Oh Samson My Samson!

Samson's Flow

Well, I would dearly like for Reino to turn into a consistent high-end player.  I also think his play for the past couple of months has been the best I've seen from him, and will be very happy with him if that is his level of play going forward.

I just think it would be ill-advised, given the inconsistency in his game to date, plus reasonable cause to doubt his maturity, to give him a fat long-term contract this summer.  I also think it would probably be better for his long-term development for him to get a short-term deal now -- so he knows he has to work hard and stay consistent for the next 1-2 seasons in order to cash in -- and hopefully at that point the good habits will have taken permanent hold.

And GA -- you weren't here when Derek Roy was in my doghouse.

Agreed on Sam.

Well, I would dearly like for Reino to turn into a consistent high-end player.  I also think his play for the past couple of months has been the best I've seen from him, and will be very happy with him if that is his level of play going forward.

I just think it would be ill-advised, given the inconsistency in his game to date, plus reasonable cause to doubt his maturity, to give him a fat long-term contract this summer.  I also think it would probably be better for his long-term development for him to get a short-term deal now -- so he knows he has to work hard and stay consistent for the next 1-2 seasons in order to cash in -- and hopefully at that point the good habits will have taken permanent hold.

And GA -- you weren't here when Derek Roy was in my doghouse.

I'm also going to agree with the bolded. Giving him a long-term contract now takes the carrot away and he can easily grow complacent. Tyler Myers is a shining example of this, not to mention the immense pressure these players are put under to perform when they're given such large contracts at a young age.

Give Sam a reasonable bridge deal for both sides and then if he grows into a player whose worth big money then pay the man!

What's the definition of insanity again? Trade him while his value is high. O'Reilly, Risto, even Jack. Where have they gotten us? Jack? I know, I know. But if the return were three or four good pieces in an old-fashioned hockey trade, it might be a wise move. The tank/rebuild got us him and little else. Are we destined to watch him play 11 years in Buffalo without sniffing the playoffs? Is he our Barry Sanders? We need more good players.

What's the definition of insanity again? Trade him while his value is high. O'Reilly, Risto, even Jack. Where have they gotten us? Jack? I know, I know. But if the return were three or four good pieces in an old-fashioned hockey trade, it might be a wise move. The tank/rebuild got us him and little else. Are we destined to watch him play 11 years in Buffalo without sniffing the playoffs? Is he our Barry Sanders? We need more good players.

xtehs.jpg

I’m going to start a thread in this.

Samson Comes Alive.  A 3 pt day.  Samson now has 19g and 23a for 42pts -10 in 71 games 

SInce the calendar changed to Jan.  He has 14g 17a for 31 pts +0 in 33 games

He now has 3 40 pts + seasons in his first 3 years.  This isn't a fluke anymore.  It's pretty clear that he has figured it out.

Samson Comes Alive.  A 3 pt day.  Samson now has 19g and 23a for 42pts -10 in 71 games 

SInce the calendar changed to Jan.  He has 14g 17a for 31 pts +0 in 33 games

He now has 3 40 pts + seasons in his first 3 years.  This isn't a fluke anymore.  It's pretty clear that he has figured it out.

I said this in gdt, only 3 players from his draft year outscore him.   Draisatl , Pastrnak and Ehlers.

I can see him getting 3x5 or 8x6 easy.

so Eichel comes back and Reinhart has 0 points and is a -4 in his last two games...  just sayin

Well if your going down that line of thinking, the overall scoring for the whole team is off since Jack got back.

Is it me or does it appear we get too many passengers on the team deferring, waiting and watching him play.

Maybe we do not have enough skilled players that can anticipate what he is doing or keep up. I dunno but I don't like it if its becoming a pattern.

Well if your going down that line of thinking, the overall scoring for the whole team is off since Jack got back.

Is it me or does it appear we get too many passengers on the team deferring, waiting and watching him play.

Maybe we do not have enough skilled players that can anticipate what he is doing or keep up. I dunno but I don't like it if its becoming a pattern.

When he's in the lineup the team plays with much less desperation.    

Also team passes less Jack needs to hold on to the puck less, Sabres were doing a lot of standing around especialyy on PP. That being said Jack’s accuracy is off and may take a little bit before it comes back. Sam and ROR line looked decent but Sam needs to work on shot, he appears to be shooting more. Really that Eichel line got too much time on the ice. Pommer and Pulliott= Poo not Pu... The young trio caused havoc but needed to be followed up with another one that sustained their energy level. Not enough guys to do that.

Yes that's how it appears but that is back a$$wards to me and I don't understand why they would do that. 

Also team passes less Jack needs to hold on to the puck less, Sabres were doing a lot of standing around especialyy on PP. That being said Jack’s accuracy is off and may take a little bit before it comes back. Sam and ROR line looked decent but Sam needs to work on shot, he appears to be shooting more. Really that Eichel line got too much time on the ice. Pommer and Pulliott= Poo not Pu... The young trio caused havoc but needed to be followed up with another one that sustained their energy level. Not enough guys to do that.

Yes are they are expecting him to do it all ? I have to wonder, is that something Phil is preaching or these players just doing that ? 

There never was a successful one person team and there never will be. They need to figure this out and the coaches should be helping them do that.  

• 2 weeks later...

This seems to be who Reinhart is, which is a complimentary player rather than a difference maker, he disappeared when games were on the line, like he did the year before. I wouldn't go over paying for him because he's scoring goals with nothing on the line. Just my opinion, I'm still hoping he's dealt at the Draft for a solid D-Man while we pickup Svechnikov.

This seems to be who Reinhart is, which is a complimentary player rather than a difference maker, he disappeared when games were on the line, like he did the year before. I wouldn't go over paying for him because he's scoring goals with nothing on the line. Just my opinion, I'm still hoping he's dealt at the Draft for a solid D-Man while we pickup Svechnikov.

Keep Sam, draft Svechnikov, and then hope Nylander pans out so we can roll out a top 6 as good or better than any in the league consisting of:

Svechnikov - Eichel - Nylander

O’Reilly - Mittelstadt - Reinhart

Yet when he 'dissapeared' , the kid had the best offensive possesion stats on this team centering his own line.     

Keep Sam, draft Svechnikov, and then hope Nylander pans out so we can roll out a top 6 as good or better than any in the league consisting of:

Svechnikov - Eichel - Nylander

O’Reilly - Mittelstadt - Reinhart

I'd give Casey someone with more speed. In this scenario let's say Nylander works out. I'm very skeptical of this as he looks like a guy with a good shot just floating around out there.

Cj Smith - Eichel - Reinhart

Zadina - Mittelstadt - Nylander

Olofsson - ROR - Okposo

Zemgus - Eros - Baptiste

The issue is that left side. I'm putting in 3 new lw and that's unlikely to all pan out.

Zadina - Eichel - Okposo

???? - ROR - Reinhart

???? - Mittelstadt - Nylander

Erod - ???? - Baptiste

Edited by Skurk Liger

funny Sam is up to 23 goals in what has been a not-so-good year for him. It is become clear that Sam is far and away better then many give him credit for. I have no doubt we'll try to move ROR this summer and Sam will then become an even more important part of this team moving foirward

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.