Lawrence Pilut signs 2 year ELC

sabills

I count myself among those who think that Antipin had a different path to travel in the NHL, had things gone better for him.

I don't lay that at anyone's feet, particularly.

There were more than several plays that Antipin made, where I was like, "Wait. Whoa - that was effing NICE right there." I think he had much more to give and offer, and it just didn't come together for him. So, to me, it was more than a Concept situation. He repeatedly flashed signs of becoming a very nice NHL player.

I don't feel that way about the other prospects who were enumerated upthread.

Edit: Although I do think Baptiste can become a useful bottom 6 player on a good NHL team.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Lawrence Pilut is younger than Antipin. Antipin is turning 26 while Pilut is turning 23. That matters because it is more likely that Antipin was closer to his ceiling than Pilut is. Time will tell but I would rather have Pilut than not. We need depth throughout the lineup and even if Pilut is just slightly better Antipin that is still a solid #5 or #6 defender. 

Lawrence Pilut is younger than Antipin. Antipin is turning 26 while Pilut is turning 23. That matters because it is more likely that Antipin was closer to his ceiling than Pilut is. Time will tell but I would rather have Pilut than not. We need depth throughout the lineup and even if Pilut is just slightly better Antipin that is still a solid #5 or #6 defender. 

Lord, yes.

The concept of Antipin continues to baffle me.

He was no more impressive than Baptiste or Beaulieu or Bailey or Girgensons or Larsson or Lehner or Rodrigues or Wilson and less than most and is of an age with all of them.

Yet many of you play the “poor Victor” card while wanting to run most of the others out of town.

He was considerably more impressive than Beaulieu and Lehner last season. I think you continue to understate just how bad Lehner was. And this is coming from someone who has been tepidly supportive of him during his time here.

Most everyone on here has a level of trust, or at least benefit of the doubt, with Housley.  Until the usage of Antipin comes up.  Somehow Phil is a good coach in most all respects  except he just couldn't see Antipin's good play like the rest of us.

I suspect you are mostly correct with your description and Phil agreed.

For me, Housley had the benefit of the doubt before the season. That slowly eroded when observing his decisions. From messing with the PP1 unit the first ~3 months of the season, to playing Risto like he's Doughty, to letting Beaulieu make one blunder after another while still being fed ice time. 

Messing up a #6 defenseman is far from criminal, but Housley obviously never gave Antipin a chance to play through some flubs, whereas other Dmen (the aforementioned Beaulieu, plus Falk, and Gorges) had near unlimited rope. Housley is human, and all coaches do this sort of thing, so this is probably my last post on the matter. But I don't think it's unfair to suggest the tolerance he had for Antipin's mistakes was lower than for others.

He was considerably more impressive than Beaulieu and Lehner last season. I think you continue to understate just how bad Lehner was. And this is coming from someone who has been tepidly supportive of him during his time here.

For me, Housley had the benefit of the doubt before the season. That slowly eroded when observing his decisions. From messing with the PP1 unit the first ~3 months of the season, to playing Risto like he's Doughty, to letting Beaulieu make one blunder after another while still being fed ice time. 

Messing up a #6 defenseman is far from criminal, but Housley obviously never gave Antipin a chance to play through some flubs, whereas other Dmen (the aforementioned Beaulieu, plus Falk, and Gorges) had near unlimited rope. Housley is human, and all coaches do this sort of thing, so this is probably my last post on the matter. But I don't think it's unfair to suggest the tolerance he had for Antipin's mistakes was lower than for others.

...although Gorges didn't get a lot of playing time.  At 34 games, he played the fewest of any defenseman.  I think Housley used him about right- he put him into the lineup when he felt that the veteran presence was needed (often when there was a star such as McDavid that needed to be shut down, a role in which he did pretty well).

46 games 16:04 minutes per game

59 games 15:57

47 games 15:17

34 games 14:56

One of these guys never got a chance, the other three got near unlimited rope.

Somethings not adding up.

46 games 16:04 minutes per game

59 games 15:57

47 games 15:17

34 games 14:56

One of these guys never got a chance, the other three got near unlimited rope.

Somethings not adding up.

