Ryan O'Reilly: "Stuck with the mindset of losing"

LGR4GM

It’s pretty interesting (to me anyway) that the guy universally scorned around the league (Evander Kane) as a low character guy never let the losing affect him and he played at a high level every game yet was just about pushed out of here by the fans, and now the guy universally praised around the league (ROR) as a high character guy that ultimately did let the losing affect him (and still had a good year) is being pushed out of here by the fans.

We aren’t going to win if we keep moving talented players off this team. I mean, that’s how this whole started.

It’s pretty interesting (to me anyway) that the guy universally scorned around the league (Evander Kane) as a low character guy never let the losing affect him and he played at a high level every game yet was just about pushed out of here by the fans, and now the guy universally praised around the league (ROR) as a high character guy that ultimately did let the losing affect him (and still had a good year) is being pushed out of here by the fans.

We aren’t going to win ###### if we keep moving talented players off this team. I mean, that’s how this whole ###### started.

Right, but the fans don’t actually trade the players.

Also, Sabres fans largely supported Kane. Twitter was 90/10 for trying to sign him rather than trade, until it got till the deadline and it was a formality. Even around here he had his share of backers, me among them.

O’Reilly is certainly an interesting case.

Right, but the fans don’t actually trade the players.

Also, Sabres fans largely supported Kane. Twitter was 90/10 for trying to sign him rather than trade, until it got till the deadline and it was a formality. Even around here he had his share of backers, me among them.

O’Reilly is certainly an interesting case.

I loved Evander Kane

We aren’t going to win ###### if we keep moving talented players off this team. I mean, that’s how this whole ###### started.

Kane wasn't pushed out of here by the fans; he was pushed out by his impending UFA status and the fact that the Sabres didn't think they could re-sign him for a contract he'd agree to. Botterill isn't responding to what the fans on message boards are saying.

As for ROR, if he's traded, it'll be a hockey trade. And it'll happen if Botterill decides we need a big trade or two to shake things up. Should we be demanding he holds onto something that isn't working?

I don’t see how you can say ROR isn’t working though. Even in a trying year for him, he’s been effective and put up numbers.

And the idea is to collect more talent, not shuffle it around.

He started putting up numbers in January, when the season was effectively over. Are we supposed to feel awesome about it?

I want the most talent we can get but I'm also fine with giving something up to get something. The dream is to give up junk for star players but I'm not counting on that (unless someone rehires ZFG). I hope we're considering big trades. I'm ready to shake things up.

No one pushed for Kane to be moved because of his attitude or cause they wanted him moved, they pushed for it because it was widely believed the Sabres would be re-signing him and since he was becoming a UFA and the season was over in October, they pushed for him to be moved cause they thought he would get a nice return for an expiring contract.

As for O'Reilly, He was being honest (which is usually what people want until they actually say something honest) and really who could blame him? The culture around this team is widely known as being one that accepts losing (a few players have said that the culture needs to change and no longer accept losing). New coach and GM come in and they get worse, with few moves made to try and improve the team all year, instead hearing how they just have to wait for players to develop and come up from the minors, or win the draft lottery, always hearing about next year or the year after. Players know their time in the league is limited and constantly playing for nothing can take its toll on you. He put up good numbers, some great for this team, but it meant nothing because they weren't a good team. He may need a change of scenery like Kessel and get out of a place like Buffalo where we can all watch him succeed and win in a culture that wins.

Except unlike the Leafs, the Sabres prospect pool isn't as deep with higher end talent, and doesn't have an elite superstar player and one of the best Headcoach and front office guys coming over to run things.

It's a Tuesday evening, I send my wife and kids to the in-laws for dinner and a fore up the sabres game. 10 minutes in it's 2-0 and I can tell what kind of game it's going to be. Flip the channel and find something better to do with my time. Happen to you this year? O'Reilly flipped the channel. That's all he's saying. Frustration got the best of him, as it did every so for sabres fan this season as in seasons past.

It's a sad reality that I am even taking the time to talk about this. We just suck so bad with so little to talk about or focus on.

What I seen in the interview, was a player taking accountability. Sure it sounds like a woe is me when we hear it for the x time because all we do is lose. Anyone stop to think he's trying to lead by example, setting the path for others to take accountability. At least when prolly sucks it's not for lack of trying. He doesn't want a trade, he wants to not lose a game in the first period because everyone gave up and nobody believes. He's addressing the issue and you're all too BECAUSE BUFFALO to see it. Talk about needing optimism.

I very much appreciated the honesty in his statement. O'Reilly has been a good soldier. Really hoping some infusion of youth, and veteran signings this off-season can restore some optimism and love of the game to this club. Those things combined with stronger work ethic and conditioning could be enough to finally turn our fortunes.

It's a Tuesday evening, I send my wife and kids to the in-laws for dinner and a fore up the sabres game. 10 minutes in it's 2-0 and I can tell what kind of game it's going to be. Flip the channel and find something better to do with my time. Happen to you this year? O'Reilly flipped the channel. That's all he's saying. Frustration got the best of him, as it did every so for sabres fan this season as in seasons past.

It's a sad reality that I am even taking the time to talk about this. We just suck so bad with so little to talk about or focus on.

What I seen in the interview, was a player taking accountability. Sure it sounds like a woe is me when we hear it for the x time because all we do is lose. Anyone stop to think he's trying to lead by example, setting the path for others to take accountability. At least when prolly sucks it's not for lack of trying. He doesn't want a trade, he wants to not lose a game in the first period because everyone gave up and nobody believes. He's addressing the issue and you're all too BECAUSE BUFFALO to see it. Talk about needing optimism.

