Around the NHL 2018-2019

WildCard

1 minute ago, That Aud Smell said:

well. it's not as though that guy went after mittlestadt. plus, a year in the SHL should be helping him.

Different positions, different skill sets, and much different experience levels. I'm nowhere near ready to compare Pettersson to Mitts. If Pettersson was bigger, at least a few GM's had him at #1

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-auston-matthews-patrick-kane-william-nylander/

Edited by WildCard
  • Like (+1) 1

Also

@FriedgeHNIC
Tyler Myers just got a 10-minute misconduct for giving the referees a fake applause. Jets have taken 8 penalties in a row

And Nolan's career trajectory in a nutshell

@NHLFlyers
INJURY UPDATE: #Flyers forward Nolan Patrick will be out with an upper-body injury for the next 7-10 days.

Just now, That Aud Smell said:

watching a youtube clip with friedman (sp?). apparently, pettersson was #1 on some teams' boards.

Peep my edit ?

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I had things work out nicely to where I was going to be able to relax and watch some non-Sabres hockey tonight for the first time this season. 

There is not a single NHL hockey game on tonight. 

Wut 

Canadian Thanksgiving was Monday so I have no idea 

10 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

In today's Senators-Kings game, Dion Phaneuf (LAK) is the defenseman that is getting the most money from the Ottawa Senators this season. 

I was sure I read at the start of this year he was thier third-highest paid D.  I see Ceci's on IR.  Who else did they get rid of, or am I nuts?

On 10/10/2018 at 12:52 PM, North Buffalo said:

Goalies are complaining about it, so my guess is yes. Heard a broadcast last night of a goalie stating his arms and sides have more bruises than he has ever had unless he blocks the shot with his blocker or catches it.

Good article about the shruken goalie gear... and yes they are all using the smaller chest protectors this season.    Final step is tighter form fitting jerseys.

https://theathletic.com/586149/2018/10/12/duhatschek-notebook-the-evolution-of-shrinking-goalie-gear-and-how-its-affecting-scoring-rates/

Edited by pi2000

I watched the first two periods of Laffs-Caps before our game started.  My one hope is that Toronto goes through the regular season like a buzzsaw, which they will, and then the clown-show that is thier backend gets found out in the playoffs when the whistles go away and defense is the major focus.  Clinging to that, honestly.  

Headlines tonight with some interesting tidbits...

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/headlines-kotkanemi-sticking-canadiens/

1. Matthews and Toronto are apparently getting heavy on contract talks. Five year deal is the term specifically mentioned which would be glorious for Matthews.

2. Nylander and Toronto still nowhere close. Interesting note from CJ is that if an offer sheet eclipses five years the AAV is no longer what applies to the conpensation chart. They just divide the total by five which makes the compensation steeper if you give, say, a seven-year offer.

3. Bobrovsky apparently wants as much or more than Carey Price ($10.5M per). That’s insane. The Islanders might be a fit, per their reporting.

3 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Headlines tonight with some interesting tidbits...

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/headlines-kotkanemi-sticking-canadiens/

1. Matthews and Toronto are apparently getting heavy on contract talks. Five year deal is the term specifically mentioned which would be glorious for Matthews.

2. Nylander and Toronto still nowhere close. Interesting note from CJ is that if an offer sheet eclipses five years the AAV is no longer what applies to the conpensation chart. They just divide the total by five which makes the compensation steeper if you give, say, a seven-year offer.

3. Bobrovsky apparently wants as much or more than Carey Price ($10.5M per). That’s insane. The Islanders might be a fit, per their reporting.

Even I will concede about 20% of pi's take to him if that happens. The rest will still be garbage of course 

1 minute ago, Randall Flagg said:

Even I will concede about 20% of pi's take to him if that happens. The rest will still be garbage of course 

Every player wants to get to free agency in their prime. They mention both Chicago guys did it.

2 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Every player wants to get to free agency in their prime. They mention both Chicago guys did it.

Agreed, and I don't fault his character for it, but it's some sort of look to be the only one of the 2-year-franchise-center-triumvirate to do it. 

Edited by Randall Flagg

4 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Matheson with the bodyslam on pettersson last night.    That should be a call at least.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/pettersson-injury-takes-shine-off-canucks-win-panthers/

Yeah, just another budding young superstar that might already have to start his career with a concussion history. 

Great job NHL.