Around the NHL 2018-2019

WildCard

4 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Right, what I'm saying is, why is it likely that their offense would but their defense wouldn't? With the same defensive players, they were 15th in the NHL in goals allowed last year, and still top 2 in ES goals scored. 

If anything, it's more likely that their goals allowed becomes a more reasonable number, but they remain elite at scoring. 

way to crap in my corn flakes....haha i was being optimistic

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

The Red Wings are changing all their seats in the lower bowls from red to black to hide the fact that they can't sell them out

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/2018/10/08/little-caesars-arena-red-seats-lower-bowl-attendance/1573228002/

That's a huge expense in a relatively new arena.  But if anyone doesn't think that it visually makes a difference, here's some evidence:

Red seats:

little-caesars-arena-attendancejpg-87d1e

Black seats:

image.jpg

The black seats (Staples) are actually wayyy more empty than the red (Little C's), but the red seats absolutely highlight the emptiness.

23 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

This isn't saying much, considering that his scoring rate could significantly decrease and still win him dozens of harts, art rosses, and richard trophies. 

We try, but there's no way to "feel good" about what is going on with Matthews and the Leafs right now, unless you truly believe that their offense is likely to stagnate but their defense is unlikely to allow fewer goals

The problem is, guys like Kapanen are sliding up into those roles and have a good chance at just being better, faster, smarter players than JVR/Bozak. 

I don't argue that but the almost identical is more the argument. I think they had enough change (and that was just the offense) that i argue that point.

12 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Right, what I'm saying is, why is it likely that their offense would but their defense wouldn't? With the same defensive players, they were 15th in the NHL in goals allowed last year, and still top 2 in ES goals scored. 

If anything, it's more likely that their goals allowed becomes a more reasonable number, but they remain elite at scoring. 

Is it though if there is an injury? Replacing one of the crappy D wouldn't hurt as much as an injury to even one of the "decent" forwards.

Does anybody know if the NHL is enforcing the slimmed down chest protectors for goalies this season? 

https://ingoalmag.com/gear/nhl-prepared-for-feedback-as-goalies-get-new-smaller-chest-protectors/

"The biggest measurement changes involve the elbow floater (or elbow box), arms and shoulder floaters, which were also referred to as clavicle protectors in past NHL rulebooks.

The shoulder floaters can’t be any wider than 5.5 inches at any point now, a significant reduction from the old 7-inch maximum. The maximum width of the elbow floater is now 6 inches compared to 7 inches in the old rules. Of course, that also meant reducing the width of the bicep and forearm pads in order to fit under that elbow box. The bicep pad is now 5.5 inches wide at the top and tapers down to 4.5 inches at the bottom, where it tucks inside the elbow floater. The forearm pad protection starts at 4.5 inches wide as it comes out below the elbow, and tapers down to 4 inches at the wrist.

This includes a new rule for the shoulder cap that sits at the edge of the shoulder, which can no longer project laterally beyond the goalie’s shoulder more than 1.5 inches. It’s a more concrete and enforceable way to prevent the shoulder cap from projecting well out to the side, which allowed some companies to create legal NHL units that looked a lot bigger than intended."

40 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

That's a huge expense in a relatively new arena.  But if anyone doesn't think that it visually makes a difference, here's some evidence:

Red seats:

little-caesars-arena-attendancejpg-87d1e

Black seats:

image.jpg

The black seats (Staples) are actually wayyy more empty than the red (Little C's), but the red seats absolutely highlight the emptiness.

Well there's your explanation for the empty seats... bounceyball

35 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Does anybody know if the NHL is enforcing the slimmed down chest protectors for goalies this season? 

https://ingoalmag.com/gear/nhl-prepared-for-feedback-as-goalies-get-new-smaller-chest-protectors/

"The biggest measurement changes involve the elbow floater (or elbow box), arms and shoulder floaters, which were also referred to as clavicle protectors in past NHL rulebooks.