I very much appreciated the honesty in his statement. O'Reilly has been a good soldier. Really hoping some infusion of youth, and veteran signings this off-season can restore some optimism and love of the game to this club. Those things combined with stronger work ethic and conditioning could be enough to finally turn our fortunes.

Sabrespace needs some of this too.

He started putting up numbers in January, when the season was effectively over. Are we supposed to feel awesome about it?

I want the most talent we can get but I'm also fine with giving something up to get something. The dream is to give up junk for star players but I'm not counting on that (unless someone rehires ZFG). I hope we're considering big trades. I'm ready to shake things up.

The eye test sure looked like ROR was struggling at the beginning, especially defensively. The numbers say he put  up 15 points in his first 20 games. The next 20 saw a decline to 10 points.

He likely iS trying to lead by self-flagellation, but nobody on this or any other pro sports team is going to follow the leader down that path successfully. While it worked well for the Son of God, it is extremely rare for it to be an effective leadership method for mere mortals. ;)

He likely iS trying to lead by self-flagellation, but nobody on this or any other pro sports team is going to follow the leader down that path successfully. While it worked well for the Son of God, it is extremely rare for it to be an effective leadership method for mere mortals. ;)

Well put. 

Wait, how is this a "Because Buffalo" thing?  If anything, it's the opposite.  The argument is literally that the player is too mopey and dour to actually lead this team, or even to improve himself really.  

Taro put it nicely - you can't lead by self-flagellation.  No one is going to give you kudos for being the most sad when you keep losing.

+1

Hmmm, ROR as the suffering savior. Too bad Jo has a day job now. I'd ask her to paint something. OTOH, although agnostic, I'm not necessarily a fan of burning in Hell.

In RORs case it may be ETOH.... withdrawls... look out Tim Hortons... Edited by North Buffalo

Neo?

From Fan Rag

Montreal would love ROR.

Cannot see Botterill Trading him in the Division, besides

what do they have Offer?

The Buffalo Sabres are going to be making changes this offseason, and it could be argued that Ryan O’Reilly’s hand shot up to volunteer to be one of those players on his way out the door with his end-of-season comments.

Hockey analyst Ray Ferraro brought up the center during a Thursday afternoon segment on Montreal’s TSN 690.

This portion of the discussion had focused on how the Canadiens – a team desperate for help down the middle – could potentially find a pivot elsewhere who was “boxed in” to a lower role on his own team, but could perhaps elevate his game elsewhere in a slightly elevated position.

It was at this point that Ferraro introduced one possibility.

“One player I would look at right now – given his comments, I would assume he would be on the trade block – is Ryan O’Reilly,” said Ferraro. “He made some comments in the year-end in Buffalo…

“He is a really good player. He’s a better centerman than Montreal has. He’s not necessarily a No. 1, he’s probably a No. 2. He takes over 2000 faceoffs. He gets 50 points. He’s a penalty killer. He’s a power play guy.

“I would explore Ryan O’Reilly. So he would play in a role that you might think he might be able to produce a little bit more offense.

“That’s an example of a player just off the top of my head that I would look at.”

Friday morning, colleague Bob McKenzie was played a portion of Ferraro’s thoughts during his own segment on TSN 690 and was asked to weigh in on O’Reilly.

“Quite aside from his comments, he was one of the guys that I think they were thinking of trading anyways,” indicated McKenzie. “And listen, they know Ryan O’Reilly is a good centerman in the National Hockey League. He’s one of the best faceoff men. It’s remarkable that he plays a shutdown role and got two minutes in penalties over the course of the year. He may well win the Lady Byng Trophy this year, or is certainly one of the top candidates.

“But Jason Botterill is real angry about the way the year went in Buffalo. And they do have an unbelievable culture of losing in Buffalo and O’Reilly has been a part of that. And he addressed that and said that yes, being a part of that culture – losing – that at times – to paraphrase him – he probably played like a loser at times, even though a lot of the games he played he played quite well and still played hard and what have you.

“But they are looking at making change. And in order to facilitate that change, I mean you can’t just take guys that are no good or deep into your lineup and say, ‘We’re going to move those guys and that’s going to change the culture.’

“So I think they’re looking at their options as it regards to a guy like Ryan O’Reilly. They’re obviously not going to give him away, and the rationale for trading him would be to A) shake things up, but not for a bag of magic beans just to say you made a move or that you moved a guy out.

“And again, I don’t know how eager – I understand what Ray is saying, and in a vacuum I agree 100 percent. I mean, Ryan O’Reilly would be an absolute godsend to the Montreal Canadiens because of the various things he does and the fact he’s a natural center. The fact that, if I remember correctly, played in the World Cup. He can be an elite shutdown guy who has also got some offensive ability and is one of the better faceoff men in the game.

“But how eager would a team like Buffalo be to trade him within the division. You may want a culture change, you may want to shake things up. And in order to trade Ryan O’Reilly with the contract he’s got, I don’t think there’s any question Buffalo is going to have to take some money back.

“So I don’t know how easy it would be to facilitate a trade for Ryan O’Reilly. Maybe somebody else will be part of the culture change in Buffalo. Maybe O’Reilly stays. But I certainly think even before the comments he made – which were very honest but maybe a little damning, or a lot – that he was a possible guy that could be going out the door if they find the right deal.”

O’Reilly is wrapping up the second season of his seven-year, $52.5 million contract, which carries a $7.5 million cap hit.

He does not have any trade protection written into that pact.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.