Evander Kane did very well in his 1st playoff game

gilbert11

It's also BS to ask me to give a crap about what he did in Montreal. They didn't have any problem moving on from him. Same with NJ. Who willingly jettisons that good of a leader? 

That's exactly what I want. A Stanley Cup vet who knows when buttons need to be pushed and doesn't care who's buttons they are. Not some lackey for the administration. Maybe a real locker room leader gets the kids to rally around him and gets Bylsma fired sooner? Maybe a real locker room leader is standing in Terry Pegula's office going "hey, our GM is completely out to lunch. This team is a mess."

Gionta will forever be attached to Bylsma for me. Feckless.

Colorado, Calgary, and (depending upon the lens used to view events in the Fall of '06), Buffalo. (& technically, people here consider that guy a far better leader than Gionta.)

Expected this

As We’ve said, no use for an automatic 30/30 guy his entire career at our weakest position on a $4 million contract?

He should have never been the captain and only got stuck there because Therrien hated Subban.

He’s no top forward, but as a 4-5 guy beside an ace centre?

Free from the oven that is being expected to carry Montreal he will respond like Kessel freed from Toronto.

But you know that's not what I said.

They would take no less than one of ROR, 23, or 55.

Since that is the case, he can keep stat padding in Montreal.

If they'll take McCabe and Zemgus for him, then sure.

You made your disdain pretty clear.

I would be happy to take a wager that his return will be a lot closer to a late first and a B prospect than any of the players named.

You made your disdain pretty clear.

I would be happy to take a wager that his return will be a lot closer to a late first and a B prospect than any of the players named.

We don't have a late first though, or anything really like it, eh?

I kinda want to hang onto that second too, in case it could help in a goaltender trade. If I could make three moves this offseason, it would be an Enstrom/Hjalmarsson type for Dahlin to play with, a goalie that we KNOW can be at least league average if possible, and forward depth. 

I kinda want to hang onto that second too, in case it could help in a goaltender trade. If I could make three moves this offseason, it would be an Enstrom/Hjalmarsson type for Dahlin to play with, a goalie that we KNOW can be at least league average if possible, and forward depth.

Mostly agree with this.

My first priority is getting out of goalie purgatory.

Doesn’t this forward lineup look decent, though?

Pacioretty Eichel ????

Wilson O’Reilly Reinhart

Girgensons Casey Okposo

Bailey Rodrigues Baptiste

Maybe Larsson into 4C and move Girgensons or one the young 4th liners up to Jack’s line.

Mostly agree with this.

Pacioretty Eichel ????

Wilson O’Reilly Reinhart

Girgensons Casey Okposo

Maybe Larsson into 4C and move Girgensons or one the young 4th liners up to Jack’s line.

Sure, but I just don't think we can add Max and have that lineup, or a remotely decent-looking defense. What are we giving up, a 2019 first and Guhle and Nylander?

Trade for 1 of the Caps tandem (or somehow pulloff that Rinne for Bogosian thought). Sign a couple of Aisle FAs: DeHaan & Tavares.

Move bottom 6/3rd pairing/AHLers for other bottom 6/3rd pairing/ AHLers that fit the vision better.

Start work on next season.

Mostly agree with this.

Pacioretty Eichel ????

Wilson O’Reilly Reinhart

Girgensons Casey Okposo

Wilson and the 3 AAAA guys make me want to dig my eye out with a spoon.

Trade for 1 of the Caps tandem (or somehow pulloff that Rinne for Bogosian thought). Sign a couple of Aisle FAs: DeHaan & Tavares.

Move bottom 6/3rd pairing/AHLers for other bottom 6/3rd pairing/ AHLers that fit the vision better.

Start work on next season.

Don't need to trade for one of the Caps' goalies.  They will not be able to keep both.

My own view of the captain problem is that in this league, your captain has to be one of the better players on your team. Gionta may have been a good captain once, but when his play dropped off it was likely hard for him to get the respect of the young talented players who all saw themselves as better than him. Jack's immaturity was likely why they held off on naming him captain, but now that he is signed for eternity at big money it's sink or swim with him as the lead dog. If he isn't mature enough to be a solid captain we are screwed. 