The shoulder floaters can’t be any wider than 5.5 inches at any point now, a significant reduction from the old 7-inch maximum. The maximum width of the elbow floater is now 6 inches compared to 7 inches in the old rules. Of course, that also meant reducing the width of the bicep and forearm pads in order to fit under that elbow box. The bicep pad is now 5.5 inches wide at the top and tapers down to 4.5 inches at the bottom, where it tucks inside the elbow floater. The forearm pad protection starts at 4.5 inches wide as it comes out below the elbow, and tapers down to 4 inches at the wrist.

This includes a new rule for the shoulder cap that sits at the edge of the shoulder, which can no longer project laterally beyond the goalie’s shoulder more than 1.5 inches. It’s a more concrete and enforceable way to prevent the shoulder cap from projecting well out to the side, which allowed some companies to create legal NHL units that looked a lot bigger than intended."

Goalies are complaining about it, so my guess is yes. Heard a broadcast last night of a goalie stating his arms and sides have more bruises than he has ever had unless he blocks the shot with his blocker or catches it.

11 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

The question is that D and who would trade for Nylander given how much $s he wants.  Bet Toronto doesnt get near the asking price unless a team is desperate near the deadline, but that means he sits 2/3 of the year.  Wonder if they settle on a 2 year bridge deal at 8 or 9. Could that work for them?

He CAN'T sit 2/3's of the year (unless you were referring to the calendar year, which ends ~2 months before the trade deadline you referred to).  If he's not in the lineup at the beginning of December, his off-season just became the entire season.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

He CAN'T sit 2/3's of the year (unless you were referring to the calendar year, which ends ~2 months before the trade deadline you referred to).  If he's not in the lineup at the beginning of December, his off-season just became the entire season.

MWAAHAHAAAHAAAAAHAA

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

It sounds like Dylan Strome had a helluva game tonight, was driving play like he never has. I hope he turns into something special for them.

I don't. I want every player on every team to suck. Especially if they play for the Bruins or Leaves. 

• Like (+1) 3

21 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

I can't? 

They have a better winning percentage, fwiw.

Can you STOP ignoring that I said "on paper".  If I handed you a list of standings with the team names blacked out and you saw a team 3-1-0 and a team that was 2-1-0 would you say that the 3-1-0 team was significantly better or light years ahead or draw any inference?  No, you wouldn't.  That's my point. Right now, for all the Leafs have done, they aren't any further ahead.  Even last year would have shown something significantly more separated, but this year it hasn't shown, yet.

20 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Making the playoffs, by definition, is competing for the Cup. Now I know what you're saying, you might not think they can make a deep run as constructed, but they took a very good Boston team to 7 last year. It isn't like they make it and get swept while looking out of their league. 

But all of that is really besides the point. You're arguing that they aren't very far ahead of the Sabres. That's a really untenable position when the evidence is brought to bare. They are competing in the playoffs while we're drafting #1 overall. And for all the talk about their defense, they gave up fewer goals than the Caps last year. The Caps gave up 7 more goals, scored 18 fewer...and won the Cup. It's a hard sell to say the Leafs aren't good enough defensively when they allowed less and scored more than the team that actually won. 

And not for nothin, but the Leafs gave up 48 fewer goals than the Sabres last year. So again if your argument hinges on the their defensive capability, they're still significantly ahead. 

Is making the playoffs competing for the Cup?  I seem to recall how irritated everyone was getting on here when the Sabres kept finishing in 8th and "competing for the Cup". 

As for being further ahead, they have made the playoffs, but if all that comes crashing down next year because of them over-extending themselves then what will they have to show for it?  I wouldn't consider them a success until they reach the semi-finals. Until then they are just one of the many teams that make the play-offs and have nothing to show for it.

Let's examine the goals against stat you referred to.  The divisions they are in are somewhat responsible for skewing those numbers don't you think?

The Caps divisional opponents totaled: 1,712
The Leafs divisional opponents totaled: 1,638

It seems to me that given the strength of their divisional opponents and the extra games against them it might be expected that the Caps would give up more goals overall.

One more angle at this.  The finish line is 26.2 miles away from the start. Runner A has a 2 mile lead over Runner B at the 15 mile mark.  It appears that Runner A is superior but the finish line has not been reached.  Runner A suffers a problem at the 23 mile mark and Runner B catches up.  They cross line anywhere near each other, who was the better runner?

