Ryan O'Reilly: "Stuck with the mindset of losing"

LGR4GM

“We’re stuck with this mindset of being OK with losing. ... It’s sad.” - Sabres’ Ryan O’Reilly, who says he lost his love of the game at times.

O’Reilly: “Last day. A lot of self reflection. I think I have to be mentally tougher, I think I can improve that. It’s not about what I think, it’s about what I do. It starts with training.”

Yeah, its pretty clear to me that ROR isn't a Captain in this league. He talks like this all the time, whether its about himself or the team. You can't have that sort of negativity when you're supposed to be a leader. 

I think he's a very skilled defensive center and I'd like him on the team going forward, but give Jack the C next year and be done with it.

Yeah, its pretty clear to me that ROR isn't a Captain in this league. He talks like this all the time, whether its about himself or the team. You can't have that sort of negativity when you're supposed to be a leader. 

I think he's a very skilled defensive center and I'd like him on the team going forward, but give Jack the C next year and be done with it.

Same

Also, get rid of Okposo.

I'm reminded of the Instagram incident from early this season.  IIRC, it was Bogo, Jack, Sam. Something derogatory was said about ROR and everybody giggled, then it was deleted in short order.   I don't think he's a very popular figure in the room.  Listening to him in interviews, I can see why.  

The lost love component is the money quote, IMHO. It almost sounds like a calculated effort to force a trade.

Also — if ROR wants out and the differences are irreconcilable, he has to go. If these issues can be fixed, better to try and rehab him, I think. Because the Sabres will be a worse team on paper without him. (It's been established that when Botterill has to make a move, he will be raked over the coals.) Look at what you lose: a 60-point two-way center who skates on the power play top unit and kills penalties, eats up minutes, leads the league in faceoffs and didn't take a single penalty this year that led to the Sabres being shorthanded.

This team just desperately needs more positive attitude guys in the room. They don't need someone to kick their . They need guys who are upbeat and inspire hope. 

I'm sure most teams have players who suffer depression issues, or are kinda mopey, but you can bring those guys along with you if you have a good group of guys around them.

Shades of Ville Leino there...

This team just desperately needs more positive attitude guys in the room. They don't need someone to kick their ######. They need guys who are upbeat and inspire hope. 

I'm sure most teams have players who suffer depression issues, or are kinda mopey, but you can bring those guys along with you if you have a good group of guys around them.

Shades of Ville Leino there...

Bingo bango bongo. Guys like this are huge to a team; Kevin Millar for the red Sox via 04', Didi Gregorious right now for the Yankees, etc. 

Sorry, only baseball guys come to mind

“We’re stuck with this mindset of being OK with losing. ... It’s sad.” - Sabres’ Ryan O’Reilly, who says he lost his love of the game at times.

O’Reilly: “Last day. A lot of self reflection. I think I have to be mentally tougher, I think I can improve that. It’s not about what I think, it’s about what I do. It starts with training.”

I hope you enjoy St. Louis Ryan

The lost love component is the money quote, IMHO. It almost sounds like a calculated effort to force a trade.

Also — if ROR wants out and the differences are irreconcilable, he has to go. If these issues can be fixed, better to try and rehab him, I think. Because the Sabres will be a worse team on paper without him. (It's been established that when Botterill has to make a move, he will be raked over the coals.) Look at what you lose: a 60-point two-way center who skates on the power play top unit and kills penalties, eats up minutes, leads the league in faceoffs and didn't take a single penalty this year that led to the Sabres being shorthanded.

The Botterill over the coals is such a horseshit statement. ROR is an expiring ufa everyone knows you have to trade asap? You're better than that comment PA Edited by Skurk Liger

Can't believe how many here are raking him over the coals for giving his honest opinion. He obviously hates losing and this season was hard on him.

Fans often lose sight of the fact these are real people who feel real emotions and expect them to just be able to handle every situation.

Maybe if more teammates (and coaches) hated losing as much as he did, they wouldn't be in this situation.

The Botterill over the coals is such a horseshit statement. ROR is an expiring ufa everyone knows you have to trade asap? You're better than that comment PA

Thanks.

You have a player who is talking like he wants out and might even have predicted his trade depending on how you interpret his comment from a few weeks ago (Hammy stood by that interpretation). The Sabres certainly need to shake things up. It puts Botterill in a position of weakness. If you don't think how the Kane trade played out doesn't enter into other GMs' thinking, I don't know what to tell you.

Can't believe how many here are raking him over the coals for giving his honest opinion. He obviously hates losing and this season was hard on him.

