Trade Speculation and Rumors 2018-19

Brawndo

Freeman raises a good point about the foot, but there is not a huge difference in my mind cost/benefit wise between the five years left for O’Reilly and the seven we’d be paying Karlsson, and the return would be worth it.

Healthy, guys like Karlsson play a game that endures.

We’d get 3-5 years of Karlsson and 3-5 of a latter-day Teppo Numminen

Think of the fit for Housley’s system and the respect from the other guys in the room. This is somebody Jack and Sam would look up to, not to mention Guhle, Dahlin and our growing population of Swedes.

Depends on salary and Ottawa’s price.

But if O’Reilly Karlsson is the root Im definitely willing to discuss the other pieces.

Edited by dudacek

Wouldn't the Sabres be paying Karlsson for 9 years -- i.e. the 1 remaining on his current contract plus an 8-year extension?

Karlsson just turned 28 a couple of weeks ago -- so the Sabres would be paying him until within a few days of his 37th birthday (assuming the Sabres make a deep playoff run that last year -- which as we all know is a rock-solid assumption).

You'd sure want to feel like he would be high-end Karlsson for the 1st 5 years or so -- and not that his foot/ankle will get a bit worse every year so that he's really impaired in year 3.

Freeman raises a good point about the foot, but there is not a huge difference in my mind cost/benefit wise between the five years left for O’Reilly and the seven we’d be paying Karlsson, and the return would be worth it.

Healthy, guys like Karlsson play a game that endures.

We’d get 3-5 years of Karlsson and 3-5 of a latter-day Teppo Numminen

Think of the fit for Housley’s system and the respect from the other guys in the room. This is somebody Jack and Sam would look up to, not to mention Guhle, Dahlin and our growing population of Swedes.

Depends on salary and Ottawa’s price.

But if O’Reilly Karlsson is the root Im definitely willing to discuss the other pieces.

You made the point I was poised to make. Guys that skate like Karlsson play at a high level much longer than normal. I wouldn’t hesitate to give Karlsson a 7-8 yr deal.

Per Dreger

More on Insider Trading. Tavares is now focusing on negotiations with the Islanders on an extension. Daily discussions last two weeks...

A deal could happen quickly, or if negotiations stall, Tavares still has flexibility to consider options during interview period.

Lou Lamoriello has been speaking with Tavares on a constant basis...sharing his plan/vision of the Isles moving forward.

Per Dreger

More on Insider Trading. Tavares is now focusing on negotiations with the Islanders on an extension. Daily discussions last two weeks...

A deal could happen quickly, or if negotiations stall, Tavares still has flexibility to consider options during interview period.

Lou Lamoriello has been speaking with Tavares on a constant basis...sharing his plan/vision of the Isles moving forward.

Thereby increasing ROR's trade value?

Yes sir

Still no has shown me a deal for ROR that ends up with the Sabres as a better team this coming season.  

Lets say you trade ROR for a top 4 and a top 6 LW.  Possible?  Probably not, but lets say possible.  So you have filled two important holes, but created a huge hole in the middle.  So how do you fill it?  Sign 32 year old Paul Stastny to fill that role until Casey is ready for top 6 minutes.

Alternative.  Keep ROR and sign Neal and a D like Hickey or DeHaan.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Still no has shown me a deal for ROR that ends up with the Sabres as a better team this coming season.  

Lets say you trade ROR for a top 4 and a top 6 LW.  Possible?  Probably not, but lets say possible.  So you have filled two important holes, but created a huge hole in the middle.  So how do you fill it?  Sign 32 year old Paul Stastny to fill that role until Casey is ready for top 6 minutes.

With respect I think you're way too focused on being good this coming season.  I understand the want of course but I don't think it's realistic.  We aren't going to be good next season.  There's absolutely no question we are rebuilding.  It's simple for me - either ROR brings me young opportunities to entice me or I keep him.  

When McKenzie reported on the possibility of ROR being moved he mentioned Botterill’s Reasoning was he wants players who are closer in age and can grow with Eichel, Mittelstadt and Dahlin. The objective is not to make the team better for next year but for the next 5 to 10 years. If Botterill feels this is better accomplished by trading ROR for players, ready to play in the NHL this season or top level prospects then he will do it. He is not actively being shopped per Mike Harrington, so any deal would be an overpay for him.

Signing Neal would be a mistake, per Dreger he is looking for a 6 year deal at 42 Million. No thanks.

With respect I think you're way too focused on being good this coming season.  I understand the want of course but I don't think it's realistic.  We aren't going to be good next season.  There's absolutely no question we are rebuilding.  It's simple for me - either ROR brings me young opportunities to entice me or I keep him.  

When McKenzie reported on the possibility of ROR being moved he mentioned Botterill’s Reasoning was he wants players who are closer in age and can grow with Eichel, Mittelstadt and Dahlin. The objective is not to make the team better for next year but for the next 5 to 10 years. If Botterill feels this is better accomplished by trading ROR for players, ready to play in the NHL this season or top level prospects then he will do it. He is not actively being shopped per Mike Harrington, so any deal would be an overpay for him.

Signing Neal would be a mistake, per Dreger he is looking for a 6 year deal at 42 Million. No thanks.

I actually agree with the general concept of moving ROR to get younger and more cohesive.  The problem is we have no idea what we have in Mittelstadt, Asplund, Olofsson, Pu etc...  If we hold onto ROR for more more season, I doubt his trade value suffers much and we buy Casey one year of protected ice time to develop in the NHL.  This way next off-season we can move ROR to fill other holes on the team and then allow Casey to jump into the 2nd line center role.  

