Holy Mackerel! Sabres Win Dahlin Lottery!

Randall Flagg

You know, you are basically giving credit to the Bills for being lucky and not sucking as bad as other teams.  They were anything but good this past season.  They were an mediocre team that got by on a fluke play from the Bengals.  That pass gets dropped or doesn't end up in the end zone and your tune on the Bills is that they were mediocre and missed the playoffs.

How good were the Bills?  They jettisoned their starting QB.  No team that is GOOD, gets rid of their starting QB.

When the Bills retreat back into 4-12 land this year what will be the attitude towards that team and their successful leadership?

The Ravens sacked Trent Dilfer the year after they won the SB with him.

1) Scandella and Bogosian?  Oh boy.   I like Scandella, but he hasn't exactly been around the block a few times.   Bogo?  I'm talking about "on-ice" direction, not in the trainers room.  

Scandella is 5 months older than Bogosian. He has played in 8 full seasons as a professional with little more than a season's worth of those were in the AHL. 

We don't need Zdeno Chara experience level here to help out an 18 year old. 

Edited by Sakman

I think the reaction to this prospect is, as much as anything, a Rorschach test for posters here. You end up expressing, in part, who you are and what you're about through how you're choosing to receive and respond to the information we're getting about an 18 year-old prospect.

That's what a highlight reel is.

Where's his lowlight reel?

*ahem*

*ahem*

Character assassination of those who don't think Dahlin is the second coming of Bobby Orrlsson? Nice.

One can be positive and optimistic and not want to participate in a thread like this. Right off the top — can we stop jinxing the kid already!? Maybe it's to set him up for the kill. There are folks in this thread who will have their knives out if he's not James Norris-Hedman by Christmas.

Character assassination of those who don't think Dahlin is the second coming of Bobby Orrlsson? Nice.

One can be positive and optimistic and not want to participate in a thread like this. Right off the top — can we stop jinxing the kid already!? Maybe it's to set him up for the kill. There are folks in this thread who will have their knives out if he's not James Norris-Hedman by Christmas.

Dahlin is going to be good. Expect his first season to be up and down and then season 2 and forward will be good. 

Oh, please.

The NFL in general is a league based on circumstance. The fact is the Bills made the playoffs, so there is trust with that front office that there isn't with the Sabres

Okay, you'll be lucky to have that trust after this season.

The Ravens sacked Trent Dilfer the year after they won the SB with him.

That they did.  They had a defense that broke the record for least points allowed in a season. They also went on to decline fairly well right after that since the defense couldn't hold them up anymore and their replacement QBs were terrible.  So, you are correct, but supported by the best defense the NFL had ever seen at that time (in terms of points allowed).  The Bills can't even come close to that.

Another view of Dahlin and the Swedes from the Charging Buffalo

I had the opportunity to speak to Jokke Nevalainen and ask him a few questions about some Sabres prospects in the SHL. We discussed the likes of Rasmus Dahlin, Victor Olofsson, Rasmus Asplund, Lawrence Pilut, and Marcus Davidsson.

Jokke Nevalainen is a regular writer at DobberProspects.com where he covers the Swedish and Finnish leagues among other things. His Twitter handle is @JokkeNevalainen, and he hails from Tampere, Finland. He grew up idolizing legendary Finnish defenseman Teppo Numminen who finished his career with the Sabres.

Question: Since the Sabres won the lottery pretty much every quote about Rasmus Dahlin that’s out there has made its rounds through the Sabres community. The defense version of Connor McDavid, close to no flaws in his game, franchise changer. Frolunda was a solid team this past year going 25-15 with a 2nd round playoff loss – how big of an impact did Dahlin make on that team and what kind of impact do you anticipate him making immediately in the NHL?

Jokke: Dahlin was a top-pair defenseman for Frölunda, and his even strength ice time was highest among his team at 17:20 per game. Dahlin is capable of playing on either side, and he was actually used on the right side in Frölunda even though he’s a left-handed shot. He was also used on the second power play unit but wasn’t used on the penalty kill. Dahlin’s minutes weren’t huge but his impact was big, and he was one of their best players in the playoffs.

