Lawrence Pilut signs 2 year ELC

sabills

Maybe he was promised a roster spot to sign? Have to see the contract. If it's a one-way deal, I could see him in Rochester to begin with. At least he gets paid the big bucks regardless. But, would he sign a two-way deal? Did the Sabres have to compete for his services?

It's an ELC, so it cannot be a 1 way deal.

There could be an arrangement similar to Antipin's stipulating that he'd be loaned elsewhere than Ra-cha-cha should he not make the big squad, though that would be surprising. Would expect he can speak English well enough that a year of riding a bus to TO & SYR wouldn't be a big enough hardship to want to be back home.

Dust.

Another desperate overhyped move by a bumbling organization.

How about you bring in some real life NHL players Mr. Botts. Enough of this throwing at the wall to see what sticks. Let's make a hockey trade for some real hockey players instead of hoping to catch lighting in a bottle.

Maybe we can find a rugged 3rd pairing guy in a Turkish prison.

Sheeeyit. I dug yo rap, big papa.

Late 80s, WBEN Radio (or maybe their FM sister station):

Highlight call from Rick from the previous evening: "And Vaive just got suckered by Kimball from behind!"

Sandy Beach: "Where'd they play, a Turkish prison?"

Dust.

How about you bring in some real life NHL players Mr. Botts. Enough of this throwing at the wall to see what sticks. Let's make a hockey trade for some real hockey players instead of hoping to catch lighting in a bottle.

Lol, what a horrible take. Who gets mad about building organizational depth?

Dust.

Why is this any different then signing a 22 year old recent college grad? Our organization depth on D is lacking because of our failure to draft and develop D. This move just helps bridge that gap until Jbot refills the pipeline. If he ends up making the team great. If not, not.

Personally I think he makes the team this season. Beating out Nelson and Baloo shouldn’t be that hard.

One other thought: Stewardess I speak Jive..

Dust.

Considering we have a couple of toxic contracts, I think he's doing exactly the right thing.  Bring in 4 players with a 25% chance of success and one will succeed.... and at a bargain price.  He did this in Pittsburgh and it worked.  Alternately, making "hockey trades" means giving up assets.  You're not going to find too many bargains via that route unless you've got an abundance in one area and another team has a hole there (and vice versa).

I don't know how you can call this a desperate move.  It didn't cost us any assets and it's a minimal investment of cap space.  If he works out it's a free player.  If not he's depth in Rochester.  Not sure there's any way JBot and lose this transaction.

Think of it this way. In 2014 if we had drafted Pilut in the 6th or 7th round, he would now be coming over to Buffalo if he was any good anyways. Just like Olofsson coming over. Could they be mediocre, sure but considering we just added someone who was the SHL Defense of the year, I will remain optimistic. 

Dust.

Youre so out to lunch 85% of the time in your quest to be unique :lol:

Think of it this way. In 2014 if we had drafted Pilut in the 6th or 7th round, he would now be coming over to Buffalo if he was any good anyways. Just like Olofsson coming over. Could they be mediocre, sure but considering we just added someone who was the SHL Defense of the year, I will remain optimistic.

This is worse than the Antipin signing. Waste of a contract IMO. There's a reason these guys we're not even drafted.

Quantity does not equal quality.

We need guys that can play big boy hockey, not undersized skill players.

He's 3 years younger than Antipin and bigger.

Yea there is a reason they weren't drafted, when they were draft eligible they weren't that good. 

We need skill, period. Also our team is not undersized. Now you are just grasping at straws. Defense alone:

Risto: 6'4" 218lbs

Bogo: 6'3" 229lbs

Dahlin: 6'2" 183lbs (bet he comes into the combine higher)

Scandella: 6'3" 207lbs

McCabe: 6'1" 209lbs

Beaulieu: 6'2" 201lbs

Nelson: 6'1" 185lbs

Lawrence Pilut: 5'11" 181lbs

So 1 guy under 6ft and only 2 guys who's playing weight will be in the 180lb range. Also you can't play big boy hockey without skill. This isn't the 80's anymore. It is a fast game full of fast players. Size does matter but I am pretty sure we can survive with 1 defender under 6ft tall. I bet almost every team left in the playoffs has at least 1. You don't like the signing for some random reason but calling it a waste of contract is laughable. 

Edited by Skurk Liger

This is worse than the Antipin signing. Waste of a contract IMO. There's a reason these guys we're not even drafted.

Quantity does not equal quality.

A reason they weren’t drafted at age 18. There are late bloomers.

In terms of the idea that this guy is undersized and skillful: That’s not really a criticism or even an obstacle. That’s a current league-wide trend.

Were you for or against signing 22 year old 5’10” Will Butcher last season? Colorado initially told Butcher they weren’t going to sign him because of his size and then changed their minds. To late, he signed with NJ and put up 44 pts as a rookie. The 5’11” Ghost seems to be doing ok in Philly (65 pts last season). There is clearly a place in the NHL for smallish skill D. I’m not saying Pilut is going to be such a player, but no team ever went wrong adding more speed and more skill to their roster.

The Sabres also still have plenty of room for more contracts. We are at 47 of 50 after signing Olofsson, Pilot, Borgen and Oglevie. That 47 still includes UFAs Gorges, Falk, Josefson, Nolan, Johnson, Redmond, Wilcox and Pouliot. That 47 also includes 12 RFAs, 3 of which, Kasdorf, Antipin and Lehner, who are unlikely to return. Essentially Pilut is simply taking Antipin’s contract slot.

Bottomline this is just a smart depth move with potentially great upside for a team desperately short on D talent in the system.

Hopefully he starts the year in Rochester to get some seasoning before having a shot at the NHL (unless he blows away everyone in camp). I think Antipin should have started on the farm as well (i'm guessing the agreement he had with Murray was to not play in the NHL so Botteril had his hands tied). As Pilut is his guy I'm convinced there's an understanding that Rochester is his stepping stone.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.