Trade Speculation and Rumors 2018-19

Brawndo

No, I would either want both with no picks or 1 with picks a forward lesser prospect

I want overpayment for ROR and nothing short of that will do

Crap, I meant both without a first or maybe a second included. Meant to use this & and used this / instead.

By the way, apparently Chiarelli and the Oilers are convinced they can move Lucic and his albatross of a contract

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/edmonton-oilers-looking-to-trade-milan-lucic-by-sweetening-a-deal-says-tsns-seravalli

Yea.. Lucic and McDavid for _________.  Who the hell is going to take Lucic otherwise?

Oh god I am picturing a Galchenyuk for Lucic deal of some kind. 

At this point he's just become the NHL's version of Steve Fisher for me. I'm going to be genuinely disappointed when Montreal fires him :lol:

Edited by WildCard

By the way, apparently Chiarelli and the Oilers are convinced they can move Lucic and his albatross of a contract

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/edmonton-oilers-looking-to-trade-milan-lucic-by-sweetening-a-deal-says-tsns-seravalli

ETA until somebody proposes Okposo for Lucic because of toughness?

ETA until somebody proposes Okposo for Lucic because of toughness?

Openly admitting the Sabres obtain Lucic should be grounds for an instant ban right?

I mean, I would say the same for Marchand but he actually has talent.

Other notes from the interview, he does not expect the Canes to be in on ROR as they already have him in Staal, although he doesn’t have ROR Offensive Abilities. Especially with the fact that they have almost identical contracts.

Also he spoke about Skinner and how he is difficult to play with from a center standpoint as he likes to have the puck on his stick. Not sure that will work with Jack.

Hanifin gets protected minutes in Carolina. His Corsi is good but he starts 63.1% of the time in the offensive zone (5v5). He is almost even in give v take aways but he is always giving it away more. His sh% doubled last year which could explain why he had more goals. His shots when up by about 50 last year but he averaged an extra minute a game so that seems to even out. 

If you include all of zone starts it jumps up to 67.1% o-zone starts. 

Reinhart on the opposite side of things starts 55.5% of the time in the o-zone at 5v5. He starts 66.4% in the o-zone if you include all but we know that he doesn't play the PK and gets first line PP minutes so that's why. 

Edited by Skurk Liger

Per Brayton Wilson

.@mikemaniscalco just said with Howard and Jeremy that if the #Sabres were to acquire Noah Hanifin from the Hurricanes, the deal would probably have to incorporate Sam Reinhart.

who's maniscalo?

was hanifin the same draft year as eichel?

also, and this is more than a mere throwaway comment, i just realized that eichel is an only child. i'm putting that one firmly in my back pocket for now, and hoping that we stop hearing about how the face of the franchise doesn't always play well with others.

who's maniscalo?

also, and this is more than a mere throwaway comment, i just realized that eichel is an only child. i'm putting that one firmly in my back pocket for now, and hoping that we stop hearing about how the face of the franchise doesn't always play well with others.

I think Jack has an older sister named Jessie. Cannot comment on whether or not they get along :P

Per Brayton Wilson

.@mikemaniscalco just said with Howard and Jeremy that if the #Sabres were to acquire Noah Hanifin from the Hurricanes, the deal would probably have to incorporate Sam Reinhart.

I'd say no to this because then we'd be looking at Evan Rodrigues as our best LW and Kyle Okposo as our best RW. Puke inducing.

Per Brayton Wilson

who's maniscalo?

Mike Maniscalco has been slowly rising up through the Hurricanes media ranks.  He's a Kenmore East alum.  We went to high school together.  I would imagine he would have knowledge of these things.. he's a genuine good guy.

I'd be curious for a #fancystats breakdown of Hanifan, if anyone is so inclined.

Let's learn together! 

While I have this site open: 

hanifin_1.jpg

I've put little blobs on all of the Sabres. This shows us that he would have been our best offensive transition defenseman had he done the exact same things as a Buffalo Sabre, by a fair amount, in terms of what percentage of times did the puck leave the zone with possession when it was on his stick, either via carrying or passing. This also shows us that he's still pretty mediocre, but better than most Sabres, at allowing entrance to the zone. I can't say whether this was by coaching design, by his struggles, or both, but it does support the outsider notion that he's a nice puck moving D with defensive issues. 

hanifin_2.jpg

One can debate endlessly how much this quality-of-competition stat or even o-zone start % matters, but I still count it as "usage." And it is clear on this chart of Buffalo and Carolina D that he is the most sheltered player in either organization. He performs relatively well with respect to his team but that can easily be explained by his ease of minutes, which I've read Canes fans talk about. I've also read that when they try to pull him out of these minutes and play him with Pesce, it doesn't go very well, so his acquisition would mean that we expect the cause of this to be the fact that he's still 21 years old, and that he will improve greatly in tougher roles as he plays more and develops. It's definitely a bit of a risk, but a risk that a Reinhart deal doesn't bug me as much about. However, ROR is a no-go if Hanifin is the major piece for that reason. 

To actually look at all of his stats: 

hanifin_3.jpg

The normal stats are pretty good. 32 points from the back end at 21 years old is great, and that number could well increase going forward. He gets a reasonable amount of ice time and produces mostly at even strength. Some of his possession stats are as follows:

P/60: 1.07

CF%: 55.92%

GF%: 45%

xGF%: 54.77%

PDO: 97.45%

I picked these particular ones out for a reason. First, that P/60 is very, very good for a defenseman. It's roughly 25th in the league, for defenseman that played at least half of a season. PK Subban is right underneath him, and Seth Jones is right above him in that regard. 

Second, while he is incredibly sheltered, he puts it to good use - that corsi percentage is the fourth best in the league of any D that has played at least 500 minutes. Now, Carolina is the best possession team in the league, so it's worth noting that - he's a good piece to fit the system, but the system helps that out just as much. And just like last year and the year before, the reason they have been let down despite this is evident in that PDO - usually PDOs between 98 and 102 aren't really worth looking at, but his is quite low and has never been higher than 98.2%, because the last three years, you probably cannot find a team with worse goaltending over the stretch between Ward, Lack, and Darling. They don't have a lot of talented forwards either, which has hindered their ability to capitalize on the fact that they regularly outshoot and outchance the opponents. 

Third, this leads to his low percentage of goals scored while he's on the ice being for his team, which explains his +/-. But when you weight where shots are coming from, the quality of shots, with league shooting percentages from those areas, which is what xGF% is, you see that with league average shooting and save percentage, he would actually be on the ice for more goals than goals against, which is good - so it's not that he's "even failing in sheltered minutes", he's playing in such a way that is conducive to succeeding in those minutes, but the results aren't there yet, and that can largely be traced to events outside of his control. 

However, you still want to see that success manifest before trading a guy like ROR for him. 

His most common linemate by far in these minutes is Trevor van Riemsdyk.

Lastly, the charts that Swamp hates just because I can:

hanifin_4.jpg

hanifin_5.jpg

I assume that some of the "7 new replies added" are answers to nfreeman's question that make this post redundant, oh well, I still had fun.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.