Ryan O'Reilly: "Stuck with the mindset of losing"

LGR4GM

It isn't about just being positive. It's about leading. We suck, here's how we're going to fix it as players.

That is a conversation for October, November...  

The season is over.   They're the worst team in the league, there's nothing they can do to change that. 

He's simply reflecting on the season, which was the question he was asked.    

Part of leading is being honest, don't sugar coat things or just recite cliches for a sound bite.    

I appreciate his honesty.    He's not the reason this team sucked.     They need more guys like him who hate to lose as much as he does.      

It’s interesting that the proper mindset appears to be what Eichel is gravitating towards after the immature spazz that marked the end of last year.

O’Reilly’s voice isn’t working. O’Reilly’s voice hasn’t changed.

Coach and GM says the players have to change.

I think O’Reilly is a helluva player on the ice, but it’s getting harder not to connect the dots.

Yerp

That is a conversation for October, November...  

The season is over.   They're the worst team in the league, there's nothing they can do to change that. 

He's simply reflecting on the season, which was the question he was asked.    

Part of leading is being honest, don't sugar coat things or just recite cliches for a sound bite.    

I appreciate his honesty.    He's not the reason this team sucked.     They need more guys like him who hate to lose as much as he does.

In the 2nd 1/2 of the season, this is true. In October, when it mattered, he was a huge part of their poor play.

This board makes me laugh some times. Dude is the 2nd leading scorer on the team, takes all the tough defensive assignments, just won more faceoffs in a season than anyone in history, and we don't like his attitude so let's trade his ass out of town? He was on Team Canada at the World Cup for crying out loud! This isn't Zemgus on Team Latvia. Folks, the team is short on talent, let's keep one of our few legitimately great players in his prime, please. 

Some winning cures all this nonsense. 

I've never had anyone talented, or hardworking, that I haven't like working with.

And there is kind of the point.  That talented, hard working person maybe a complete POS in a lot of ways, but, you want success, you figure out a way to get the maximum benefit out of being in a team with those people. 

And there is kind of the point. That talented, hard working person maybe a complete POS in a lot of ways, but, you want success, you figure out a way to get the maximum benefit out of being in a team with those people.

True. I also don't live, travel, and see them for 10 hours a day for 7 months a year though.

Also, that Jack-ROR thing is a myth because the camera missed whether or not they fist-bumped, and kept going even though they routinely fist bumped after and talked glowingly about each other in off-ice interviews.

I don't think there's a rift. I think we need ROR and I did like his honesty. He needs to get his head straight.

Unless him and Eichel don't get along.

Every day millions of people work successfully w/ people they don't like. Unless they are actively sabotaging each other, and there is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON TO BELIEVE THEY ARE, they get to suck it up and work w/ each other as teammates.

Heck, the top PP improved tremendously when O'Reilly got moved to the high slot. If Eichel & O'Reilly can't play nice w/ each other, that doesn't happen. The puck gets moved between those 2 a lot more than the earlier arrangement w/ both on opposite boards.

Teams who could be interested in ROR and the key returning piece if Sabres were to make a trade...I did not include any division foes like Montreal or Ottawa

Arizona- Christian Dvorak

NY Rangers- Kevin Hayes

Vancouver- Bo Horvat

NJ Devils- Miles Wood

SJ Sharks- Tomas Hertl

ST Louis- Jaden Schwartz

My fear of keeping him.

Already 27 years old, plummeting 5 on 5 goal production, 5 years left at substantial dollars, and then today's interview.

Sometimes leading is keeping the truth to yourself. If I'm signing checks or trying to build this team, I'm not sure I can rely on this guy for the next five years. You can't cut or stow him in the minors. And since he is likely our most marketable asset, if bots wants to overhaul the lineup that's perhaps the most logical starting point.

As for jbot, he's preached organizational competitiveness and creating a winning culture through the minors to the big club. I wonder if comments like that are a line in the sand for him.

My fear of keeping him.

Already 27 years old, plummeting 5 on 5 goal production, 5 years left at substantial dollars, and then today's interview.

Sometimes leading is keeping the truth to yourself. If I'm signing checks or trying to build this team, I'm not sure I can rely on this guy for the next five years. You can't cut or stow him in the minors. And since he is likely our most marketable asset, if bots wants to overhaul the lineup that's perhaps the most logical starting point.

As for jbot, he's preached organizational competitiveness and creating a winning culture through the minors to the big club. I wonder if comments like that are a line in the sand for him.

Is this a real thing?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.