Anyone Considered Cheering For a New Team?

rickshaw

Ok, 

Been awhile since I posted but I've been thinking about this for a little bit and wondered what others here may think.

I've been a fan of the Sabres for 42 years. I've never been to Buffalo to see a game live, only seeing them play in Vancouver many times.

But with the current state of this team, actually the ongoing state of this team, I've actually "considered" jumping ship and cheering for the Vegas Knights. The reason is not because they are the Cinderella story of the season, but because my wife and I go to Vegas 3 or 4 times a year. She has a progressive neurological disorder that affects her lower extremities, so we've been doing more traveling while we know she can. I digress. We feel like Vegas is our home away from home and enjoy our time there. And with them having a team, it kinda' feels like we should cheer for them.

So how realistic is it to think one could switch teams after such a long time? Not because of their records, but because of the reasons stated? Is it really possible to think one could not care anymore about "their team" and move on to another?

What happens if years go by and the Sabres ACTUALLY win the Cup? Would it mean anything after switching allegiances? 

I know I've thought about just ripping the Sabres off like a bandaid and cheering for Vegas and live with the decision, but I don't really know if it's realistic to think it could be done emotionally.

Thoughts?

Sorry about your wife's condition.  Believe me I feel your pain.  I am there myself.

I don't think that anyone could really change the sports teams that they support to another team, although they may think they do for a time ... many support another team during  the playoffs if 'their' team is not in it anymore.  Most Bills fans are no cheering for anyone that beats the Patriots.

I agree with We've and it is more likely that they give up on the sport all together, which for many would not happen.

Ok, 

Been awhile since I posted but I've been thinking about this for a little bit and wondered what others here may think.

I've been a fan of the Sabres for 42 years. I've never been to Buffalo to see a game live, only seeing them play in Vancouver many times.

But with the current state of this team, actually the ongoing state of this team, I've actually "considered" jumping ship and cheering for the Vegas Knights. The reason is not because they are the Cinderella story of the season, but because my wife and I go to Vegas 3 or 4 times a year. She has a progressive neurological disorder that affects her lower extremities, so we've been doing more traveling while we know she can. I digress. We feel like Vegas is our home away from home and enjoy our time there. And with them having a team, it kinda' feels like we should cheer for them.

So how realistic is it to think one could switch teams after such a long time? Not because of their records, but because of the reasons stated? Is it really possible to think one could not care anymore about "their team" and move on to another?

What happens if years go by and the Sabres ACTUALLY win the Cup? Would it mean anything after switching allegiances? 

I know I've thought about just ripping the Sabres off like a bandaid and cheering for Vegas and live with the decision, but I don't really know if it's realistic to think it could be done emotionally.

Thoughts?

Sorry to read that your wife has medical issues. Wishing her & you the best.

Can see making Vegas your next favorite team but can't see them supplanting a '70 expansion team. IMHO, by the time you're an adult & on your own, your alliances are/should be set. YMMV. People that move a ton are granted a limited waiver to this. ;)

Could I ever switch from the Sabres? No, but I was born and raised in WNY, saw my first hockey game at KBC, got engaged at Harbor Center, etc...

But since moving to Columbus, I’ve definitely taken a liking to the Jackets. I own CBJ gear, I go to a few games, and I root for them in the playoffs since Buffalo sure as hell isn't there! I watch every single Sabres game each year, probably watch 25-30 CBJ games a year. If you ask me my rooting allegiance, it is 100% Buffalo. But I don’t see any problem rooting for multiple teams.

It depends what you want to get out of sports. If you want joy and entertainment, and rooting for another team will bring you more joy and entertainment, then why not!? Especially if you can catch games in person in Vegas. And if you live in the Vancouver area, VGK should play there more often as a divisional opponent.

I love sports’ ability to bring people together. If the Knights would give you and your wife something to enjoy together, what are you waiting for? :)

i have started to follow the wild. i still follow the sabres, but i watch the wild if they are playing i watch them. between the tank season and the better part of the first half of this season with the sabres looking like they dont care about the game, that was it for me. 

hockey is my favorite sport, and i was getting to the point that i didnt want to watch the games anymore once that happened i knew i needed to switch. 

i will always love the sabres, but i will not pay to see them anymore.

The wording seems to be important here. "Cheering for" vs. "switching teams." I see nothing wrong with considering the Knights your second team and cheering for them on a limited basis. Switching? You're not switching. You can't switch. And you won't. You will suffer with the rest of us, until that glorious day when our suffering ends.

I've sort of cheered for another team (more like "pulled for them") when a friend's team is in the playoffs (and the Sabres aren't). But that's the extent of my "cheating."

I appreciate the responses. I know I can’t switch because how could you not be happy if they ever won it all? Of course you would be happy.

But with the Canucks being awful too, I do find myself pulling for the Knights.

I couldn’t believe how many people had VK gear on the flight back to BC. A crazy amount.