Max turns 30 in November, will be a UFA after next season and is coming off his career-low scoring season.  I don't think he'll cost nearly that much.

Maybe the Sabres' #2 pick this year?  That would be pretty close to dudacek's low #1.  I'm not sure whether anyone would give more than that given Max's contract situation -- and I don't think anyone would trade for him and give him a big contract right away either.

Mostly agree with this.

Pacioretty Eichel ????

Wilson O’Reilly Reinhart

Girgensons Casey Okposo

I'm endorsing both goalie as top priority and Max on Eichel's wing IF they can get him without giving up more than their #2 pick this year plus someone like Bailey or Baptiste.

Don't need to trade for one of the Caps' goalies.  They will not be able to keep both.

Although I agree that the Caps won't be able to keep both, I think a trade will be necessary because there will be multiple teams interested in getting whichever one the Caps decide to trade.

I do know one thing. Evander Kane was bad leader who helped show Reinhart and Eichel the fun side of being a rich hockey player when they needed to focus on actually being good hockey players. I think Kane's waning influence helps explain Reinhart's rise and also why Eichel seemed to take a better approach following Housley's private skate. I don't believe for 1 second the coaching staff and Botterill didn't know about the partying going on or that lack of game preparation. 

This kinda got lost. I agree 100 per cent.

I think it is very telling Botterill apparently made no effort to retain Kane.

I think the kids were unconsciously given the choice of following ancient company man Brian, mopey nerdy Ryan, or hot chicks and fast cars Evander. It was pretty clear which one they gravitated to. That's why Gionta and Kane are gone.

Reading into what Botterill, Housley and O'Reilly have said, I also think the brass desperately wants Ryan to man up and start holding his teammates as accountable as he holds himself — go Drury, instead of meekly letting them mock him. And they want less mocking and more team accountability from Jack, Sam and Risto. That's why Botterill is urging the secondary voices to step up, why he did what he did with the prospects, and why he trumpeted the tightness and togetherness of Rochester so much.

The Sabres room functioned like a frat house when it needs to be a barracks. Everyone acknowledges that the leadership is weak. Botterill knows this and he has to fix it. Any moves made over the summer will be made more with personalities in mind more than talent.

Tim Murray's biggest flaw was not misjudging talent, overpaying in trades, or drafting too few defencemen, it was failing to understand that people aren't racehorses and teams need to be teams just as much as they need to be talented.

Edited by dudacek

Max turns 30 in November, will be a UFA after next season and is coming off his career-low scoring season.  I don't think he'll cost nearly that much.

Maybe the Sabres' #2 pick this year?  That would be pretty close to dudacek's low #1.  I'm not sure whether anyone would give more than that given Max's contract situation -- and I don't think anyone would trade for him and give him a big contract right away either.

I'm endorsing both goalie as top priority and Max on Eichel's wing IF they can get him without giving up more than their #2 pick this year plus someone like Bailey or Baptiste.

Although I agree that the Caps won't be able to keep both, I think a trade will be necessary because there will be multiple teams interested in getting whichever one the Caps decide to trade.

Offer sheet Grubauer.

Offer sheet Grubauer.

It's an interesting idea, but once you get to $4MM per year on the offer sheet, the RFA comp is a #1 and a #3.  That's more than I would want to pay for him, and likely (possibly?) more than the Caps would get if they auctioned him off.

It's an interesting idea, but once you get to $4MM per year on the offer sheet, the RFA comp is a #1 and a #3.  That's more than I would want to pay for him, and likely (possibly?) more than the Caps would get if they auctioned him off.

Especially with it being one or our #1s

Offer sheet Grubauer.

I still believe you can get Grubauer and Orpik as a salary dump(One Year 5.5 Million) for a 2019 3rd Round Pick. That allows the Capitals to re sign John Carlson. Otherwise it would be a 2019 2nd straight up most likely.

So do it at $3M, which would double Grubauer's salary.

I still believe you can get Grubauer and Orpik as a salary dump(One Year 5.5 Million) for a 2019 3rd Round Pick. That allows the Capitals to re sign John Carlson. Otherwise it would be a 2019 2nd straight up most likely.

I would do this, too.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.