How real is Vegas

mjd1001

OK, Vegas is good. But just how good are they?  We are almost 1/2 way through the season, so its a good time to evaluate:

-They have the second highest point total in the league.  Only 4 points behind Tampa and with a game in hand.

-They are on pace for about 120 points.

-To get to 92 points (usually the minimum total to reach the playoffs), they need to get 38 points in 45 games

-They have played a lot of the early games at home, and will look to have a tougher schedule the 2nd half of the year...but...

-They are where they are with major goalie injuries for a good portion of the year. Maxime Legace has played the most games in goal for them due to injuries...and has a 3.79 gaa and .879 save percentage. If they had either of their top 2 goalies for those games (Suban 2.25 gaa or Fleury 1.96 gaa) would it seem pretty easy to expect them to be ahead of Tampa for the best record in the league now?

-Take out Legaces horrible goaltending...and without him Vegas is 20 wins, 3 LOSSES, and one OT loss.

-They have won 7 in a row...and 11 out of 12...the only loss was a shootout loss.

I still woulnd't place a big bet on Vegas to win the cup..and even wouldn't be surprised to see them not reach the second round the playoffs, but at this point..do they at least have to be considered a legit cup contender?

Edited by mjd1001

Well as a season seat holder and someone that grew up in Buffalo I can tell you this much. This is a very well managed team. At the start of the season the talk was most of the unrestricted players were going to be moved for young prospects and picks. But now with them being as good as they are things have changed. Nobody really knows what McPhee has in mind but I’m hoping they resign most of these players. This team has great chemistry and it shows. At the start of the season the big question was where the goals are gonna come from. Well I have to say they are coming from all lines. All 4 lines are solid. Perron and Haula have been unreal on the first line, and no need to talk about Neal he just keeps doing what he does. The second line is just as good or better than the first line with Karlsson, Smith and Marchessault. I can’t believe how Florida could not protect either player. Both are really good players. Plus Karlsson watching him practice and play this guy can skate and he has been getting ice time and blossoming. Now onto the 3rd and fourth lines. Minnesota trading Alex Tuch to us for practically nothing is just goes to show you how many GM’s really have no clue to what they are doing. Since rookie development camp he has made an impact and has been getting better and better. All preseason he was making stuff happen almost every shift. He’s been very underrated as far as rookies go. Ain’t no one talking about him and he just keeps on being effective. Cody Eakin and Brendan Leipsic work hard and have had tons of chances to score. Now on to I think the best fourth line in hockey. Pierre-Édouard Bellemare is just a great great player. I say that because he takes a lot of the major defensive faceoffs, he is on the penalty killing squad, he is a shut down player and really good at it. I think he is the most underrated offensive defensive player in the league. He’s not gonna wow you with scoring because he more of a defensive player but he does have some skill offensively. Nosek, Carrier and Lindbergh have been great especially Carrier when healthy. Him and Nosek are a force on the forecheck and along the boards. Lindbergh has been on the third and fourth lines but has played well at times for this team. Now onto the defense. I think our defense 1-7 know their roles and all have been solid. Schmidt, McNabb, Thoedore, Miller, Sbisa, Engelland, Merrill and Hunt. Schmidt, Miller and Theodore have been playing unreal. Miller and Schmidt have cannons of shots especially Miller and both can really skate. Theodore started in the minors to start the season because of all the one way contracts but since his callup he had a rough first two weeks adjusting but the last two months he’s getting better and better each game. Now to the goaltenders. Everyone knows about Fluery but the unsung hero here is the goaltending coach. He’s been awesome and all 5 goalies used when we had those injury issues have said nothing but great things about him. Here was an interesting thing to start the season. Before the preseason Calvin Pickard had a mask contest designed by the fans. He played like during preseason and was let go for Subban in which a lot of the things we heard was he was no good but very athletic. Well I have to say he’s become a fan favorite and is a very good young goalie plus with Fleury being a mentor the sky’s the limit. I was like most of you before the season and said they would win 20-30 games but not be the worst team in the league. But watching practice and the games this team is for real they are playing with chips on their shoulders, they like playing here and all have meshed well together off the ice. This is just a fun team to watch, how far they will go no one knows. But they play a fast paced exciting brand of hockey and they work hard.