Also by adding Casey, Dahlin and a UFA or two to the current mix, we might actually take a step forward next season and become of competitive team.

@incarceratedbob: **UPDATED NHL NEWS**

Source: Montreal Canadiens getting offers for Max Pacioretty 4 teams confirmed to be in "Serious" stages trying to work deal.

Not done but talks are "Progressive"

#Sabres #Hurricanes #Senators still waiting on confirmation on 4th team will update asap #IB

If -- and it's a major if -- Karlsson signs an extension with the Sabres AND the Sabres achieve a high level of confidence about Karlsson's achilles, I would gladly offer the following package for him:

ROR

#32 this year

SJ's #1 in 2019

Guhle or McCabe

Nylander

Not sure that moves the needle enough for Ottawa though.

This is a joke right? For a team that doesn't have the depth to accommodate adding that kind of cap, trading our best defensive forward for Karlsson who isn't getting younger and has had some injury problems lately and doesn't play defense.  This is a terrible idea.  Build up the depth of the D.  If you want to go for the fences, then why not try to trade for one of the CLB studs in their lower 20's.  I understand the attraction to Karlsson, but the Sabres are in their infancy of climbing out of the black hole of hell's despair that Regeir and Murray buried their fans under.  Now I WAS a believer at the beginning of Murray.  However, look at the totality of the sum of all parts.  Scrap this, and focus on getting faster and younger.  I know that futures isn't the attractive idea.  However, the post earlier in this thread with a St. Louis Blues for 2019 1st, Robert Thomas and Vince Dunn. Which would put the team in the path of adding more and not less. Yes, quality over quantity.  However, this team needs to add youth, speed, and skill.  Not age, decline and contract purgatory.  It's great to quantify possibilities.  But until Ullmark or UPL or another goalie comes in, and the depth is cohesive and our coaching structure works, this team is still barely a 10 seed let a lone making it to the 8th.  I will continue to be realistic. 

Edited by TheCerebral1

As duda pointed out, Karlsson and ROR are close in age (actually EK is only 15 months older). 

The Sabres would be getting a much better player (again, assuming EK is fully healed, which may be an unfair or unprovable assumption) who is also probably a better leader.  This move would also substantially improve team speed.

They'd also potentially have the best 2 defensemen on 1 team since Anaheim rode Pronger and Niedermayer to a Cup.

And ROR's salary would wash most of EK's.

1. As duda pointed out, Karlsson and ROR are close in age (actually EK is only 15 months older). 
  2. The Sabres would be getting a much better player (again, assuming EK is fully healed, which may be an unfair or unprovable assumption) who is also probably a better leader.  This move would also substantially improve team speed.
  3. They'd also potentially have the best 2 defensemen on 1 team since Anaheim rode Pronger and Niedermayer to a Cup.
  4. And ROR's salary would wash most of EK's.

1) 15 months older with an injury history that ROR does not have. 

2) I agree it would improve team speed and Karlsson is better than ROR

3) Agree again but idk about the cup part. 

4) This is where I really question things. 7.5 for ROR for the next 5 years ends the contract when he's 32 I think. Karlsson won't sign a new deal until next year. He will effectively be 29 when his new deal starts. If you trade for him he will want an 8 year deal. That takes him to 36. He's also probably going to want in the 9-10mil range. So you are right that for the first few years ROR salary offsets a chunk of Karlsson's but what about in years 5-8? The last 4 years of that deal there is no offset and we have to trust that Karlsson won't decline while being the 2nd highest paid player on the team. I just don't think the Sabres should make that type of commitment even if his ankle is fine. 

This is a joke right? For a team that doesn't have the depth to accommodate adding that kind of cap, trading our best defensive forward for Karlsson who isn't getting younger and has had some injury problems lately and doesn't play defense. This is a terrible idea. Build up the depth of the D. If you want to go for the fences, then why not try to trade for one of the CLB studs in their lower 20's. I understand the attraction to Karlsson, but the Sabres are in their infancy of climbing out of the black hole of hell's despair that Regeir and Murray buried their fans under. Now I WAS a believer at the beginning of Murray. However, look at the totality of the sum of all parts. Scrap this, and focus on getting faster and younger. I know that futures isn't the attractive idea. However, the post earlier in this thread with a St. Louis Blues for 2019 1st, Robert Thomas and Vince Dunn. Which would put the team in the path of adding more and not less. Yes, quality over quantity. However, this team needs to add youth, speed, and skill. Not age, decline and contract purgatory. It's great to quantify possibilities. But until Ullmark or UPL or another goalie comes in, and the depth is cohesive and our coaching structure works, this team is still barely a 10 seed let a lone making it to the 8th. I will continue to be realistic.

I understand the overall sentiment, but the bolded is hogwash. Just because Karlsson doesn't clear the crease like Pronger doesn't mean he doesn't play defense. His gap control, stick work and zone exits are all terrific.

Don't act like Eichel and Dahlin aren't/won't be

I'm as optimistic about Dahlin as anyone, but he hasn't played a minute in the NHL yet.  He's not a superstar until he is one.

And Jack has played 3 NHL seasons at this point and is considered a superstar by no one.  He shows flashes of being a top-5 NHL player, and he might achieve superstar status, but he certainly might not.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.