DEADLINE DAY -- Sabres trade speculation

matter2003

My hunch is that Kane will fetch much less than fans expect. One he's a rental in all likelihood and two, he's still, I believe, looked at as a character risk. His career stats will be considered not just last season and October and November of this season(really hasn't produced much since). Overall Sabre fans may have him over valued. Botterill is apparently asking much more than, I think,other teams will pay.

My hunch is that Kane will fetch much less than fans expect. One he's a rental in all likelihood and two, he's still, I believe, looked at as a character risk. His career stats will be considered not just last season and October and November of this season(really hasn't produced much since). Overall Sabre fans may have him over valued. Botterill is apparently asking much more than, I think,other teams will pay.

This could be, but in theory, Kane's value is not a static figure. It also has to account for what possible interested teams can afford. If a "win now" team feels confident with their prospect pipeline, and feels the gamble is worth it (if it poises them to contend for a cup), they may feel they can part with what GMBot is asking.

Some teams may overpay if they feel it'll bring them closer to a cup. That's what we have to hope for.

Does anyone really expect the return for Kane to be good? I've seen a few people say it won't be as good as fans are expecting...but at least around here, I've taken "less than stellar" as the operating assumption for most. Regardless of what Botterill's initial ask is, I don't think anyone is actually expecting it to be the return.

If hanzal got that haul last year than yeah its right to expect at least the same for kane.    Hanzal was stinking it up all year long.

Botterill on GR a lot of communication, but teams are reluctant to part with prospects or First and Second Picks until they know what their playoff chances are.

They will not give any team permission to talk to Kane about a contract extension before trade deadline

He is comfortable with waiting until the deadline.

ROR is not a player he would like to move now, he is not shopping him. But the team is not where it needs to be right now.

Botterill added "O'Reilly is a huge part of what we're doing here"

I listened to this interview the other day and came away with the impression that JBott thinks very highly of ROR and thus that it's highly unlikely that he will be traded.

Kinda makes me wonder if there are going to be any changes to the top 6 -- which in turn makes me wonder how TF can he not make changes to the top 6 given how little offense the team has produced this year.

I listened to this interview the other day and came away with the impression that JBott thinks very highly of ROR and thus that it's highly unlikely that he will be traded.

Kinda makes me wonder if there are going to be any changes to the top 6 -- which in turn makes me wonder how TF can he not make changes to the top 6 given how little offense the team has produced this year.

Which in turn makes me again wonder how lax his timeline really is.

Increasingly it’s looking like it’s draft picks or nothing for top 6 augmentation. Which is certainly reasonable, in a vacuum. But it continues to strike me as a risky proposition when Eichel’s cheap years have wasted away, and his prime years are on the clock.

Especially when the hole is only going to get deeper when Kane is moved.

He’s seems to be operating as should have been the case starting in 2013, sans Tank. But we tanked. We have Eichel. So it’s a bold strategy at this point.

We’ll see if it pays off.

I liked Murray’s strategy better. But his execution was terrible. I don’t particularly like Botterill’s strategy, but maybe his execution will be solid.

Which in turn makes me again wonder how lax his timeline really is.

Increasingly it’s looking like it’s draft picks or nothing for top 6 augmentation. Which is certainly reasonable, in a vacuum. But it continues to strike me as a risky proposition when Eichel’s cheap years have wasted away, and his prime years are on the clock.

Especially when the hole is only going to get deeper when Kane is moved.

He’s seems to be operating as should have been the case starting in 2013, sans Tank. But we tanked. We have Eichel. So it’s a bold strategy at this point.

We’ll see if it pays off.

I liked Murray’s strategy better. But his execution was terrible. I don’t particularly like Botterill’s strategy, but maybe his execution will be solid.

I'm not sure what he's supposed to do at this point, though. He doesn't have the assets to move like Murray did, and it's clear that our top players, as assembled, aren't good enough. How is he supposed to go about augmenting our top-6 (I still hate this terminology, but I'm going with it to save a side argument) without jettisoning some of it and/or growing from within? Murray left him in a really bad spot.

Our timeline is all jacked up because Murray's accelerated rebuild didn't work. I agreed with Murray's approach, but he missed. That much is clear. Even if we were to keep Kane and keep trying to build, (potentially) picking the wrong players in Reinhart and Nylander is crippling. Our best trade chip is O'Reilly, but if he's dealt, we're still waiting on Mittelstadt to own that 2C spot before we're competing for much of anything, because an O'Reilly deal is likely to result in improving the blue line, not a comparable forward. 

Rebuilding the "right way" costs us a couple more of Jack's prime years, but I think that's probably preferable to chasing a ghost.

I'm not sure what he's supposed to do at this point, though. He doesn't have the assets to move like Murray did, and it's clear that our top players, as assembled, aren't good enough. How is he supposed to go about augmenting our top-6 (I still hate this terminology, but I'm going with it to save a side argument) without jettisoning some of it and/or growing from within? Murray left him in a really bad spot.

Our timeline is all jacked up because Murray's accelerated rebuild didn't work. I agreed with Murray's approach, but he missed. That much is clear. Even if we were to keep Kane and keep trying to build, (potentially) picking the wrong players in Reinhart and Nylander is crippling. Our best trade chip is O'Reilly, but if he's dealt, we're still waiting on Mittelstadt to own that 2C spot before we're competing for much of anything, because an O'Reilly deal is likely to result in improving the blue line, not a comparable forward. 

Rebuilding the "right way" costs us a couple more of Jack's prime years, but I think that's probably preferable to chasing a ghost.

Nitpicking, but don't believe Reinhart was the "wrong" pick. Tanking that year was absolutely the wrong decision. As was choosing Nylander.

And agree they have to wait at least a season to trade O'Reilly to make sure Mittelstadt pans out on the 2nd line (& also that Eichel can continue to improve on draws).