Kane traded to San Jose for a Cond. ‘19 1st, Dan O’ Regan and Conditional 4th

Brawndo

Well then you do something creative if you're a good GM, eat some cap for them, make it a multi player or multi team deal. You do SOMETHING.

There is nothing here on deadline day to give anyone even a glimmer of hope that this team will be in any way better next year after this deadline. Anything to build on. Anything. 

Once again though, it takes two to tango. I doubt he's a robot that only said "yes" or "no" and didn't engage in any dialogue or back and forth whatsoever, and I don't see, once again, how you can assume that he didn't try to do this, and then proceed to be bummed out by it. 

If you were looking to the trade deadline day as your sign of hope for the future, when all we had to sell was a streaky guy that needs to play on 3rd lines and gets into trouble a lot, you were looking in the wrong place my friend. 

Stupid anecdote from my personal life:

I totaled my car in December that had 168k on it. I would have never sold that car for under 10k. Geico offered $5400 and told me I could ask for more if I could justify it. Seems as though not a single sale or online valuation tool backed up my personal value on it. I settled for $5400 because that was the offer I had and it was time to move on.

Maybe you should have done your homework on insurance companies before you gave them your business.   :nana:

Look at who all fetched 1sts, clearly this has nothing to do with Botterhill, and more to do with Kane. GMS clearly don't want this guy in their dressing rooms. Teams would rather pay a higher price, for a player significantly older, with less points, to not run the risk of infecting the dressing room. That's it, that's all folks.

I'm upset we didn't get the package I wanted, but extremely pleased someone took him off our hands for something. Now to start fixing the issues

Tell me at which stage of the process the rigging happened? Was it before or after a representative from every team in the league was in the room? Because the lottery balls were not handled until then. Bortz&Co randomly assigned x amount of number combos to each team, corresponding to their given chances. They put the balls in the machine and the machine spat out 4 numbers in front of every team. So the machine must have been rigged somehow. How exactly do you rig a machine whose nature is to intentionally scramble the balls and eventually spit them out? This is a beautiful way to generate randomness. It would be incredibly hard and obvious to do.

Furthermore, tell me why NJ and Philly and Dallas won last year? You can make a story for any ###### team in the world if you want, but it is well known that Bettman desperately wants to keep Arizona in Arizona and it is well known that Edmonton and Toronto will sell out as long as they exist, and Arizona has gotten shafted time and time again, so you cannot posit that this is the scenario that helped the league out the most, and if you can, then you can make up any reason for any non-Buffalo team that will ever win. 

I guess it's easier to think that the universe hates Buffalo than to understand basic statistics and that relying on 20% chances or less for your happiness and belief in an honest process, is foolish.

And we wonder why politics threads aren't allowed here?

I swear some of you would shoot your dog the first time it crapped on the carpet all the while ignoring the fact that you fed it 6 bowls of food and didn't let it leave the house for 24 hours.

I was hoping that the Kane trade would provide the assets to spark the improvement of the Sabres. Obviously we didn't get that. Coupled with the inability to trade any other player on the team seems to show just how far away the Sabres are from competing. GMJB brought in 10 new players and we got worse. Outside of Guhle, Ullmark and maybe Middlestadt the cupboard is pretty much bare of prospects to help next season. Hope for improvement comes in the form of hoping for a lottery win and some useful scraps from free agency.  I don't see this team making the playoffs any time soon. Which comes first: playoffs, fire the coach or fire the GM.

Well it would depend on how long you took the money for. We already have bad money but if it was just for this year why not? 

No it wouldn't depend on that - that's fantasy land.  Just for this year wouldn't be taking on bad money - that would be taking on good money and we would have done that.  

Once again though, it takes two to tango. I doubt he's a robot that only said "yes" or "no" and didn't engage in any dialogue or back and forth whatsoever, and I don't see, once again, how you can assume that he didn't try to do this, and then proceed to be bummed out by it. 

If you were looking to the trade deadline day as your sign of hope for the future, when all we had to sell was a streaky guy that needs to play on 3rd lines and gets into trouble a lot, you were looking in the wrong place my friend. 

"glimmer", just a glimmer of hope. That's all. Maybe one creative deal to make me think hey, this Botterill guy is pretty smart. It wasn't a big ask. 

