Trade Speculation and Rumors 2018-19

Brawndo

RDS reporting that Montreal is out on ROR

What does this mean?

Bergevin put his best offer on the table, the Sabres said “no” and he gave up?

Or the Sabres said “we have an offer on the table we are about to pull the trigger on. Can you beat it? No? Thanks for your time.”

What does this mean?

Bergevin put his best offer on the table, the Sabres said “no” and he gave up?

Or the Sabres said “we have an offer on the table we are about to pull the trigger on. Can you beat it? No? Thanks for your time.”

I'm assuming that Montreal just doesn't have enough to give.

I literally said this verbatim in the post you quoted.

Sorry if I misunderstood. My hunch is that his value to us is greater than offers made. I'm not sure JBott wants to trade him but only would for a large return. The speculation he "needs" to be traded is just that....speculation.

I have a hard time believing it's a good idea to keep a guy around who has publicly stated his unhappiness after 40/50 games in a season and been involved in trade talks for months.

I like O'Reilly. I was ecstatic to have him and bummed when it started going down hill with him. But I do think moving him is the right move.

At the end of the day, however, winning cures all. We'll see if keeping the exact same core and, basically, the exact same roster outside of the guy you got for getting lucky in the lottery is enough to take us from last to competitive. I'm skeptical.

We'll see how the rest of the offseason goes but if it's just shuffling a few more mediocre bottom-six/AHL guys I will start having serious doubts about Botterill.

I have a hard time believing it's a good idea to keep a guy around who has publicly stated his unhappiness after 40/50 games in a season and been involved in trade talks for months.

At the end of the day, however, winning cures all.

Bingo.

I like O'Reilly. I was ecstatic to have him and bummed when it started going down hill with him. But I do think moving him is the right move.

At the end of the day, however, winning cures all. We'll see if keeping the exact same core and, basically, the exact same roster outside of the guy you got for getting lucky in the lottery is enough to take us from last to competitive. I'm skeptical.

We'll see how the rest of the offseason goes but if it's just shuffling a few more mediocre bottom-six/AHL guys I will start having serious doubts about Botterill.

Can't disagree in that the indication was that there would be changes. There still may be. I agree at this point little has changed. I do feel our talent is better than our record and management has to figure that out. Nevertheless ROR I think was the second best player on the team and now slips to third. I much prefer to keep him unless he just wants out or he is a problem for some reason other than his play.

Agree with all of this except about moving him as the right move.  By the way, shouldn't the GM and HC have a significant role in making this work going forward?  A good HC should pull the team together and handle the personalities.  If Housley has been unable to do this, then maybe he is not the right coach for this team.

I have a hard time believing any of this actually matters on the ice. I'd also imagine every single other player on the team was unhappy in the middle of the season when we obviously sucked and had no chance at the playoffs. But O'Reilly vocalized it, so the knives came out for him. Whatever.

Agree with all of this except about moving him as the right move.  By the way, shouldn't the GM and HC have a significant role in making this work going forward?  A good HC should pull the team together and handle the personalities.  If Housley has been unable to do this, then maybe he is not the right coach for this team.

Good points. A coach needs to be able to manage personalities. Professional athletes are not always best buddies with their teammates. It's nice when they are but most of us have worked with people we weren't best friends with yet respected their abilities. Athletes have strong competitive egoes but good coaches need to be able to deal with it. It's not just x's and o's.

I have a hard time believing any of this actually matters on the ice. I'd also imagine every single other player on the team was unhappy in the middle of the season when we obviously sucked and had no chance at the playoffs. But O'Reilly vocalized it, so the knives came out for him. Whatever.

This I second.

This has the sad ring of truth. It might even be the right thing to do. But it's undeniably boring.

It makes for boring off-seasons for sure, but it's also fun to see the youth push their way into the lineup.  Here in Texas, the Rangers have fallen on hard times after back-to-back World Series appearances earlier in the decade.  No big free agent signings here, but when the injury bug hit I was pleasantly surprised at what came up from the farm, and a few of them aren't ever going back down.

Even if the Sabres are out of the playoff hunt in November, I expect this team will be a lot more fun to watch than in previous seasons.  That said, I think they're going to be far more competitive to start this season than any time in the last five years.

If we travel back in time to mid-December and lay out those moves, aside from Dahlin excitement, we'd be pretty pissed.

I hope JBot gives us one more middle 6 winger and one more bottom six guy.

I don't even care now if Botts wants to slow cook or blow it up. I have one universal request. Get. Pominville. Out. Of. The. Starting. 12.

So is the consensus now that ROR won't get traded? With that much smoke, it could still easily be in the works. 

JBots confirmed they are still having talks with other teams and that his bonus has not been paid yet (doesn't have to be until midnight).

So is the consensus now that ROR won't get traded? With that much smoke, it could still easily be in the works.

It ain’t the Blues or Montreal.

Where do you see it?

Islanders need him desperately. Barzal will get crushed without JT.

Minny has been quiet. We heard Philly and Carolina before, but they both made moves.

I kind of think we're back to where we started:  If we keep him he's a valuable player on the roster- eats lots of minutes defending other team's top line, wins big faceoffs, a primary contributor to offense.  If some other team wants to offer the Sabres a handsome return that addresses the holes on the roster and makes the Sabres a better team now, then JBot will listen.  But he holds the cards; if he does nothing he still has ROR which is pretty damned good.

The thing that might gum that scenario up is if ROR really is "the locker room problem" or ROR has requested a trade.  Then JBot may feel compelled to take the best he can get, instead of being able to turn down a sub-par offer.

Edited by Doohickie

Botterill said the bonus has to be paid by midnight tonight and if the Sabres pay it, it changes the dynamics of what the potential return would be.

I kind of think we're back to where we started:  If we keep him he's a valuable player on the roster- eats lots of minutes defending other team's top line, wins big faceoffs, a primary contributor to offense.  If some other team wants to offer the Sabres a handsome return that addresses the holes on the roster and makes the Sabres a better team now, then JBot will listen.  But he holds the cards; if he does nothing he still has ROR which is pretty damned good.

Amen!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.