Trade Speculation and Rumors 2018-19

Brawndo

JBots confirmed they are still having talks with other teams and that his bonus has not been paid yet (doesn't have to be until midnight).

Thanks. Did he say anything else about him (loss reception right after he spoke about the Wilson signing)?

Still looking at any other UFA's?

It ain’t the Blues or Montreal.

Where do you see it?

Islanders need him desperately. Barzal will get crushed without JT.

Minny has been quiet. We heard Philly and Carolina before, but they both made moves.

I dunno. Barzal is special and carried that team when JT supposedly quit about halfway through.

Thanks. Did he say anything else about him (loss reception right after he spoke about the Wilson signing)?

Still looking at any other UFA's?

He said they're still working but don't have anything coming up soon. My guess is he's waiting out some other names in free agency to see if they're still available when the money stops flowing.

He also specifically said the team does plan on making more changes via trade and/or free agency at some point. So he's not done. You'd hope.

He said they're still working but don't have anything coming up soon. My guess is he's waiting out some other names in free agency to see if they're still available when the money stops flowing.

He also specifically said the team does plan on making more changes via trade and/or free agency at some point. So he's not done. You'd hope.

:thumbsup:

From Eric Engels

On the way out of his press conference, Marc Bergevin said to one reporter that the price tag to acquire Ryan O'Reilly from the Sabres is too high. "If the price changes, (Botterill) can call me."

Sorry Marc that isn’t happening

I bet Risto will be the focus for a near term trade (Edmonton?).  Wouldn't do this either.

Sabres should make work what they have and add rather than subtract quality players.  Was hoping for at least a couple of upgrades in free agency.

Edited by jahnyc

I have a hard time believing any of this actually matters on the ice. I'd also imagine every single other player on the team was unhappy in the middle of the season when we obviously sucked and had no chance at the playoffs. But O'Reilly vocalized it, so the knives came out for him. Whatever.

As soon as the Canadian media smelled discontent by ROR, however justified, they got into overblown trade rumors faster than ROR gets into Tim Horton's.

And even if it's not real, any GM that sees on TV can't afford to not throw something at Botterill to see if it sticks.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

I have a hard time believing it's a good idea to keep a guy around who has publicly stated his unhappiness after 40/50 games in a season and been involved in trade talks for months.

I like O'Reilly. I was ecstatic to have him and bummed when it started going down hill with him. But I do think moving him is the right move.

At the end of the day, however, winning cures all. We'll see if keeping the exact same core and, basically, the exact same roster outside of the guy you got for getting lucky in the lottery is enough to take us from last to competitive. I'm skeptical.

We'll see how the rest of the offseason goes but if it's just shuffling a few more mediocre bottom-six/AHL guys I will start having serious doubts about Botterill.

I agree with much of what you said, but I keep going back and forth on O'Reilly.   If it was even a fair return, I would rather see him moved.

If he stays, I'm OK with it, but only if is usage is correct. He can't be the center on this team that gets the most even strength minutes.  He can (and probably still should) get 18-19 minutes of ice time per game...but it should be 2nd or 3rd line minutes PLUS PP time PLUS PK time plus faceoffs at the end of periods games. Basically, even strength, I want Eichel to be getting 1-2 more minute of Ice time than ROR per game (hasn't happened yet) and HOPEFULLY by the end of the year Middlestadt will be getting at least equal even strenth minutes (maybe more).

I agree with much of what you said, but I keep going back and forth on O'Reilly.   If it was even a fair return, I would rather see him moved.

If he stays, I'm OK with it, but only if is usage is correct. He can't be the center on this team that gets the most even strength minutes.  He can (and probably still should) get 18-19 minutes of ice time per game...but it should be 2nd or 3rd line minutes PLUS PP time PLUS PK time plus faceoffs at the end of periods games. Basically, even strength, I want Eichel to be getting 1-2 more minute of Ice time than ROR per game (hasn't happened yet) and HOPEFULLY by the end of the year Middlestadt will be getting at least equal even strenth minutes (maybe more).

If you take away his locker cleanout comments and overall mopey demeanor that may be part of the problem in the room, you'd say the earliest we'd ever want to trade this guy is next summer.  Keeping him gives us a strong 1-2 punch at center and lets Lord Casey have a much easier first full year in the NHL either as the 3C or on the wing.  He should have just as good a year this coming year, if not better, with the improved blue line and injection of talent on the team via Dahlin, Mittelstadt, Sheary, Guhle, and whoever else makes the cut.

By 2019-2020, maybe we're good with Eichel and Casey as 1-2 with Asplund at 3C full-time.

But all that said, I'd prefer to move him for the right return just to clear out whatever drama was holding us back.  It's just easier said than done -- especially when you're talking about making an additional move for a center.  I'd rather do nothing than do something stupid, especially given how tough our division is now.

Islanders in on O'Reilly trade talks with Buffalo, we are told. Center is owed $7.5M bonus by midnight. Return package obviously would change from today to tomorrow.

It's Larry Brooks.  The American counterpart to Bruce Garrioch.  He could be right and he could be making it up.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.