Edited by SabresBillsFan

Well as a season seat holder and someone that grew up in Buffalo I can tell you this much. This is a very well managed team. At the start of the season the talk was most of the unrestricted players were going to be moved for young prospects and picks. But now with them being as good as they are things have changed. Nobody really knows what McPhee has in mind but I’m hoping they resign most of these players. This team has great chemistry and it shows. At the start of the season the big question was where the goals are gonna come from. Well I have to say they are coming from all lines. All 4 lines are solid. Perron and Haula have been unreal on the first line, and no need to talk about Neal he just keeps doing what he does. The second line is just as good or better than the first line with Karlsson, Smith and Marchessault. I can’t believe how Florida could not protect either player. Both are really good players. Plus Karlsson watching him practice and play this guy can skate and he has been getting ice time and blossoming. Now onto the 3rd and fourth lines. Minnesota trading Alex Tuch to us for practically nothing is just goes to show you how many GM’s really have no clue to what they are doing. Since rookie development camp he has made an impact and has been getting better and better. All preseason he was making stuff happen almost every shift. He’s been very underrated as far as rookies go. Ain’t no one talking about him and he just keeps on being effective. Cody Eakin and Brendan Leipsic work hard and have had tons of chances to score. Now on to I think the best fourth line in hockey. Pierre-Édouard Bellemare is just a great great player. I say that because he takes a lot of the major defensive faceoffs, he is on the penalty killing squad, he is a shut down player and really good at it. I think he is the most underrated offensive defensive player in the league. He’s not gonna wow you with scoring because he more of a defensive player but he does have some skill offensively. Nosek, Carrier and Lindbergh have been great especially Carrier when healthy. Him and Nosek are a force on the forecheck and along the boards. Lindbergh has been on the third and fourth lines but has played well at times for this team. Now onto the defense. I think our defense 1-7 know their roles and all have been solid. Schmidt, McNabb, Thoedore, Miller, Sbisa, Engelland, Merrill and Hunt. Schmidt, Miller and Theodore have been playing unreal. Miller and Schmidt have cannons of shots especially Miller and both can really skate. Theodore started in the minors to start the season because of all the one way contracts but since his callup he had a rough first two weeks adjusting but the last two months he’s getting better and better each game. Now to the goaltenders. Everyone knows about Fluery but the unsung hero here is the goaltending coach. He’s been awesome and all 5 goalies used when we had those injury issues have said nothing but great things about him. Here was an interesting thing to start the season. Before the preseason Calvin Pickard had a mask contest designed by the fans. He played like ###### during preseason and was let go for Subban in which a lot of the things we heard was he was no good but very athletic. Well I have to say he’s become a fan favorite and is a very good young goalie plus with Fleury being a mentor the sky’s the limit. I was like most of you before the season and said they would win 20-30 games but not be the worst team in the league. But watching practice and the games this team is for real they are playing with chips on their shoulders, they like playing here and all have meshed well together off the ice. This is just a fun team to watch, how far they will go no one knows. But they play a fast paced exciting brand of hockey and they work hard.

Thanks for a serious but yet unserious post.

Please, no offence, but use enter and split the text. Its very hard to read.  :) 

Well as a season seat holder and someone that grew up in Buffalo I can tell you this much. This is a very well managed team. At the start of the season the talk was most of the unrestricted players were going to be moved for young prospects and picks. But now with them being as good as they are things have changed. Nobody really knows what McPhee has in mind but I’m hoping they resign most of these players. This team has great chemistry and it shows. At the start of the season the big question was where the goals are gonna come from. Well I have to say they are coming from all lines. All 4 lines are solid. Perron and Haula have been unreal on the first line, and no need to talk about Neal he just keeps doing what he does. The second line is just as good or better than the first line with Karlsson, Smith and Marchessault. I can’t believe how Florida could not protect either player. Both are really good players. Plus Karlsson watching him practice and play this guy can skate and he has been getting ice time and blossoming. Now onto the 3rd and fourth lines. Minnesota trading Alex Tuch to us for practically nothing is just goes to show you how many GM’s really have no clue to what they are doing. Since rookie development camp he has made an impact and has been getting better and better. All preseason he was making stuff happen almost every shift. He’s been very underrated as far as rookies go. Ain’t no one talking about him and he just keeps on being effective. Cody Eakin and Brendan Leipsic work hard and have had tons of chances to score. Now on to I think the best fourth line in hockey. Pierre-Édouard Bellemare is just a great great player. I say that because he takes a lot of the major defensive faceoffs, he is on the penalty killing squad, he is a shut down player and really good at it. I think he is the most underrated offensive defensive player in the league. He’s not gonna wow you with scoring because he more of a defensive player but he does have some skill offensively. Nosek, Carrier and Lindbergh have been great especially Carrier when healthy. Him and Nosek are a force on the forecheck and along the boards. Lindbergh has been on the third and fourth lines but has played well at times for this team. Now onto the defense. I think our defense 1-7 know their roles and all have been solid. Schmidt, McNabb, Thoedore, Miller, Sbisa, Engelland, Merrill and Hunt. Schmidt, Miller and Theodore have been playing unreal. Miller and Schmidt have cannons of shots especially Miller and both can really skate. Theodore started in the minors to start the season because of all the one way contracts but since his callup he had a rough first two weeks adjusting but the last two months he’s getting better and better each game. Now to the goaltenders. Everyone knows about Fluery but the unsung hero here is the goaltending coach. He’s been awesome and all 5 goalies used when we had those injury issues have said nothing but great things about him. Here was an interesting thing to start the season. Before the preseason Calvin Pickard had a mask contest designed by the fans. He played like ###### during preseason and was let go for Subban in which a lot of the things we heard was he was no good but very athletic. Well I have to say he’s become a fan favorite and is a very good young goalie plus with Fleury being a mentor the sky’s the limit. I was like most of you before the season and said they would win 20-30 games but not be the worst team in the league. But watching practice and the games this team is for real they are playing with chips on their shoulders, they like playing here and all have meshed well together off the ice. This is just a fun team to watch, how far they will go no one knows. But they play a fast paced exciting brand of hockey and they work hard.

