Poor Jack & Congratulate Thorny on his Marriage Thread

Doohickie

Here's Dahlin walking around with Gilbert

https://twitter.com/BuffaloSabres/status/1011725611176513536

Poor Jack. He's no longer the premier player on the team. Do you think it helps or hurts him?

Did the Sabres give Jack this much attention?  I don't think so.  I think part of it is because Dahlin has never been to Buffalo (and barely knew anything about it) so it makes sense to introduce him to the city (and really, to the U.S.)

I wonder how Eichel will receive the Sabres' new wunderkind.  Does he see Dahlin as a needed piece, a valued teammate?  Or will the attention Dahlin gets rankle Jack and drive a wedge between the two stars? 

Will Jack's party-boy (I'm comin' for ya!) persona clash with Dahlin's all business demeanor?  Will Dahlin call Jack out if he thinks Jack isn't giving his all?

Will Dahlin end up with the C?

We've been drooling over defensive pairings since the Sabres won the lottery, but will having a new best player on the team sit well with the player formerly known as the best player?

Thoughts?

Edited by Doohickie

I think Botterill sent Jack home with a promise he is bringing in better players, but also a very clear message that isn’t all that is needed to turn this around; Jack has to be the change he wants to see.

I think Jack desperately wants to win and is at a point in his career where he has matured enough to stop cutting corners and avoiding accountability. I think that by the time training camp comes around, the room will be ready to accept his leadership and he will be ready to give it.

I have no concerns about Rasmus. I expect Jack to understand it’s in his best interest to welcome him and challenge him. I expect Rasmus to soak that up and eventually start challenging Jack right back. And I think Jack should be at a point in his growth that he relishes that.

That mix of internal support and competition -the understanding that the success of your teammates and the success of yourself feed off each other - is key to successful teams.

Timing is everything and I think Rasmus has arrived at precisely the right time.

Edited by dudacek

They'll be fine. I'm guessing once Jack teaches Rasmus how to fire a zit shot into the opposing team's bench they'll be best of buddies. I can see them now just firing away at Marchand as he closes in for a lick.

Do you know the money these guys can make together doing Clearasil commercials.

Edited by jsb

Jack is thrilled. Dahlin in a couple of years will help get Jack to 100 pts.

This. From all accounts jack is ultra competitive (atleast that's what the talking heads said). I think he will throw a giddy fit if the team doesn't improve the next year or two.

They'll be fine. I'm guessing once Jack teaches Rasmus how to fire a zit shot into the opposing team's bench they'll be best of buddies. I can see them now just firing away at Marchand as he closes in for a lick.

Do you know the money these guys can make together doing Clearasil commercials.

:w00t:

If there is anything to say Poor Jack about it is this

https://twitter.com/dibiasewgr/status/1011345154538602498?s=21

Peters and Rivet were having a huge debate about whether Baptiste should get a chance with Jack.

Peters was “he’s fast and he can score goal scorers goals.” Rivet was “he has to prove he can play on the 3rd line before he plays on the 1st. He has to earn it.”

I’m like the guys who are playing with Jack now have not only not earned it, they had extended opportunities and failed miserably. Doesn’t really matter what the guys behind Pominville and Girgensons have proven or not proven. What matters is giving someone else a shot.

Edited by dudacek

I think Botterill sent Jack home with a promise he is bringing in better players, but also a very clear message that isn’t all that is needed to turn this around; Jack has to be the change he wants to see.

I think Jack desperately wants to win and is at a point in his career where he has matured enough to stop cutting corners and avoiding accountability. I think that by the time training camp comes around, the room will be ready to accept his leadership and he will be ready to give it.

I have no concerns about Rasmus. I expect Jack to understand it’s in his best interest to welcome him and challenge him. I expect Rasmus to soak that up and eventually start challenging Jack right back. And I think Jack should be at a point in his growth that he relishes that.

That mix of internal support and competition -the understanding that the success of your teammates and the success of yourself feed off each other - is key to successful teams.

Timing is everything and I think Rasmus has arrived at precisely the right time.

This is my hope.

Peters and Rivet were having a huge debate about whether Baptiste should get a chance with Jack.

