Lawrence Pilut signs 2 year ELC

sabills

Don't know why the other one was locked, but this is official now:

Buffalo Sabres

OFFICIAL: We've signed defenseman Lawrence Pilut. Pilut led all Swedish Hockey League 1f1f8-1f1ea.png defensemen with 38 points in 52 games last season for @hv71 and was named 2017-18 SHL Defenseman of the Year.

Welcome, @lpilut!

DdQ78r1XUAEyCnH.jpg

This is good news, but I think it prudent to temper expectations here.  The SHL is generally regarded as a step below the KHL, and we saw Antipin -- a KHL all-star IIRC -- look fairly well out of his depth last year. 

Pilut will almost certainly start the season in Rochester, and may or may not have the goods to make the leap to the NHL. 

This is good news, but I think it prudent to temper expectations here.  The SHL is generally regarded as a step below the KHL, and we saw Antipin -- a KHL all-star IIRC -- look fairly well out of his depth last year. 

Pilut will almost certainly start the season in Rochester, and may or may not have the goods to make the leap to the NHL.

At worst, he's young depth for the Amerks. Which is something they didn't have much of. At best, he'll be a relatively cheap piece of the Sabres defensive puzzle for several years. Which is something THEY didn't have much of.

A 22-year-old mobile defenceman who has shown growth to his game, signed at ELC prices?

Well done.

He sounds like a Pysyk who discovered some offence last year.

My expectations are in line with Borgen and Antipin and Nelson.

Throw enough of those darts and some will hit.

Ristolainen, McCabe, Nelson, Guhle, Borgen, Pilut and soon to be Dahlin - our corps of young defencemen is looking a lot better compared to the rest of the league than it did a year ago.

Edited by dudacek

A 22-year-old mobile defenceman who has shown growth to his game, signed at ELC prices?

Well done.

He sounds like a Pysyk who discovered some offence last year.

My expectations are in line with Borgen and Antipin and Nelson.

Throw enough of those darts and some will hit.

Ristolainen, McCabe, Nelson, Guhle, Borgen, Pilut and soon to be Dahlin - our corps of young defencemen is looking a lot better compared to the rest of the league than it did a year ago.

Bingo. Especially after exGMTM destoyed our pipeline, we need more darts.

FGMTM seemed to be of a mind to turn things around in very short order based on taking some big swings.

JBOT seems more focused on building organizational depth and creating competition.

The latter approach seems more apt to produce a winning team.

“Kim and Terry, the other guy didn’t do you any favours.”

Botterill was never going to be about a quick fix.

“Kim and Terry, the other guy didn’t do you any favours.”

Botterill was never going to be about a quick fix.

I don’t think Botterill’s strategy and quick fixes ares mutually exclusive, just that Botterill approaches things from a cap-based perspective and prefers to trade for and augment the roster with value additions. He won’t break the bank on questionable LT deals and trade for high cost pieces. Kinda like how he helped build the D in Pittsburgh.

Scandella was a quick fix piece who was immediately able to step into a top 4 role that was had on the relative cheap. I may be splitting hairs, but I don’t think Botterill is knowingly accepting any kind of long slow build. He’s just going to build properly with smart moves and of course through the draft, but he isn’t hesitating to bring in win-now players, either.

Not sure I agree with the bolded.  He was clearly out of his element, but I think in the beginning that was largely due to the language barrier, getting used to the North American rink size, and the fact that we had a rookie coach who didn't have a fully developed system from the start.  I'm not sure I'd say he was out of his depth.

Botts is gonna trade Risto, and people are gonna be mad about it.

I wouldn't care. Everyone on the roster has a price. If I ever buy the jersey of an active player then that there is a player I would actually be mad about them trading.

Can't foresee myself doing that with anyone on this roster. Not yet.

I wouldn't care. Everyone on the roster has a price. If I ever buy the jersey of an active player then that there is a player I would actually be mad about them trading.

Can't foresee myself doing that with anyone on this roster. Not yet.

All hoity-toity in your Numminen white-goathead. 

(You have one of those, don't you? That's a goddamn amazing sweater if I'm remembering correctly)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.