With the best will possible: DELETE YOUR ACCOUNT.

Watched them beat Nashville. They hard and fast and are nasty in their own end. McNabb blocks a ton of shot and drilled Arrvidson 5 times dont know how he is still walking, gotta have ptsd after that game.

They play opportunistic offense with guys who can shoot, they cycle well and counter well. A lot like Columbus but tougher nastier D. And they role 4 lines about equally.

The way Vegas is going, I wouldn't be too surprised if they won the Stanley Cup this year. This franchise has been shot out of a cannon.

I think the expansion draft rules made sense when there were fewer teams. They need to change them for the next one.

I think the expansion draft rules made sense when there were fewer teams. They need to change them for the next one.

Fat chance of that happening. The Vegas owners paid the other NHL owners $500 million for the privilege of poaching the rosters of other teams and the Seattle owners upped the ante and paid $650 million. If anything they're going to want the expansion draft rules tilted even more in their favor and if the league has any ideas of expanding beyond 32 they'd be smart to allow it so they can soak the next franchise owners for $800 million each.

Edited by Alkoholist

I think Vegas is over performing their talent some, but they're for real this year. Their underlying numbers are good, too. There's nothing suggesting this team is going to crash and burn.

Frankly, Dale Tallon should win GM of the year for his work in Vegas. What's that? He works for Florida? Oh....

Edited by TrueBlueGED

I would have bet every cent I had that they would be a bottom 3 team. I am glad I didn't actually do it. They are legit, somehow, some way. 

It's probably at the expense of the next 3-5 years of the franchise, but it's probably worth it. 

No team that gets to their 5th goalie has any business looking like this, much less the other glaring issues ON PAPER, and yet they do. 

Something tells me that Karlsson and crew are not top 30 NHL players though, and while this season it may be the case, I would still bet that things get ugly before they become a sustainably (word?) great team. Not as ugly as we've seen here, and I wouldn't bet everything I have this time :P

You can’t forget the jump start they got on development with the extra high picks either:

Tuch, Theodore, Karlsson, Carrier, Subban, Dansk, Matteau, Reinhart, Glass, Brannstrom, Suzuki...

Not all studs, but it usually takes 3-5 years for an expansion team to develop a list of young players that deep

You are what your record says you are. 

I quite like that maxim.

Anything that is bound to happen -- because of what the underlying numbers say -- has not yet happened, and therefore has no bearing on what you are at that particular point in time. That sort of thinking bears on what you may yet become. But not on what you are.

as much as we all hate Bettman and his big ego I have to give him credit on this one...he convinced owners to give up real actually and good players off their rosters to Vegas with the payoff being pretty obvious...now bettman can ask for close to if not a billion dollars for the next franchise. he can point to vegas as proof that any new franchise is worth whatever he deems it to be. vegas is for real because they have a good mix of players. Their management picked well and deserve huge kudos

From the very limited games I've seen of vegas, my eyes tell me two things.

1) All 4 lines are a threat. None of their lines look elite, but none look like total liabilities. This is a nightmare to defend against, because you can't take a single shift off against the team. Same with defense. Every defensive pair looks competent.

2) Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard. Most of their roster is overachievers that have had to bust ass to make it in the NHL. Can you imagine walking into a room surrounded with people who give everything every shift and not busting your butt? You'd get murdered. Gallant walked into a room where every player was going to get on board and bust butt like a professional.

So yeah, wouldn't surprise me at all if they make it to the conference finals. They are going to make a deep run this year.

From the very limited games I've seen of vegas, my eyes tell me two things.

1) All 4 lines are a threat. None of their lines look elite, but none look like total liabilities. This is a nightmare to defend against, because you can't take a single shift off against the team. Same with defense. Every defensive pair looks competent.

2) Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard. Most of their roster is overachievers that have had to bust ass to make it in the NHL. Can you imagine walking into a room surrounded with people who give everything every shift and not busting your butt? You'd get murdered. Gallant walked into a room where every player was going to get on board and bust butt like a professional.

So yeah, wouldn't surprise me at all if they make it to the conference finals. They are going to make a deep run this year.

Well that would be refreshing. Having every guy bust his butt every shift. Give me some of that on this team.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.