Peters was “he’s fast and he can score goal scorers goals.” Rivet was “he has to prove he can play on the 3rd line before he plays on the 1st. He has to earn it.”

I’m like the guys who are playing with Jack now have not only not earned it, they had extended opportunities and failed miserably. Doesn’t really matter what the guys behind Pominville and Girgensons have proven or not proven. What matters is giving someone else a shot.

At this point, who else is there? Baptists might not be the long term solution but until they find someone--Vanek?--to score goals, I'd give him a shot.

Poor Jack. He's no longer the premier player on the team. Do you think it helps or hurts him?

Did the Sabres give Jack this much attention?  I don't think so.  I think part of it is because Dahlin has never been to Buffalo (and barely knew anything about it) so it makes sense to introduce him to the city (and really, to the U.S.)

I wonder how Eichel will receive the Sabres' new wunderkind.  Does he see Dahlin as a needed piece, a valued teammate?  Or will the attention Dahlin gets rankle Jack and drive a wedge between the two stars? 

Will Jack's party-boy (I'm comin' for ya!) persona clash with Dahlin's all business demeanor?  Will Dahlin call Jack out if he thinks Jack isn't giving his all?

We've been drooling over defensive pairings since the Sabres won the lottery, but will having a new best player on the team sit well with the player formerly known as the best player?

Thoughts?

I am thinking I should question your loyalties. You sound like a political or fox/news reporter trying to gin up controversy before anything has even gotten started. So are you actually a Sabres fan?

I love the narrative, but it begs a serious question:  why do you think this?  What facts are there to support it?

I love the narrative, but it begs a serious question:  why do you think this?  What facts are there to support it?

It’s completely speculation, based on the journey I’ve seen of Jack from a generally likeable, overly confident rookie to an at-times petulant sophomore to his more cool, businesslike, ready-for-change attitude during the exit this year.

I think he’s basically a good kid who hasn’t seen much adversity in his life.

I also think he’s driven and expects a lot out of himself.

I think he will learn from the adversity he’s gone through.

Purely armchair psychology filtered through my generally optimistic lens.

Thoughts?

I think you are jumping the gun a bit. Jack is still the premier player on this team. I fully expect Rasmus to join him in short order, but he is an 18 year old being asked to play the toughest position outside of goaltender. He is the shiny new toy. I get the excitement but I would hold off on the coronation for a week or two. I also believe Jack will,welcome the help and offer the same to help him get up to speed asap. I do not think of it as having a premier player replacing another but rather adding a premier d man to a premier center. All good.

Dahlin’s intro video is almost frame for frame identical to Eichel’s. Including the visit to KeyBank (fka First Niagara).

Oh yeah, to be honest I recall Jack being hyped more. 

We sold out FNC for the same thing that Dahlin will play in Harbor Center because of Jack.

This is still awesome though. My snot brother got to meet Rasmus today. I had to teach him who Dahlin was like in March. 

It’s completely speculation, based on the journey I’ve seen of Jack from a generally likeable, overly confident rookie to an at-times petulant sophomore to his more cool, businesslike, ready-for-change attitude during the exit this year.

I think he’s basically a good kid who hasn’t seen much adversity in his life.

I also think he’s driven and expects a lot out of himself.

I think he will learn from the adversity he’s gone through.

Purely armchair psychology filtered through my generally optimistic lens.

We also have that wonderful, possibly meaningless, possibly everything turning point in the skate with Phil by himself last year. At least with respect to any other NHL team's focal point, I never saw Jack slack off in a meaningful way again after that, and while hearing plenty of frustration, he has since said all the right things and taken a generally good attitude about them.

His tone and content in interviews changed drastically by season's end. Night and day type stuff. No reason to think he hasn't matured. 

Hear ye hear ye, Jack Eichel will be fine.

He has to be named captain this offseason, correct?

I mean this in all seriousness. If dahlin being talented and a 1st overall pick bothers Eichel enough that it impacts his attitude or on ice performance negatively, trade the ###### out of him.

As evidenced by your post a few below this - the reason you can say this with all seriousness,  is because you know it won't.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.