Oh Samson My Samson!

Samson's Flow

funny Sam is up to 23 goals in what has been a not-so-good year for him. It is become clear that Sam is far and away better then many give him credit for. I have no doubt we'll try to move ROR this summer and Sam will then become an even more important part of this team moving foirward

What he isn't getting credit for is consistency of effort, not talent.

He has 34 points in his past 34 games.

That’s top-20 NHL production, tied with Ovechkin and Stamkos during that span, 3 back of Crosby and Kucherov.

When does it stop becoming a hot streak?

How many points per game do you need to be considered someone who creates?

He went three games without scoring and people started saying “a-ha!”

Still has five in his last five, nine in his last nine, 11 in his last 11...

I have no idea why he was so bad in the first half of this year.

In the back half of his third NHL season he has emerged as the 60-plus point offensive forward he was drafted to be.

Appreciate it for what it is and hope three years from now we will be able to say similar things about Casey and Alex and Brendan.

I certainly take no pleasure from being a Reino skeptic.  And he is very creative and a pleasure to watch when he's dialed in. 

But we shouldn't pretend that his career hasn't been marked by lengthy ineffective stretches -- including a nice little 6-gamer right before the Nashville game.  Or that his good play this year didn't come until well after the team suckitude/no playoffs horse had left the barn.

It would be much easier to enjoy his overall greatly improved play since New Year's IF the Sabres didn't have a big decision to make on his contract staring them in the face.  Can anyone say that he or she is totally confident we won't see another Stafford situation?

Context, please?

He scored two points in the six games before Nashville (and 5 in the 7, but hey, I draw the lines where they best fit my argument too)

That kind of production is a hot streak for the likes Nolan and Larsson, and a rough patch for Malkin and McDavid.

For the guys in between - all of them - they happen all the time. Eichel got three points in the same six games.

If by Stafford situation you mean that if he gets a big contract, he may never return to the heights shown this year?

Then I have no worries about that at all. Stafford got that contract at 25, not 22. And Reinhart is a much better player.

His comparables are Bo Horvat, Jonathan Drouin, and Alex Wennberg - six years at $4.9 to $5.5

He’s scored between 40 and 50 points every year in the league. Pretty safe bet to assume he will continue to at least put up those numbers, and a reasonable bet that he will produce more in his prime years, no?

Forty point scorers get $4 million. Forty point scorers at 22 who seem to be trending upward get more.

If I’m Reinhart, I’d bet on myself, take a one-year deal and shoot for a seven-year $50 million contract next year when I crack 60 points.

Two questions for you:

Can’t you chalk up Reinhart’s performance thus far to the typical growth of a young player reaching maturity?

How many top 10 picks have been more consistent than Reinhart over their first three seasons?

Edited by dudacek

Two questions for you:

Can’t you chalk up Reinhart’s performance thus far to the typical growth of a young player reaching maturity?

How many top 10 picks have been more consistent than Reinhart over their first three seasons?

He has points in 21 of his last 34 games, and 34 pts

Jack has points in 19 of his last 34 games and 39 pts.

What more do people want?

Production like that when the season still hangs in the balance.

For Eichel's part, sure he's had some down stretches like almost any other player, but he's been pretty consistent this year (have to be to put up 62 in 63) and did get off to a quick start.

Reinhart, I'd definitely like to see this type of output early on next year. But at this point I'm pretty sold this is the Sam we are going to see, as it's not like this level of play doesn't sync up with his draft pedigree.

Granted, it was fairly surprising to see the 180 in season after his terrible start to the year, but he has been sustaining this now for a while, and I find myself in agreement with dudacek's position on him.

I don't think he'll be a point-a-game player for the full season next year, but that we can't rule it out is saying something.

For Eichel's part, sure he's had some down stretches like almost any other player, but he's been pretty consistent this year (have to be to put up 62 in 63) and did get off to a quick start.

Reinhart, I'd definitely like to see this type of output early on next year. But at this point I'm pretty sold this is the Sam we are going to see, as it's not like this level of play doesn't sync up with his draft pedigree.

Granted, it was fairly surprising to see the 180 in season after his terrible start to the year, but he has been sustaining this now for a while, and I find myself in agreement with dudacek's position on him.

I don't think he'll be a point-a-game player for the full season next year, but that we can't rule it out is saying something.

Not for those of us who weren't willing to forget his first 164 games based on 35 this year :nana:

Sorry, I was so wrong about what the team would look like this season, I have to snark where I can :D

Not for those of us who weren't willing to forget his first 164 games based on 35 this year :nana:

Sorry, I was so wrong about what the team would look like this season, I have to snark where I can :D

You weren't surprised when he went from producing almost nothing to point-a-game for nearly a half season long stretch? That's a very uncommon swing mid season. I can't see anyone not being surprised at THAT drastic a turnaround so quickly.

Full marks for the prediction he would return to previously established production rates though, certainly. I never gave up hope, but certainly was developing serious doubts.

He didn't go from mediocre back to his previous level. He went from a terrible start to an upper echelon point producer for half a season. That's pretty nuts.

Full marks to Sam.

Sam's problems in the first half were part Sam's but also a reflection on the new coaching staff, the terrible PP and his use as the 3rd center.

The coaches and players worked out the PP issues, Sam is back as the 2nd line RW and they have had an entire year in the system.

Sam also grew up. Housley reached Jack and obviously reached Sam. Both give better efforts in the second half. Not surprisingly Sam has blossomed.

Now we'll find out if he can handle the big $ contract. I suspect he'll be fine.

• 3 years later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.