I was hoping that the Kane trade would provide the assets to spark the improvement of the Sabres. Obviously we didn't get that. Coupled with the inability to trade any other player on the team seems to show just how far away the Sabres are from competing. GMJB brought in 10 new players and we got worse. Outside of Guhle, Ullmark and maybe Middlestadt the cupboard is pretty much bare of prospects to help next season. Hope for improvement comes in the form of hoping for a lottery win and some useful scraps from free agency.  I don't see this team making the playoffs any time soon. Which comes first: playoffs, fire the coach or fire the GM.

This is very pessimistic but I have no way to really argue against it. 

"glimmer", just a glimmer of hope. That's all. Maybe one creative deal to make me think hey, this Botterill guy is pretty smart. It wasn't a big ask.

Then again, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. We had one sketchy asset.

Take your glimmer from getting a 3D for two players that Wild fans never want to see on their ice again.

The fact that the Sabres didn't take on bad money is something that's probably not getting enough consideration right now.

That is a legit point.

The trade that hurts is the Statsny deal. Realizing full well that the Jets were not giving up a 2026 7th rounder for Kane, but when he moved for a good package, thought Kane would bring back closer to that.

Of course, the Blues deciding to sell rather than buy may have been the straw that broke the proverbial camel's back in regards to what Kane would bring back. 2 less teams looking for a Kane-ish player. (Though obviously Winnipeg did not want Kane.)

He did that for you today - you just won't accept it.  The NHL is told you what Kane is worth but you wanted JBot to do something special for you.  You're not able to be satisfied - that's your fault.

The fact that the Sabres didn't take on bad money is something that's probably not getting enough consideration right now.

Indeed - there were better players available on waivers today.

The idea that JBOTS should have traded Kane when he was tearing it up back in December is one that has some appeal to it.

But, again. We have no way of knowing whether JBOTS was getting better deals offered to him at that time. We just don't know. Maybe there'll be some leaks about how JBOTS missed the boat? I dunno. I feel like if he'd been offered an unconditional 2018 1st and a prospect in December, Kane would've been gone.

If it is true that the ownership of the Sabre's were not interested in resigning Kane due to his off ice problems they should have traded him in the off-season when a team could have received a full years use out of Kane.  I do not understand why they would not have done this.  There were some signs that that was the case to the ordinary fan that they were not happy with him, there silence and lack of support for him being the largest sign IMO.  Being that I spend quite a bit of my hard earned money on this team for season tickets I am beyond angry.  This team needed to do something all year to kick start some life into the heart of this team and they did absolutely NOTHING.  They can kiss my BFA( Big Freaking A&$) next year.

Well then you do something creative if you're a good GM, eat some cap for them, make it a multi player or multi team deal. You do SOMETHING.

There is nothing here on deadline day to give anyone even a glimmer of hope that this team will be in any way better next year after this deadline. Anything to build on. Anything. 

This is true, but...

This is the troof.

Look at who all fetched 1sts, clearly this has nothing to do with Botterhill, and more to do with Kane. GMS clearly don't want this guy in their dressing rooms. Teams would rather pay a higher price, for a player significantly older, with less points, to not run the risk of infecting the dressing room. That's it, that's all folks.

I'm upset we didn't get the package I wanted, but extremely pleased someone took him off our hands for something. Now to start fixing the issues

This too.

I swear some of you would shoot your dog the first time it crapped on the carpet all the while ignoring the fact that you fed it 6 bowls of food and didn't let it leave the house for 24 hours.

Racist.

Botterill told the Pegulas in his interview process that Tim Murray did not do you any favors. He saw first hand how true that statement was today

The same old excuses for every GM we ever get, in either franchise. Sorry I'm not exactly pleased with a low return on our biggest bargaining chip

Take your glimmer from getting a 3D for two players that Wild fans never want to see on their ice again.

True, that was a decent deal, but remember they were in cap hell and desperate to ditch Pominville. It was a deal that gave me hope though. 

Drafting the mighty M was a surprise but also looks potentially good. 

Rebuilding Rochester is smart. 

Hiring Housley..........jury's still out on that one. 

Trade deadline though, I give him a failing grade.

Don't get me wrong, I'm far from a "fire Botterill" mindset, I was just hoping to be in a "wow this guy is so much better than Murray" mood but that didn't happen so it's wait for the off season and the next draft now I guess. Evaluate his next big move if/when he makes one.  

The Scandella trade was not only good, it was excellent.

Quoted wrong poster

It takes 2 to tango. We suck for a reason, not much to sell and you can't fire players. I'm disappointed but apparently Kane's reputation was too much for some GMs. We can thank GMTM. It's now safe to say WPG won that trade.

Everyone will be singing a happier tune when the hockey gods reward us with the #1 pick. #delusionalsabresfan

Edited by Beer