Around the NHL 2018-2019

WildCard

14 hours ago, Doohickie said:

The problem with any "national"  coverage is that they all have Monday Night Football syndrome, by which I mean they try to make the game and many players in it more important than they are ("perhaps the BEST GOALIE TO EVER PLAY THE GAME!"  And then next week's goalie will be the best, etc., ad nauseum.)  Also, they try too hard to sell the game to non-hockey fans, which leads to the Doc Emerick and others talking about players' hometowns and other such trivia that has NOTHING to do with the play of the game while there's an actual game being played.  Seriously, if I can't get the Sabres feed I usually just turn the sound down and save my sanity.

Don’t you think the production team has something to do with that?   After all you are playing to your audience which might not have seen a Sabres game at the time.   Perhaps talk about players hometowns is better than banal jokes about Rob Rays lack of scoring, fighting prowess or overall Intelligence, etc.   And far as not listening to another teams broadcast well that’s the equivalent to just watching MSNBC or FoxNews and not seeking an alternative view.  As for me bubble-boy, I choose to hear what other experts have to say about my team and challenge what is said by  MSG and the Sabres.  I believe the broadcast team has an obligation to spend the time researching the opponents and provide us the viewing public evidence of such.   And I hate to tell you, but the current team is not living up to their end of the bargain.   And you can knock Doc and the National guys all you want but if any local teams had the opportunity to assume one of those jobs they would take them in a heartbeat.  Now get ready to turn down the volume on tomorrow’s Bills/Browns game so you can listen to Murph and Kelsey, the A-team!!!

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

They need to SHUT UP about that stuff while the play is going on.  That's my basic problem with it.  They miss stuff on the ice because they're talking about stuff other than the game.

At least they actually go back to the game when something important happens (i.e. A GOAL)- as opposed to Dunleavy, who continues telling his non-hockey story, but STARTS TELLING IT LOUDER, AND NEVER ACTUALLY SAYS THERE WAS A GOAL

• Like (+1) 1

Dunleavy "Lucic comes in and slide a pass over to McDavid. Connor McDavid behind the net, comes out in front, turns. fires. WOW! What a play made there by McDavid to get that shot off. He deked from behind the net and then just rocketed a wrist shot on goal. I tell you what this kid is really good." Commercial Break. "Welcome back to Keybank center where Linus Ullmark just robbed McDavid of a goal from point blank range."

... thanks Dan. I can stop pacing now wondering WTF? 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, WildCard said:

Ryan Ellis talks about his new contract; why his salary is lower than he could have gotten

Nice... the second player this year I recall saying it's not about the money I could get so much as I am getting enough to for me and to help the team.  (OEL was the other)

11 hours ago, erickompositör72 said:

At least they actually go back to the game when something important happens (i.e. A GOAL)- as opposed to Dunleavy, who continues telling his non-hockey story, but STARTS TELLING IT LOUDER, AND NEVER ACTUALLY SAYS THERE WAS A GOAL

I thought you were going to agree to disagree.

Saw a wild stat just now:

If Wanye Gretzky had never retired, played every regular season game without injury up until now, and scored zero points in any of those games it would have taken him until the 11th game of this last season to no longer have a PPG in the regular season.

Read this blurb in the Atlantic today and felt like sharing because, well, the bolded part is truly baffling:

Goals after faceoffs

My colleague here at The Athletic, Tyler Dellow, does some of the most interesting public stat work in the hockey media today. Facts only. Today he had a piece on how teams fared in the 10 seconds after an offensive zone win, which produced some interesting results (which you can check out here). He posited that this is one of the areas coaches can truly make a difference, as the chess pieces are for once in their set, planned areas of the ice, and with a win, you can run a rare, planned play.

Nashville and Peter Laviolette were dominant in this regard, finishing plus-11 during those 10 seconds, while the Oilers …. Oh man, I can barely type this. The Oilers … hold on I’m sweating profusely … the Oilers were minus four. Minus four! Dellow noted that the average team wins 600 faceoffs in the offensive zone over the course of a season. So like 600 times they were in the offensive zone, with solid possession of the puck, and never once did they shoot the puck into the opposing net. And they managed to get scored on four times. They were the only team in the red in the league. BAFFLING.

ANYWAY, one of the things I did with the Marlies was break down faceoffs, and I wanted to touch on Tyler’s point about the coaching being done here. My take is that, while the coach does have full control there, most coaches are painfully vanilla. Maybe it was just poorer coaching in the AHL, but I pretty consistently could recognize the same 3-4 sets from every team we played. So, I believe it more largely falls on the talent you have; for the centres to win the draws clean, for the players to execute, and for your skill players to make plays (or for the D to just get some lucky deflections).

Yes, obviously coaches can get creative. It’s allowed! They can put the players through a ton of practice to make sure execution is as clean as possible. But faceoffs are one of the few times the opposing team has all five players on the defensive side of the puck, and they actually know where their check is. You could draw up some awesome play that leaves the opposing team flabbergasted, and the next game, the opposing team is gonna just gonna note “Kay, look out for that.” It would be tough to have repeat success with something hyper-original. So, I don’t believe many teams spend a ton of time working on faceoff plays – I’m just not sure the payoff is worth the opportunity cost of not working on some other area of the game.

For those of you curious, the Sabres ranked #17. 

The article is an interesting read and has video clips to accompany it. For those on the fence about the Athletic, these articles have been helping me get through the off-season. It's definitely worth the ~$7 per month.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ubkev said:

The Sens assistant GM just up and quit. Hmmm, how crap is the situation in the nation's Capital? 

It's pretty bad--it kinda always has been less than great, though.  

Oh, you mean Ottawa.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1

Saw this on reddit today: This upcoming season will mark the halfway point of Zach Parise and Ryan Suters' 13 year contracts. Parise (34) and Suter (33) each carry a $7.5M cap hit for the next 7 years

@ian_mendes
BREAKING: Senators announce that assistant GM Randy Lee has resigned. Club announces a search for his replacement is underway.

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Speaking of bad contracts, Shea Weber will be half way through his, once this coming season is over. After that he'll, at 34 years of age, be headed into the final 7 years of his near 8M AAV deal. 

The cap penalties are enormous to.

23 minutes ago, shrader said:

The league as a whole needs to keep going down this path.  The bright colors look so much better.

The switch to darker colors was for TV bit HD/4K has obliterated that.

Get teams to go to brighter colors and everyone do their own fonts/templates. There is more than one way to do a uniform. Not everyone needs block numbers and not everyone needs horizontal stripes.

• Like (+1) 1