Next season, I think Dahlin can handle a top-four role in the NHL. If the Sabres use him on their top power play unit, Dahlin could get close to 40 points. I know some people have huge expectations for him right away but I’d like to preach patience because Dahlin is still just a kid who’s maturing both physically and mentally. I believe he’ll be a franchise player but I don’t like the McDavid comparison because McDavid and Sidney Crosby are on a different level from everyone else. However, I think Dahlin will be in that next tier alongside elite players like Auston Matthews and Jack Eichel for example.

Question: Victor Olofsson, Rasmus Dahlin’s teammate and 2014 7th round pick has seriously emerged as an elite goal scorer this season winning the SHL scoring title. Olofsson has flashed his offensive potential since his first development camp in Buffalo but he’s well known as a one-way player and not very physical or defensively rounded. Do you feel his offensive tools are good enough to translate to the NHL despite not being overly physical or involved defensively? Do you feel Olofsson could be ready to make the NHL right away or do you envision a season in the AHL first?

Jokke:I do think Olofsson needs some time in the AHL first but with the right kind of usage, he could use his great release to score goals at the NHL level as well. His biggest strength is definitely the one-timers he can shoot from the right-side half-wall on the power play, and I think that’s something that works in any league. You’re absolutely right about his weaknesses and because of them, he’ll need to play a sheltered role to have success in the NHL. But I think he’s talented enough to do that if the Sabres are willing to look past his weaknesses and focus on his strengths instead.

Question: The Sabres are rumored to be signing 22 year old and 2018 SHL defenseman of the year, Lawrence Pilut. Do you envision Pilut in the NHL this season and what are some things he can bring to the Sabres blue line?

Jokke: Pilut may need a short stint in the AHL but I think he’s good enough to play most of next season in the NHL. Pilut has a good package of offensive tools at his disposal. He’s also smart defensively but will need to add some muscle over the summer to handle puck battles at the NHL level. Pilut is a puck-moving defenseman but he played big minutes in all situations in the SHL because he’s such a smart player. He’s great at running a power play from the blue line, and I think he’s capable of doing that in the NHL as well. I’m a fan of Pilut, and I think he’s a better prospect than Andreas Borgman for example who received a lot of hype last year because he signed with the Maple Leafs.

Question: Marcus Davidsson is expected to return to the SHL for another season, how do you anticipate his role to grow with Djurgårdens IF next season?

Jokke: Well, first of all Marcus Davidsson needs to adjust to new wingers around him because he spent most of last season with his older brother Jonathan on the right side and Axel Jonsson-Fjällby on the left side, and both of them signed their entry level contracts and are expected to make the jump to North America. Marcus was already used in all situations last season but I think he’ll receive more even strength ice time and probably more short-handed time as well because both Jonathan and Axel were regulars on the penalty kill. I’m interested to see how Marcus does without his brother especially because Jonathan was responsible for creating offense on that line, so now Marcus probably needs to do more of that himself.

Question: Rasmus Asplund finished up what’s expected to be his last season with Farjestad BK before making the transition to North America. Asplund struggled in the SHL playoffs this season but what do you feel are the best areas of his game and how do you feel his game will translate to North America when he makes the transition?

Jokke: Asplund plays a very mature, well-rounded game. He’s a smart player who usually ends up making the right decision regardless of the situation. He carried an ‘A’ on his chest which is impressive for such a young player and shows that he also has leadership abilities. He was mostly used as their second line center, and he was also used on both special teams. I don’t see him being a power play player at the NHL level but he’s the type of player coaches love to have because you can trust him in any situation, he can play against top players, and he can also win important faceoffs. I don’t see him having any difficulties adjusting to North America but I think his upside is a bit limited.

Huge thanks to Jokke for taking the time to answer a few questions! Make sure to check him out on social media @JokkeNevalainen.

