Ryan O'Reilly: "Stuck with the mindset of losing"

LGR4GM

Calgary and St. Louis stand out to me as potential destinations.

And before We’ve loses it even more, I don’t want to trade O’Reilly, I just think Botterill will try to trade a core player and he is the one likeliest to get a premium return.

Whatever trade Botterill makes will be a hockey trade, not a futures trade.

Edited by dudacek

This board makes me laugh some times. Dude is the 2nd leading scorer on the team, takes all the tough defensive assignments, just won more faceoffs in a season than anyone in history, and we don't like his attitude so let's trade his ass out of town? He was on Team Canada at the World Cup for crying out loud! This isn't Zemgus on Team Latvia. Folks, the team is short on talent, let's keep one of our few legitimately great players in his prime, please. 

Some winning cures all this nonsense.

A lot of truth in here. He’s a good player I think this team would dearly miss on ice.

It was down, but his overall point production was up by 6 points from the season prior, and his role in the Sam-ROR partnership did appear to be more playmaker than trying to get into shooting position.

Somewhat unexpectedly, Sam’s NHL game is developing into an even split between goal-scoring and set-up man, where he leaned more playmaker in junior and was initially expected to project that way in the NHL.

We’ve (?) with the Patrick Sharp projection seems a sharp projection.

Maybe most people don't see it the same, but I think JBot planned all this. He's smarter than Murray, but this was a tank year, they just disguised it well cause they knew there is no way they could sell the idea to this fan base again. I have to believe this to have hope for the future. Housley was chosen to coach Dahlin. 

It's possible Eichel was in on it too. He will be named captain. There is no other choice, he has the contract and this is his team going forward. Top 10 scorer next year if healthy, mark my words.

ROR wants out, and they will move him. HE IS A LOSER. His attitude may very well be contagious. Talented, but a loser all the same. 

Not even sure Lehner was hurt at the end but he will be gone too.

I firmly believe this team will be all youth and speed next year and we will look very much like the Leafs did last year. Well on our way to a turnaround.

Unless we lose the lottery yet again............ 

Maybe most people don't see it the same, but I think JBot planned all this. He's smarter than Murray, but this was a tank year, they just disguised it well cause they knew there is no way they could sell the idea to this fan base again. I have to believe this to have hope for the future. Housley was chosen to coach Dahlin. 

It's possible Eichel was in on it too. He will be named captain. There is no other choice, he has the contract and this is his team going forward. Top 10 scorer next year if healthy, mark my words.

ROR wants out, and they will move him. HE IS A LOSER. His attitude may very well be contagious. Talented, but a loser all the same. 

I firmly believe this team will be all youth and speed next year and we will look very much like the Leafs did last year. Well on our way to a turnaround.

I hope too that is the case that we go for youth and speed, if we get dahlin great and even without him hopefully botts and housley will still be able to implement this.

Calgary and St. Louis stand out to me as potential destinations.

And before We’ve loses it even more, I don’t want to trade O’Reilly, I just think Botterill will try to trade a core player and he is the one likeliest to get a premium return.

Whatever trade Botterill makes will be a hockey trade, not a futures trade.

LOL I’ve got to have it to lose it.

I’m not terribly attached to anyone on this team. I just want to see the best roster on the ice. We’ve been moving players for futures for like 6-7 yrs now. It’s past time to expect to win now.

Edited by We've

I'm not on the let's trade O'Reilly at all costs wagon. I think he's been great for Sam. Ever since they've been paired together Sam as been a legitimate force. O'Reilly is excellent with hand eye coordination and pickpocketing in the corners. Theses are two traits Sam seems to have developed nicely. If I'm trade ROR it better be for a top pairing Dman. Otherwise, let's bring in some legitimate wingers.

I'm not on the let's trade O'Reilly at all costs wagon. I think he's been great for Sam. Ever since they've been paired together Sam as been a legitimate force. O'Reilly is excellent with hand eye coordination and pickpocketing in the corners. Theses are two traits Sam seems to have developed nicely. If I'm trade ROR it better be for a top pairing Dman. Otherwise, let's bring in some legitimate wingers.

This is a good summary of how I feel too. We need to keep ROR unless some crazy trade comes our way. He makes this team better. I think as the year went on Reinhart really started to add to ROR as much as ROR added to Reinhart and that is good. I'm willing to give ROR the summer to take a deep breath and get ready to go. 

It's hard for me to believe that we're a better team without O'Reilly in '18-'19. There's no way we get equivalent production from a realistic trade. 

It's also hard to believe that one players negativity could infect the room to the point that the team is dragged into 31st place.... with 19 optimistic, hard working teammates.

I like ROR as a player, and hope to see him continue in that role. It may be hard for him to accept that he's not a leader, but "just" an outstanding individual contributor. 

Fwiw - I am firmly ambivalent about whether ROR can be part of the solution. He’s a very good NHLer with an uncommon skill set.

It just seems like there could be something rotten in the state of Denmark.

I’m good with him sticking around as well. I guess?

My persisting concern had been whether the up tempo NHL had passed him by. His production notwithstanding: Has it?

Maybe he’ll cut weight like so many others did this past summer and be faster/quicker next season.

Edited by That Aud Smell

This is absolute banana land

Same. If we pick top 2 in this draft we're in really good shape. We're either going to take care of a massive hole on the blue line, or a massive hole on wing

After watching the video, a have no problem with what O’Reilly said.

He recognized issues in his own play and took accountability for fixing it.

I just hope he doesn’t fix it by working harder at doing the same things.

Definition of stupidity and all that.

Edited by dudacek

Think of moving ROR like Toronto moving Kessel and/or Phaneuf. Gotta be done and then its all youth and speed and upward trajectory after that. We will get a good return.

Toronto tried to build a team around two terrible contracts and complimentary players. That would be like if we gave Riso and Kane 8x8 deals. RoR is nothing like that situation

Partly yes.

He's talented, no question, but don't think he is a good fit and don't want to build around him.

Kessel is consistently scoring and producing in two Cup runs for the Penguins, and should have won the Conn Smyth one of those years Edited by Jokertecken

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.