Around the NHL 2018-2019

WildCard

6 hours ago, Brawndo said:

The Eichel-Matthews Comparsion isn’t even mildly close anymore. 

I use to think he was so good it only “looked” like he wasn’t trying. Now I see he doesn’t put forth much effort but when he does he is almost untouchable. Shades of Ovechkin minus the insane number of goals.

10 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

What a crazy finish to the Leafs-Hawks game. 

Kane scores with 90 seconds left to tie it at 5. Matthews scored with a minute left to make it 6-5. Kane scores again with 30 seconds left to tie it at 6. 

Watching this game, made me realize the Sabres don’t seem to have a “game-changer.” As much as we are hoping Eichel will be one. Kane with two clutch goals at the end, Tavares with a hat-trick, Matthews with 2 goals...these three really impacted the game in a way that we need a Buffalo player to do. 

Dahlin shall be. 

11 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

At this point the best we can hope for is that AM/MM get their 12.5/10 mil contracts to mess with the leafs' cap long term, and have the team's defense keep them first round outs, eh? Since it appears that they're going to score enough for AM/MM to deserve those contracts

My hope is that AM signs an offer sheet for 4 years 12.5-14 Million AAV in July, that way he will be an UFA sooner. 

3 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Why does it always have to be tied to effort? Maybe he just isn't as good due to a lesser hockey sense? 

Because when he skates he is. I think at this point it's pretty irrefutable that Eichel doesn't skate as fast as he can a lot of the times he's out there 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, WildCard said:

Because when he skates he is. I think at this point it's pretty irrefutable that Eichel doesn't skate as fast as he can a lot of the times he's out there 

This can be said about basically every player ever with the possible exception of 05-08 Ovechkin. Players pace themselves. I think it might be more noticeable for Eichel because when he's not playing that way, he doesn't have the elite hockey sense to still be effective. His skating and physical tools are what make him an offensive force, so when those aren't going 100% it really shows. But that they're not always going 100% is pretty normal for a player. 

6 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

This can be said about basically every player ever with the possible exception of 05-08 Ovechkin. Players pace themselves. I think it might be more noticeable for Eichel because when he's not playing that way, he doesn't have the elite hockey sense to still be effective. His skating and physical tools are what make him an offensive force, so when those aren't going 100% it really shows. But that they're not always going 100% is pretty normal for a player. 

Forget 100% he's not going 60% half the time

At the end of the game, I couldn’t tell if Eichel was acting frustrated that he couldn’t get the hatter, or if he was playfully enjoying the moment. Really hard to read. 

If he was mad about not getting the Jack-Trick, not quite leadership skills there. Should’ve been happy to lead the team to a win. 

Was anyone else watching his reactions at the end?

15 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

At the end of the game, I couldn’t tell if Eichel was acting frustrated that he couldn’t get the hatter, or if he was playfully enjoying the moment. Really hard to read. 

If he was mad about not getting the Jack-Trick, not quite leadership skills there. Should’ve been happy to lead the team to a win. 

I didn’t see this at all. I thought Eichel looked elated.

35 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

I saw him with a huge smile on his face congratulating his teammates.

38 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I didn’t see this at all. I thought Eichel looked elated.

18 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I saw him with a huge smile on his face congratulating his teammates.

I’m not talking about the celebrations after the buzzer. I’m talking about how he was acting in the final two minutes, there was a stoppage or two and it seemed like he may have been grumbling. 

31 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

I’m not talking about the celebrations after the buzzer. I’m talking about how he was acting in the final two minutes, there was a stoppage or two and it seemed like he may have been grumbling. 

Oh, I didn’t sense this. I’m sure he really wanted it with the empty net very late but I’m not going to go in another fist bump fake conspiracy.

He has 4 points in 3 games??? Why complain??? He's young...people develop on different arcs. Eichel will be fine....10m fine is still to be determined but he will do much better as he ages and plays with different wingers and D men (Dahlin).

14 hours ago, Ducky said:

He has 4 points in 3 games??? Why complain??? He's young...people develop on different arcs. Eichel will be fine....10m fine is still to be determined but he will do much better as he ages and plays with different wingers and D men (Dahlin).

If he continues his pace of 4pts in 3gms  that will put him at 109pts ....McD level? We would then be considering him a steal @ 10m.

• Like (+1) 1

Ooh I do NOT know how I feel about that. I don't think I like it. The numbers in their usual spot break up the color blocking on the sleeve so they don't look like hockey socks stuffed up the arms... but on the other hand, on the shoulder, they're more visible from more angles... Feels very football. Or a vest over long sleeves. 

Think I'm a no on it. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, josie said:

Ooh I do NOT know how I feel about that. I don't think I like it. The numbers in their usual spot break up the color blocking on the sleeve so they don't look like hockey socks stuffed up the arms... but on the other hand, on the shoulder, they're more visible from more angles... Feels very football. Or a vest over long sleeves. 

Think I'm a no on it. 

I defer to Josie here. She's totes right.