pace.

I don't want a trade for a player who is just "fast".

Edited by Huckleberry

19 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

In SweetLou's defense he and I assume many others are frustrated that Jbot, who has been so diligent in making over this roster hasn't yet managed to sign a key RFA.  

However, this isn't unusual.  There are still a bunch of significant RFAs still unsigned.  Nylander, Nurse, Theodore, Schmaltz, Hanifin, Morrissey and Miles Wood still don't have deals in place.  

This isn't something to worry about. Camp opens on 9/14.  If he isn't signed by then, then we can start to worry.

I don't think it is a Jbot thing. I think he offered a deal and Reinhart isn't sure he wants to sign it. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.