Trade Speculation and Rumors 2018-19

Brawndo

I understand the overall sentiment, but the bolded is hogwash. Just because Karlsson doesn't clear the crease like Pronger doesn't mean he doesn't play defense. His gap control, stick work and zone exits are all terrific.

I remember the days when you lambasted Karlsson as a Norris candidate because he didn’t play defense. Glad you’ve come around.

Assuming my memory on this is lucent, which it might not be.

Has anyone come across a more realistic O’Reilly proposal floating around out there than the St. Louis one?

I’m talking Robert Thomas, Vince Dunn and a first?

I think it's a little overproduced and corny.. but it's still pretty real.

:P

1) 15 months older with an injury history that ROR does not have. 

2) I agree it would improve team speed and Karlsson is better than ROR

3) Agree again but idk about the cup part. 

4) This is where I really question things. 7.5 for ROR for the next 5 years ends the contract when he's 32 I think. Karlsson won't sign a new deal until next year. He will effectively be 29 when his new deal starts. If you trade for him he will want an 8 year deal. That takes him to 36. He's also probably going to want in the 9-10mil range. So you are right that for the first few years ROR salary offsets a chunk of Karlsson's but what about in years 5-8? The last 4 years of that deal there is no offset and we have to trust that Karlsson won't decline while being the 2nd highest paid player on the team. I just don't think the Sabres should make that type of commitment even if his ankle is fine. 

This. I'd also add that Karlsson will probably want more than $9 or $10 million. He was underpaid in Ottawa (not as badly as Tavares has been on Long Island but still underpaid). I doubt he's going to want to low ball himself again, plus the cap has also gone up significantly since 2011 or whenever he signed his last deal. I remember articles coming out saying he wants to be paid what he's worth. He's not going to give anyone a break with his next deal since it's likely his last one. $10 million is likely his absolute floor. I'd rather he go elsewhere.

Edited by Alkoholist

Has anyone come across a more realistic O’Reilly proposal floating around out there than the St. Louis one?

I’m talking Robert Thomas, Vince Dunn and a first?

These are the type of trades I think work.  

I remember the days when you lambasted Karlsson as a Norris candidate because he didn’t play defense. Glad you’ve come around.

Assuming my memory on this is lucent, which it might not be.

I was young! I just assumed that high point totals meant defensive weakness. Luckily I've come a long way since those days.

I actually agree with the general concept of moving ROR to get younger and more cohesive. The problem is we have no idea what we have in Mittelstadt, Asplund, Olofsson, Pu etc... If we hold onto ROR for more more season, I doubt his trade value suffers much and we buy Casey one year of protected ice time to develop in the NHL. This way next off-season we can move ROR to fill other holes on the team and then allow Casey to jump into the 2nd line center role.

Also by adding Casey, Dahlin and a UFA or two to the current mix, we might actually take a step forward next season and become of competitive team.

Agree. Edited by Radar

Not expected to buy anyone out:

http://buffalonews.com/2018/06/15/sabres-not-expected-to-offer-any-buyouts/

"I don't have any interest in doing buyouts here right now," Botterill told The News on Friday while declining to address specific players. "With the way some of these contracts are structured, I prefer not to have a cap hit moving forward beyond this year. As I look at it right now, I don't see any need for a buyout."

O’Reilly is gone. The team is being handed to Jack.

The most interesting thing to me in that bit was that we are hard after a winger to play with him.

Inquiring about Skinner, Pacioretty and Nash

I'm fine with ROR being dealt but they need to get a #2C somewhere

Botterill better have a ###### plan if he's dealing O'Reilly. Casey isn't the answer for this coming season.

I think he views the coming season as one to show improvement but not make the playoffs. And if we make the playoffs, we'd get bounced quickly. Point is, when O'Reilly is 29 or 30 it's too late. Trade high, buy low.

I also wouldn't be shocked if he trades for a top prospect and expiring deal. Throw that guy on Jack's wing and then spin him for even more.

Dahlin is the x factor in my opinion. If he's as good as we are being told, 3 years from today is go time.

I also wouldn't be shocked if he trades for a top prospect and expiring deal. Throw that guy on Jack's wing and then spin him for even more.

I’m starting to see that might be the route we have to take.

Canes and Canadiens may not be able to flip us a late first or equivalent prospect, but a Skinner or a Pacioretty has an equivalent value and can be flipped if necessary. God knows we need some goals.

Going to need a better piece to come with a guy like that though, if it’s for O’Reilly.

Edited by dudacek

To be clear, Friedman was talking about the Sabres pursuing wingers as something separate from the O’Reilly sweepstakes.

It was never once portrayed as O’Reilly for Pacioretty, more like “...and in addition Buffalo is also looking at wingers for Eichel.”

Edited by dudacek

O’Reilly is gone. The team is being handed to Jack.

The most interesting thing to me in that bit was that we are hard after a winger to play with him.

Inquiring about Skinner, Pacioretty and Nash

Why does ROR have to be moved for the team to be Jack’s?

I’m sure the team Jack wants handed to him comes complete with a capable 2C.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.