Evander Kane did very well in his 1st playoff game

gilbert11

Evander Kane is a very good hockey player. The Sabres were a bad team. He did pretty well on a very bad team.

There might be a separate thread for this subject, but why has Phil Housley been given a free pass for the Sabres demise this year? I've heard virtually nothing pointing the blame at him. Maybe I just haven't noticed amidst all the other failures.

Because Jbot knows he didn’t give him a roster that could execute the system properly. Wowie had some real +’s and -‘s this season. Reaching Sam and Jack were huge long-term pluses for this organization.

I’m not a Kane fan. I think his shoot first and pass rarely mentality was a terrible fit here, especially playing with Jack. That said Kane, after the initial incidents here seemed to really mature. His play and effort certainly did. We all need to hope that SJ really likes him and re-signs him to salvage the trade.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

The refrain has been even Scotty Bowman couldn't win with these guys. But finish dead last? No way. Something was very much amiss, and it's hard for me to see greatness out of Housley after this debacle. Also, FWIW, Botterill has gotten off easy, too. He had a draft, a free agent period, a trade deadline, a whole season. He turned over half the roster and they still stunk. He sat on his hands while the team burned early on, and the Kane deal was dreadful. Not a good start for either guy.

This franchise is just jinxed. Even when Bowman was in charge they couldn't win a cup, even though he had won one everywhere else.

Because Jbot knows he didn’t give him a roster that could execute the system properly. Wowie had some real +’s and -‘s this season. Reaching Sam and Jack were huge long-term pluses for this organization.

I’m not a Kane fan. I think his shoot first and pass rarely mentality was a terrible fit here, especially playing with Jack. That said Kane, after the initial incidents here seemed to really mature. His play and effort certainly did. We all need to hope that SJ really likes him and re-signs him to salvage the trade.

In last night's game, Kane was in a 2 on 1 with Donskoi, with Donskoi carrying the puck in and then passing to Kane at point blank range. Kane actually passed it back to him at the right side of the goal for Donskoi to score. I was shocked. Even the Sharks play-by-play guy immediately said Kane could've easily scored himself but he passed yo his teammate. Looks like being in a winning environment is wearing off on the guy.

Another excellent night for Evander.....  a goal and an assist.   He's probably overjoyed to be out of the madhouse of Pegulaville.  They need a sign for the locker room entrance at Keybank...

"Abandon Hope, All Ye Who Enter Here"

In last night's game, Kane was in a 2 on 1 with Donskoi, with Donskoi carrying the puck in and then passing to Kane at point blank range. Kane actually passed it back to him at the right side of the goal for Donskoi to score. I was shocked. Even the Sharks play-by-play guy immediately said Kane could've easily scored himself but he passed yo his teammate. Looks like being in a winning environment is wearing off on the guy.

He did the same in Buffalo in an empty net situation to give a goal to Reinhart, I think for Sam's first hat trick.

He did the same in Buffalo in an empty net situation to give a goal to Reinhart, I think for Sam's first hat trick.

He also had 20Gs and 20 assists this year in Buffalo so that scenario that he never passes is bogus also.

Winning environment or playing with good players?

This franchise is just jinxed. Even when Bowman was in charge they couldn't win a cup, even though he had won one everywhere else.

To be fair, at the time he came to Buffalo he had only won multiple cups in Montreal.  Before that he had 3 cusps (shout out to PA) in St. Louis as coach.

So, not everywhere else and not in Buffalo, although he came pretty close in his first year as coach and GM.  Not very close following that as GM.

Of course, he moved on from Buffalo and won multiple cups at every stop.

Makes one wonder.

Winning environment or playing with good players?

The 2nd one IMO.

I’ve said before that Kane’s rep as a selfish player was rooted in him being surrounded by jags for most of his career. He knew the best chance of a +1 was if he did it himself. And we saw that here. Once Jack and Sam showed that they were capable of putting away his dishes, he had no problem passing off to them.

The 2nd one IMO.

I’ve said before that Kane’s rep as a selfish player was rooted in him being surrounded by jags for most of his career. He knew the best chance of a +1 was if he did it himself. And we saw that here. Once Jack and Sam showed that they were capable of putting away his dishes, he had no problem passing off to them.

*Attempting to pass and putting it into shinpads/onto opponents sticks because his vision and passing were both mediocre*

and well in his 2nd and 3rd.........

Marcus Foligno looked like the kind of player we long for too in game 3 didn't he?

If you find yourself longing for Marcus Foligno, you may need to take a step back and do some personal reflection.

*Attempting to pass and putting it into shinpads/onto opponents sticks because his vision and passing were both mediocre*

And let's not pretend he was suddenly some passer. He still loved his low percentage shots into the goalie's crest.

If you find yourself longing for Marcus Foligno, you may need to take a step back and do some personal reflection.

And let's not pretend he was suddenly some passer. He still loved his low percentage shots into the goalie's crest.

I made no commentary tegarding his skill as a passer, just on his supposed selfishness.

Yeah, it's really easy now to see Kane hot in the playoffs like he was here for 2.5 months and lament what should have been, but we know and understand that he goes on runs like that, and it's completely reasonable to note that his play has never been an integral part of a team making the playoffs, didn't help us get anywhere, and doesn't fit in with the kind of hockey (namely, that with sustainable possession and high-hockey-IQ players) we need to desperately add more of to the team. Even if he skates fast and hits hard. 

I'm rooting hard for the guy and think he fits in the Pacific Division well, AND I'm glad we didn't re-sign him and aren't planning on it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.