Around the NHL 2018-2019

WildCard

48 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Well, what ELSE are we supposed to do until Thursday?

Fend off the guys overdoing the advanced stats in an attempt to make it seem like we’re still really bad three games into the season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

Remember when Tooth used to repel?

13 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

The Canes are enjoying their post game victory celebrations 

Hey - that’s a bit like what Jochen’s home German squad would do after a win. (Or, Euro teams generally.) I like it.

2 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Mathews is tearing up the score sheet right now. Toronto has one hell of a team to be sure.

Cripes - the guy might score 70.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

I've been wrong about things far more than I've been right, so I feel no shame in gloating, but I totally remember being the first to jump on the "hey the Leafs rebuild is way ahead of us" bandwagon and everyone here haaaaaaaaating that idea 

It went right along with dissing Mattews as a lesser prospect than Jack.  Total blue and gold colored glasses takes.

9 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

I've been wrong about things far more than I've been right, so I feel no shame in gloating, but I totally remember being the first to jump on the "hey the Leafs rebuild is way ahead of us" bandwagon and everyone here haaaaaaaaating that idea 

Way ahead of Buffalo? Where is Toronto right now if they don't have Tavares but they have Nylander in the lineup?  Are they 3-1-0?  I doubt it.

The Sabres win Thursday and they have the same record as the Leafs.  I think the Leafs are a better team, this year, but I don't think they will continue this pace for the year and I am curious where they will be next year when it comes to managing their salaries. 

They have 12 players on the roster that have expiring contracts and that does not include Nylander and what they do with him.

The question regarding the Leafs is sustainability.

9 minutes ago, LTS said:

Way ahead of Buffalo? Where is Toronto right now if they don't have Tavares but they have Nylander in the lineup?  Are they 3-1-0?  I doubt it.

The Sabres win Thursday and they have the same record as the Leafs.  I think the Leafs are a better team, this year, but I don't think they will continue this pace for the year and I am curious where they will be next year when it comes to managing their salaries. 

They have 12 players on the roster that have expiring contracts and that does not include Nylander and what they do with him.

The question regarding the Leafs is sustainability.

Why? At this time last year they were....*drum roll*.... 3-1 with 25 goals scored. They finished the year with the 7th most points in the league. 

It's amazing how many people are still in denial about how good the Leafs are. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Why? At this time last year they were....*drum roll*.... 3-1 with 25 goals scored. They finished the year with the 7th most points in the league. 

It's amazing how many people are still in denial about how good the Leafs are. 

Denial?  Did I not say they were the better team in my post? Did I say they were not good? No.  What are you pointing out?

For all the glory to the Leafs the fact is they are 1 win more than the Sabres right now. Does that put them further ahead on the rebuild? Not on paper.

The Leafs will have to shore up their defense to make a run at the Cup. Perhaps they can do that by trading Nylander.  The fact remains that they will have 12 players that need contracts next year.  Last year they were +6 in GA/GF differential, they are only +3 now.  Last year JvR had a good portion of the offense after a whole 4 games.

I'll consider the Leafs a threat for the Cup when they can shut down other teams.  Right now they can only hope to outgun them.

23 minutes ago, LTS said:

For all the glory to the Leafs the fact is they are 1 win more than the Sabres right now. Does that put them further ahead on the rebuild? Not on paper.

The Leafs will have to shore up their defense to make a run at the Cup. Perhaps they can do that by trading Nylander.  The fact remains that they will have 12 players that need contracts next year.  Last year they were +6 in GA/GF differential, they are only +3 now.  Last year JvR had a good portion of the offense after a whole 4 games.

I'll consider the Leafs a threat for the Cup when they can shut down other teams.  Right now they can only hope to outgun them.

That was a weird take.

The balance of the post makes sense to me. It's an enviable problem to have, though -- to be bombing other teams out and have a need for improvement on D.

The question is that D and who would trade for Nylander given how much $s he wants.  Bet Toronto doesnt get near their asking price unless a team is desperate near the deadline, but that means he sits 2/3 of the year.  Wonder if they settle on a 2 year bridge deal at 8 or 9. Could that work for them?