Fans often lose sight of the fact these are real people who feel real emotions and expect them to just be able to handle every situation.

Maybe if more teammates (and coaches) hated losing as much as he did, they wouldn't be in this situation.

I can't think of many factors in the team's slow start more significant that O'Reilly being terrible. He needed to put up and let his play do the talking. The woe is me and "I don't even recognize myself on the ice anymore" isn't a hatred of losing, it's a self-loathing. I don't want that anywhere near Mittelstadt and Nylander et al.

Bingo bango bongo. Guys like this are huge to a team; Kevin Millar for the red Sox via 04', Didi Gregorious right now for the Yankees, etc.

Sorry, only baseball guys come to mind

This is why I need guys like Ullmark here. We need dudes with his mindset to calm the locker room. O'Reilly is a good player, but I think he's one of those people who is super sensitive to the mood in the room and it messes him up. People are like that.

ROR is frustrated, heart and sole no bs kinda guy. Probably as hard on himself as others. Needs to lighten up, but hard to do when losing. If he and Jack want to lead this team then they need to do some off season workout team stuff in Buffalo this summer and have some fun doing it while working on ice chemistry scenarios too. PS bring the goat ties along, they need the work and some personal coaches.

Edited by North Buffalo

Thanks.

You have a player who is talking like he wants out and might even have predicted his trade depending on how you interpret his comment from a few weeks ago (Hammy stood by that interpretation). The Sabres certainly need to shake things up. It puts Botterill in a position of weakness. If you don't think how the Kane trade played out doesn't enter into other GMs' thinking, I don't know what to tell you.

I can't think of many factors in the team's slow start more significant that O'Reilly being terrible. He needed to put up and let his play do the talking. The woe is me and "I don't even recognize myself on the ice anymore" isn't a hatred of losing, it's a self-loathing. I don't want that anywhere near Mittelstadt and Nylander et al.

Here's why I think it was a lame comment. ROR, even if he wants out, can't just walk away. Duchene wanted out for a year and didn't get traded. ROR also has more value than Kane because of his contract. A team is getting a #2 center for years at a good price. Third, what is a gm going to do? Low ball Botterill and Botterill will just tuck his tale and trade? If that were the case the deal would have happened at the deadline. You're projecting. You think he up the Kane trade so now he'll every other trade up going forward. It's just weak.

This is why I need guys like Ullmark here. We need dudes with his mindset to calm the locker room. O'Reilly is a good player, but I think he's one of those people who is super sensitive to the mood in the room and it messes him up. People are like that.

Jack used to be like that but you can tell the fun is being taken out of the game for him. I'm not sure who else we could get that's just a fun, positive, upbeat guy in there (from around the league that is). Thornton seems like that guy to me

Here's why I think it was a lame comment. ROR, even if he wants out, can't just walk away. Duchene wanted out for a year and didn't get traded. ROR also has more value than Kane because of his contract. A team is getting a #2 center for years at a good price. Third, what is a gm going to do? Low ball Botterill and Botterill will just tuck his tale and trade? If that were the case the deal would have happened at the deadline. You're projecting. You think he ###### up the Kane trade so now he'll ###### every other trade up going forward. It's just weak.

Not that I need to tell you this but JBot got market value for Kane. Almost every other big name player moved at the deadline had term, which means more value. It shouldn't take a dill weed like me to point it out to the masses.

O'Reilly (& Reinhart) need to be good hockey players out of the gate this coming season.

Not sure why O'Reilly was bad out of the gate, don't really care truthfully, as long as he's solid this time.

Am ok w/ him keeping an 'A' but would never give him the 'C' due to the way he beats himself up when things go bad. It's good that he takes responsibility for his own failings, but taking the full weight of the failure of others isn't what mortal leaders do. Give Eichel the 'C' 'cause it is his team. Give an 'A' to one of the D if one is worthy of it - my preference is Scandella but if not him then Ristolainen. That Pominville got the 2nd 'A' when Okposo was out with the concussion speaks volumes about this team. It says the leadership of the team didn't see a single leader other than broken Bogosian in the entire unit.

If 20 year old Eichel, concussed Okposo, broken Bogosian, self loathing O'Reilly, & ancient Pominville are the only leaders on the team; then Houston, we have a problem.

I doubt the return for ROR is equal to his actual on ice value, but I’m cynical that we’ll ever see another real hockey trade again. And this team doesn’t have enough talent to afford to downgrade O’Reilly or anyone else.

He’s right and we are killing the messenger, but he also might need to go. I’ll be disappointed. He’s a helluva player and the consequences of this organization accepting losing for an undefined period of time have ruined him for Buffalo.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.