That's my point.  The Leafs may have shot forward fast, but they haven't reached the finish line.  

19 hours ago, pi2000 said:

This is the best Matthews we'll ever see in our lifetimes.

He has a history of starting fast, doesn't he?

50 minutes ago, LTS said:

Can you STOP ignoring that I said "on paper".  If I handed you a list of standings with the team names blacked out and you saw a team 3-1-0 and a team that was 2-1-0 would you say that the 3-1-0 team was significantly better or light years ahead or draw any inference?  No, you wouldn't.  That's my point. Right now, for all the Leafs have done, they aren't any further ahead.  Even last year would have shown something significantly more separated, but this year it hasn't shown, yet.

I'm not ignoring it. I just don't think that qualifier -- "on paper" -- insulates what you're saying from the critiques I'm offering. I also continue to fail to grasp what point is actually being made hereby. 

10 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I'm not ignoring it. I just don't think that qualifier -- "on paper" -- insulates what you're saying from the critiques I'm offering. I also continue to fail to grasp what point is actually being made hereby. 

It's probably not worth continuing to pursue. Let's just see what happens and we can discuss when there's more evidence.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, WildCard said:

@ScottRintoul
Aquilini says Canucks will retire the Sedins jerseys next year during the team’s 50th anniversary season

So does that mean we get our original blues back next year?

You want an organization that couldn't figure out how to serve beer and hotdogs to be smart enough to go back to the original color scheme that fans have been begging for for year? I'll believe it when I see it. 

btw, if they do a 3rd jersey that is just original colors while leaving the regular jersey alone, that doesn't count. 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

You want an organization that couldn't figure out how to serve beer and hotdogs to be smart enough to go back to the original color scheme that fans have been begging for for year? I'll believe it when I see it. 

btw, if they do a 3rd jersey that is just original colors while leaving the regular jersey alone, that doesn't count. 

I think the story is from the insiders that they are indeed going back to the original colors. A poster here (Claude Verret, maybe?) knows a guy in the org who has assured him that this is happening, and Claude gave us correct info about last year's WC jersey before it came out, so he's trustworthy on the subject.

Edited by Randall Flagg

2 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I think the story is from the insiders that they are indeed going back to the original colors. 

Should have done it yesterday. 

Kinda like how the Ducks have nostalgia night where they wear their original jerseys, they should have gone back to those yesterday. 

ff_1363141_xl.jpg&w=600

Edited by LGR4GM

On 10/10/2018 at 7:35 AM, TrueBlueGED said:

Why? At this time last year they were....*drum roll*.... 3-1 with 25 goals scored. They finished the year with the 7th most points in the league. 

It's amazing how many people are still in denial about how good the Leafs are. 

I probably tried to argue that they weren't vastly ahead of the Sabres. And I would have been wrong.

The Sabres have a long way to go to catch them, and to be frank, for a while it seemed that the pathways to catching them seemed limited if not realistically non-existent: Matthews is better than Eichel and he may not catch him. Marner is better than Reinhart. Babcock is the superior coach, etc.  

But the most apparently unachievable pathway opened up on April 28, 2018 when the Sabres capitalized on an 18.5% chance and won the right to draft Rasmus Dahlin, a can't miss, number 1, franchise-caliber d-man, a piece that cannot be acquired by trade (at least not when they are in their prime - see, Karlsson to San Jose (even top forwards or goalies get  moved occasionally), and a player that should, in time, give us an unquestionable edge on the back-end. 

Time will tell if we can match or surpass the Leafs, but Dahlin gives us that chance. 

On 10/10/2018 at 8:44 AM, WildCard said:

Fun part is they're missing they're best winger right now

Marner?

5 hours ago, WildCard said:

Ovechkin passed Bobby Hull for 17th all time in goals last night with 611. Gretzky has 894

Is there another major sport where it's records remain so firmly rooted in the unachievable past due to changes in the way the game is played?

Steroid-era baseball HR numbers? I suppose, but that was a relatively short-lived era. NFL is trending the other way, numbers being broken like crazy. Not sure which is better. 

Basketball has probably achieved the closest to consistency. 

Edited by Thorny