Interesting about Asplund- second line center?  We've been penciling in Casey for that roll after ROR gets traded (if he does).  It looks like there may be a lot of competition for center spots, even more reason to lose Larsson (even though I think he may be okay as the 4C).  The Sabres could end up with a bunch of 1Cs and 2Cs competing for top 6 minutes with some ending up as 3-4C.  It sounds like it would make the Sabres a pretty formidable team.

It seems like we're getting an awful lot of talent from Sweden.  It's no longer a secret that Sweden produces some great hockey talent, but I like that the Sabres are looking for players from all possible sources.

Interesting about Asplund- second line center?  We've been penciling in Casey for that roll after ROR gets traded (if he does).  It looks like there may be a lot of competition for center spots, even more reason to lose Larsson (even though I think he may be okay as the 4C).  The Sabres could end up with a bunch of 1Cs and 2Cs competing for top 6 minutes with some ending up as 3-4C.  It sounds like it would make the Sabres a pretty formidable team.

It seems like we're getting an awful lot of talent from Sweden.  It's no longer a secret that Sweden produces some great hockey talent, but I like that the Sabres are looking for players from all possible sources.

Wondering if any of these guys can switch to wing like Sam?

Honestly, that's the more likely scenario.  I would hope, though, that the C talent we have doesn't atrophy.  We've used Sam at C occasionally to compensate for injuries.  He's an established wing at this point, but can play C if need be.  I hope the rest of the Cs, even those who get moved to wing, retain the ability to play C.  I think that's where the "you can never have too many centers" trope comes from- injuries happen, and it's good to have some dual-role players on the roster.

Being the #2 C in the SHL is NOT equivalent to being the #2 C in the NHL. Granted, he is still young, but an expectation of him being a 4C is extremely realistic & 3C is nearly definitely his ceiling. If, in 2-3 years, he is challenging Mittelstadt for ice time, it is far more likely to be due to Casey being a disappointment rather than Rasmus exhibiting the "wow" factor.

Almost all C's can play wing. (Larsson being a notable exception.) There are a ton of NHL wingers that grew up as C's. Not so many W's make the switch. (Bylsma's weird Rodrigues experiment not withstanding. ;))

There are a ton of NHL wingers that grew up as C's. 

I wish I could find it, but I seem to recall an article where the writer interviewed the all-time greats about the selections for an all-time great team and, IIRC, there was some solid (funny) give and take between and among the top 3 forwards -- maybe Gretzky, Lemieux, and Crosby? -- about who gets to play center on that top line. The idea being: They'd stay on the top line rather than drop down to center a 2nd line. Just amusing.

I wish I could find it, but I seem to recall an article where the writer interviewed the all-time greats about the selections for an all-time great team and, IIRC, there was some solid (funny) give and take between and among the top 3 forwards -- maybe Gretzky, Lemieux, and Crosby? -- about who gets to play center on that top line. The idea being: They'd stay on the top line rather than drop down to center a 2nd line. Just amusing.

Earlier this season Mike Babcock was asked his thoughts about the TB Lightning and he gushed about the number of centers on the team.

I’m more convinced than ever that there is seldom a need to draft wingers. Centers can readily be converted to wing and perform well there.

Earlier this season Mike Babcock was asked his thoughts about the TB Lightning and he gushed about the number of centers on the team.

I’m more convinced than ever that there is seldom a need to draft wingers. Centers can readily be converted to wing and perform well there.

Depends on the talent gap between the center and winger. 

Depends on the talent gap between the center and winger.

All other things equal, of course.

We need players on the wing. Badly. That doesn’t mean we need to draft wingers. We can draft centers and expect them to fill those holes. That’s what I mean.

All other things equal, of course.

We need players on the wing. Badly. That doesn’t mean we need to draft wingers. We can draft centers and expect them to fill those holes. That’s what I mean.

True. It is why I like Ty Dellandrea at #32. Could be converted to wing

Hey, the greatest center ever grew up playing defense.  (I just learned that this morning.)  https://imgur.com/a/bH78NxG

His peewee team was forced to move him to D because he was scoring too much at F, other teams complained thinking that if they moved him back to D, he wouldn't score so much.    It backfired because he played more as a defensemen and it's easier to rush the puck up ice from that position.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.