We have a trip there in Feb and they do have a home game when we are there. Still haven’t decided if we are gonna go or not though.

But I’m still a Sabres fan even though they suck. Glad as I’ve gotten older that I don’t let sports ruin my day anymore.

One, best to you and yours. What a fun place to visit.

Two, I enjoy the Lightning greatly. However, I can’t even consider switching my allegiance. It’s in the blood.

Aside ... my loyalty to the Sabres and Bills makes more than a few of my neighbors, whether they’re natives or transplants, annoyed. They believe that the Lightning and the Bucs “should” be my team now that I’ve lived here twenty years.

There’s that word, again. “Should.” Ha ...

Ok, 

Thoughts?

I'm sorry to hear about your wife.

Do what makes you happy. They're a west team, so it wouldn't be hard to root for them wholeheartedly unless they're playing the Sabres their two games a year. And any wins against east teams helps the Sabres (in the non-carrion standings). If some day you find you'd rather see the Knights win against the Sabres, that's fine too. Just don't come over here and prattle on about the Knights constantly when that happens. ;)

I kinda do this in the NFL with the Eagles, as much as I root for any team in football these days. Being an NFC team, they almost never hurt the Bills by winning plus they hate on Cowboys, Redskins, and Giants which is easy. That being said, I've paid almost zero attention to the Eagles this year, including the playoff game yesterday (only watched a few minutes), where I spent more effort on the Bills. 

I jumped ship in '74 from the Leafs to the Sabres after my dad threatened to throw me out of the house. Will never jump again ...

:lol:

I mean do what you want, I suppose, but take it off this forum.

Other than Millbank, of course, you're always welcome.

I mean you can root for other teams on here. I'm going to relentlessly give anyone for it though

Think it's pretty common to have a 2nd favorite team. Criteria for any sport is just one in a separate conference. 

Having grown up a Nordiques fan, I know what it’s like to suffer. I was faithful all the way to the end. After they died, I tried to like the Avalanche but it wasn’t the same. I was a man without a team, then I moved to WNY. Amerks won the Cup my first year here and I started falling in love again. I started watching more and more Sabres games and soon I found myself falling for them as well. I’m guessing I was falling in love with WNY as much as anything but I had learned a lesson to NEVER take my team for granted. I’ll die a Sabres fan whether they have won a Cup or not.

The wording seems to be important here. "Cheering for" vs. "switching teams." I see nothing wrong with considering the Knights your second team and cheering for them on a limited basis. Switching? You're not switching. You can't switch. And you won't. You will suffer with the rest of us, until that glorious day when our suffering ends.

I've sort of cheered for another team (more like "pulled for them") when a friend's team is in the playoffs (and the Sabres aren't). But that's the extent of my "cheating."

This. I could just as easily switch my hockey team as I could switch who my parents are. That is to say, I could never do it.

you owe no loyalty to any team. especially one that constantly disappoints. root for who you want

But also this. If you want to change, and can, and decide to, all power to you.

I grew up in Buffalo and my aunt got me into Sabres hockey because she was a season ticket holder right behind Buffalo’s Bench for years. We moved to Vegas in 89 and still followed the Sabres passionately. My Aunt every year on Christmas and my birthday would send me Sabres shirts and hats. Then all the talk about expansion started happening here in Vegas and it really happened to my surprise. I will tell you that if we would have a nhl team here I would have told you no way and that it would have been Basketball or Soccer. Now that we have the Knights here everyone I play hockey with here growing up liking other teams are now Knights fans. Yes they still root for their original team if they are here but the rest of the time its for the Knights. I ended up buying season seats and so far this season has been awesome. This team is very exciting to watch plus we have a lot of likeable players. Yes when Buffalo was here I had all my Buffalo gear on and was torn cheering for them. I still like the Sabres but these last 7 years have been absolutely draining. I ended up meeting Eichel, O Reilly, and Reinhart after the game just walking thru the plaza at T mobile Arena. I still like the Sabres but I think I’m more of a Knights fan now. My buddy is the same and he’s been a diehard Rangers fan since I can remember.

I will never switch... never... that being said, I enjoy watching good hockey... skating and follow both the Wild because of Enis and Foligno and Vegas because of McNabb and was hoping the Sabres would have picked up Schmidt from Washington last year.  They are fun teams to watch... they both skate hard.  Also Tampa now that Stamkos is back...  But I never root for any of them against the Sabres and if the Sabres were in contention... I would be rooting for all three especially Tampa to fail badly.

The suffering will only makes the fruits of winning all the more sweet. Our day will come and it will be glorious! You’ll want to be a part of it.

I truly believe this. Those of us who also support the Bills got a taste of this two weeks ago when Dalton made that pass. The joy was real and not manufactured. I could never change my team bc i want to be as loyal to them as possible, but I also know the feeling we will feel when the glory days are back is going to be some special.

As someone said, if i were to ever change my loyalties to the Sabres, it would only be to quit the sport.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.