UPDATE: Sam Reinhart signs 2-year extension -- $3.65MM per year

dudacek

3 hours ago, Thorny said:

Sheary's injury validates Reinhart's position somewhat. Winger depth is looking a little weak without either. 

I hope not.  I really don't want to think the Sabres will give in to demands (maybe for a multi-year deal) that they otherwise would not have because of one early preseason injury.

8 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Reinhart is playing a losing game of chicken.  If Thompson and Nylander continue to impress, Jbot has no reason to budge on Reinhart’s deal.  Personally, I like the idea of a big winger on Jack’s line and Thompson fits that description.

Without Samson the lineup looks something like this

Skinner Eichel Thompson

Sheary Mittelstadt Okposo

Erod Berglund Pominville

Girgensons Sobotka Baptiste

Wilson/Larsson

it’s really not all that different.  Thompson has the speed and hands to play with Jack.  If he is willing to fore-check, he might be a better fit with Jack over Reinhart.

I don't think that's the right way to look at it. Thompson being a better fit with Eichel would be great but that doesn't replace Reinhardt, that pushes to a different line. Would you rather have Reinhardt or Pominville/Baptiste on the roster?

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I disagree.  Reinhart is a RW or C.  Sheary's injury helps ERod, Nylander, and others but it doesn't make us desperate to sign Reinhart.  

The idea is that the talent in our top 6 as a whole is taking a hit with Sheary gone, which is only compounded by Reinhart missing as well. The detriment of playing without Reinhart increases as depth is lost due to injury. 

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

I hope not.  I really don't want to think the Sabres will give in to demands (maybe for a multi-year deal) that they otherwise would not have because of one early preseason injury.

I don't think they will, it's just something to consider. Sam has so little leverage, injuries to roster players are the only thing that really has any affect in his "favor", in terms of value negotiations. 

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

The idea is that the talent in our top 6 as a whole is taking a hit with Sheary gone, which is only compounded by Reinhart missing as well. The detriment of playing without Reinhart increases as depth is lost due to injury. 

I don't think they will, it's just something to consider. Sam has so little leverage, injuries to roster players are the only thing that really has any affect in his "favor", in terms of value negotiations. 

I disagree. I think Samson has decent leverage. 22 year old wingers who can play center, if needed, and are good for 25 goals and 60 points a season, don’t grow on trees. 

Pay the man, and get him used to his new teammates ASAP. 

8 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

I disagree. I think Samson has decent leverage. 22 year old wingers who can play center, if needed, and are good for 25 goals and 60 points a season, don’t grow on trees. 

Pay the man, and get him used to his new teammates ASAP. 

I get what you are saying, but my statement wasn't really a comment on Sam but RFAs in his position in general. They don't have much leverage in the sense that all they can do is refuse to play. Even if they sit out a full season, they'd find themselves in the same spot next season. Without a year of accrued service towards UFA. Maybe if offer sheets were actually a thing they'd have something to work with, but as is, Sam's one and only chip is to sit. 

It's why they nearly always end up signing. 

Edited by Thorny

15 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I get what you are saying, but my statement wasn't really a comment on Sam but RFAs in his position in general. They don't have much leverage in the sense that all they can do is refuse to play. Even if they sit out a full season, they'd find themselves in the same spot next season. Without a year of accrued service towards UFA. Maybe if offer sheets were actually a thing they'd have something to work with, but as is, Sam's one and only chip is to sit. 

It's why they nearly always end up signing. 

I appreciate the clarification. I just think the Sabres need him, more than Sam needs Buffalo. I’m willing to bet there’s plenty of teams willing to meet his asking terms. 

If Botts thinks he’s part of the future, then give him his deal. 

• Like (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Does that make him an RFA at the end of that still?

Still under 27 and less than 7 years of service time. He'll still be an RFA for 2 more years after the 2 year bridge expires.

Right, cap/CBA guys and girls?

• Thanks (+1) 1

Seems look a good deal, at least insofar as the fans are concerned -- manageable cap hit and a motivated top-6 forward.

I have to believe that the holdup was Reinhart looking for more term. So, did he blink?

1 minute ago, tom webster said:

And Sam blinked.

I tend to agree.

On 9/15/2018 at 6:49 PM, Ducky said:

My guess is that it is Reinhart asking for too much (or JBots offering too low) on a long term and maybe JBots is leaning towards a 2 year deal. I think the very same thing is happening with Nurse and Morrissey. The team is probably offering them a 2 year show me contract. 3-3.5m per year.

hat tip to you, @Ducky

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Could it be that Botts was able to sell Sam's camp a more friendly deal cap wise for now with the promise if Sam continues his development he'll get the much bigger payday when our cap room is more favorable?

some good money coming off the books after this year, Moulson for example.  I think you're right

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.