Lawrence Pilut signs 2 year ELC

sabills

Very true. Anybody read the book freakenomics? The month you are born does have an impact on development from an early age. It's especially the undersized guys that fall under the radar.

Malcolm Gladwell also discusses it in Tipping Point.

Read both... and as a coach I have experienced it.  My son (March) is a good age for hockey and a bad age for baseball.  His luck has been that his genetics have placed him in the above average growth category.  So, in baseball, he had his opportunities.  However, friends of his, and other children I've seen in various leagues, who are born in the same time frame have not received the extra coaching.  They did not make the advanced team, etc.  However, once in high school they suddenly find the playing field a little more even.  They catch up, and it's amazing what happens.

Our predisposition to winning above all else is what drives it.  I was reading that Norway bans all score keeping until the age of 12.  As a result, children learn to love the game first and then to excel at it later.  There's a lot to be said for that approach.

Our predisposition to winning above all else is what drives it.  I was reading that Norway bans all score keeping until the age of 12.  As a result, children learn to love the game first and then to excel at it later.  There's a lot to be said for that approach.

In the long run if you have the talent, work ethic and love the game, there are so many paths to the NHL, that the teams will find you.  CHL's three league, USHL, NCAA, US High School, plus all the European development programs.

Guys like Erod, not drafted, small, goes and plays US college hockey, develops there, works his way up through the AHL and now is in our top 9.    

In the long run if you have the talent, work ethic and love the game, there are so many paths to the NHL, that the teams will find you.  CHL's three league, USHL, NCAA, US High School, plus all the European development programs.

Guys like Erod, not drafted, small, goes and plays US college hockey, develops there, works his way up through the AHL and now is in our top 9.    

Absolutely.  For those who are in this position they have to work harder early on and I believe that if they can get over being turned down from ages 5-18 they will come out as the better player in the end.  Unfortunately many kids stop playing sports around age 12 these days.  There are a multitude of reasons for this of course but the emphasis on winning as opposed to skill development and learning to enjoy the game is a large reason for it.  The insistence on winning is what drives coaches to only select the bigger kids and leaves the younger/smaller kids behind.

Well, there this big free agent goalie by the name of Lehner...????

Tobias Enstrom is the only significant NHL free agent from Sweden.

One school of thought says he’d be a nice complement to Dahlin.

Another says he’s basically done.

Do we foresee this lineup in the Sabres’ future?

Nylander Asplund Olafsson

Pilut Dahlin

Ullmark

Also, given his cosmopolitan background Alex Nylander shouldn’t be needing Swedes.

But is there a world where the injection of countrymen improves his comfort level and helps elevate his game?

Edited by dudacek

The Sabres are building a 'Swedish culture' in the locker room for sure...any other free agents coming up the next year or two from Sweden they hope to draw to the team?

I'm picturing IKEA instructions for assembling an NHL champion.  I hope JBot is smart enough to call the IKEA help line if he needs it.

• 2 weeks later...

Botterill expects Pilut to be in Rochester to start the year but will be given lots of opportunities through camp and pre-season. 

Ya just saw that from your other video.  That's very interesting.  There was always this underlying thought that Antipin was promised NHL or he was gone.  With several other teams reportedly in on Pilut no similar agreement was made with him.

This is great news.  A guy at that age coming straight over from Europe could learn a lot play half or a full season in Rochester.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.