I thought the PP time was vastly different between Beaulieu and Antipin, but I just looked it up and Beaulieu only got about 6.5 more minutes in 12 more games. I concede. UNCLE! Antipin is not the hill I'm going to die on :lol:

I thought the PP time was vastly different between Beaulieu and Antipin, but I just looked it up and Beaulieu only got about 6.5 more minutes in 12 more games. I concede. UNCLE! Antipin is not the hill I'm going to die on :lol:

And with my last goal achieved, I would like to announce my official retirement from Sabrespace.

And with my last goal achieved, I would like to announce my official retirement from Sabrespace.

That's all it took to get rid of you? I'd have conceded something else ages ago if I knew it would be so easy :p

Really though, you can't retire until you convince me that Ryan Murray and/or Sam Bennett are worth holding out hope for.

He plays the right side. 

I thought that too.  Kris Baker says that he has played both left and right sides.  I'm not sure if he has a preference, but Phil Housley and JBot might have a preference for the kid.  Maybe we'll have an idea how they plan on using him by rookie camp.

I thought that too.  Kris Baker says that he has played both left and right sides.  I'm not sure if he has a preference, but Phil Housley and JBot might have a preference for the kid.  Maybe we'll have an idea how they plan on using him by rookie camp.

We should know at rookie camp. Will be interesting to see what they do considering the lack of depth on their Right side. 

I think you could make an argument that while Antipin was treated fairly, Beaulieu wasn't as good and should not have gotten Antipin-level minutes.

Which lends itself to the idea that perhaps Antipin did deserve more minutes, relative to the others, as perceived.

Here is a discussion of Pilut and the other Swedish importts by Sabres Asst GM Steve Greeley.

http://www.wgr550.com/articles/news/greeley-sheds-some-light-sabres-european-signings-offseason

On Lawrence Pilut:

"Lawrence is a guy we were very excited to get. He played last year for HV71, he's been in that organization and in the top Swedish league since he was 18-years-old, which is impressive. He's a young kid, like a December 1995-born, which excited because it's a kid who can come into our organization and hopefully grow with it and be part of the core."

"He's a puck-moving defenseman who led that league in scoring. He gets up in the play, he moves it, he always has deception... He's a top-five to seven minutes played for a defenseman in that league. To me, he's a guy who is a little undersized, but his hockey sense, his hockey IQ is what has made him such a good player in Sweden, and a guy we're really excited to have come over."

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Little off-topic, but Greeley’s take on Dahlin in the same interview was among the weakest deflections of a question I’ve ever heard.

He detailed Pilut’s game with great detail and enthusiasm, yet asked the same question about Dahlin he basically said there are a lot of good kids at the top of the draft and avoided speaking about Rasmus even indirectly.

Edited by dudacek

Little off-topic, but Greeley’s take on Dahlin in the same interview was among the weakest deflections of a question I’ve ever heard.

He detailed Pilut’s game with great detail and enthusiasm, yet asked the same question about Dahlin he basically said there are a lot of good kids at the top of the draft and avoided speaking about Rasmus even indirectly.

Maybe he can't until the kid is officially drafted or during contract negotiations?

He's a December birthday.. that's a knock right there.  His entire career until the pros he'd be playing against kids that were bigger than him at the same age.  Until the age limit is removed and he has a chance to settle into the mix, he'd be fighting nature.

He's a December birthday.. that's a knock right there. His entire career until the pros he'd be playing against kids that were bigger than him at the same age. Until the age limit is removed and he has a chance to settle into the mix, he'd be fighting nature.

Very true. Anybody read the book freakenomics? The month you are born does have an impact on development from an early age. It's especially the undersized guys that fall under the radar.

Very true. Anybody read the book freakenomics? The month you are born does have an impact on development from an early age. It's especially the undersized guys that 

Malcolm Gladwell also discusses it in Tipping Point.

I wouldn’t worry about it. Right after the Draft Lottery, the Buffalo News Interviewed Housley and he talked about Dahlin and how they are going to use him in Buffalo.

Last week at Jim Kelly’s Golf Tournament Housley did a complete 180 and spoke generically about the Top Pick. I think Botterill doesn’t want any staff member talking about a player until they are officially Sabres Property.

Edited by Brawndo

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.