DEADLINE DAY -- Sabres trade speculation

matter2003

It would have to involve Pittsburg 1st this year with no lottery protecting. Their prospect pool is meh.

Daniel Sprong has been returned to the AHL, as the Pens felt he was not ready. That peaks my interest.

From Insider Trading

Tavares will not be moved.

Nashville may still be in the market for a Top 6 Scoring Winger if the price is right

i just read online that toronto is considering a trade for lehner. the deal is lehner to toronto for a sack of 10 white castle hamburgers and 2 orders of chicken rings. the sabres will also need to give up their first round picks for 2019,2020, 2021 and the second round pick in 2022. The sabres will also need to pay for the remainder of lehner's contract, and the sabres will pay the contract of mathews. mathews will stay on the maple leafs, but the sabres will pay him.

seems like a good trade for both teams

Edited by fettmanlitenkappa

Couple more options I have been looking at...

Trade #1- Larsson, Baptiste, Tennyson and 2019 3rd pick to Ottawa for Hoffman, Cici.

Buffalo gets a sniper to replace Kane, Cici gives them a young stable RD for second or third pairing.

Ottawa removes cap space in removing Hoffman.

Trade #2- Lehner, Nylander to NYI for Halak and Keifer Bellows.

Swap of goalies and prospects.

Trade #3- Kane to St Louis for Jordan Kyrou and 2018 2nd rd, and 2019 conditional (1st if they make conference finals or Kane resigns in St Louis)

St Louis gets their sniper and Sabres get prospect and picks.

Trade #4- ROR and Bogo to San Jose for Tomas Hertl, Timo Meir and Brenden Dillon.

San Jose gets long term center to fill Thorton's spot and we get younger and more D help.

Next years lineup

Hoffman- Eichel- Okapis

Meir- Hertl- Reinhart

Girgensons- Rodrigues- Pommer

CJ Smith, Malone, Bailey 

Scandella- Risto

Guhle- Cici

Dillion- McCabe

Ullmark

These trades gives us prospects of Bellows and Kyrou to join Middlestat in Rochester next year.

Armchair gm of the year :D

These trades are pure robbery and pretty unrealistic.

Trade #1 - OTT would laugh at that offer.   Switch Tennyson with Guhle, and the 3rd to a 1st.... and maybe they don't let out a chuckle.  

Trade #2 - An average goalie and a lazy underachieving prospect for an average goalie and one of the top prospects in hockey.   Bad deal for NYI.

Trade #3 - It's gonna take more than Kane just to land Kyrou.  

Trade #4 - SJS doesn't have the cap space.  They'd be adding a net $10mil/yr in salary with that deal.    Maybe with Thorton coming off the books it could work, but that would leave them much with many spots to fill next season.

Gonna disagree here.. I think Nylander and Bellows are pretty close in terms of value. Definitely same tier prospect at this point. I don't think anyone considers Bellows "one of the top prospects in hockey." He's somwhere in that 25-50 range. And I'm a HUGE Bellows fan. Would love to bring him in.

Armchair gm of the year :D

These trades are pure robbery and pretty unrealistic.

FWIW Corey Pronman Alex Nylander ranked 24th in his Top 50 Prospects and Kieffer Bellows did not make the Top 50, he only received a honorable mention.

i just read online that toronto is considering a trade for lehner. the deal is lehner to toronto for a sack of 10 white castle hamburgers and 2 orders of chicken rings. the sabres will also need to give up their first round picks for 2019,2020, 2021 and the second round pick in 2022. The sabres will also need to pay for the remainder of lehner's contract, and the sabres will pay the contract of mathews. mathews will stay on the maple leafs, but the sabres will pay him.

seems like a good trade for both teams

Since we don't have White Castle here in Canada, hopefully Harvey's will have to do.

In Arizona tonight, Raanta was supposed to start tonight but didn't at last moment and is not on the bench. Most likely just sick but could be competition for Sabres if they want to move Lehner.

He was salary dump to facilitate getting Scandella. He has one year left and the Sabres are not in cap trouble.

If the goal next season is to put together a roster capable of making the playoffs, then I think we are in a little bit of cap trouble for 2018-19. Pominville ($5 million), Moulson ($5 million), and Bogosian ($6 million) alone will account for 20% of the cap (~$80 million).

I am starting to think that the return for Kane may not be what some seem to be expecting.  All potentially interested teams know that the Sabres made no attempt to re-sign him with an expiring contract.  He may be a pure rental player, and he has slumped recently.  I am surprised that the Sabres moved him off of Eichel's line.  Would have made sense to me to keep Kane there until a trade was consummated so that his numbers would be as strong as possible.  I also would have thought the Sabres would have least engaged with Kane's agent about re-signing him whether or not they were serious about it to help with the optics of his situation.

If the goal next season is to put together a roster capable of making the playoffs, then I think we are in a little bit of cap trouble for 2018-19. Pominville ($5 million), Moulson ($5 million), and Bogosian ($6 million) alone will account for 20% of the cap (~$80 million).

Botterill said on GR today the way you build a team is by drafting and developing players with supplementation through Free Agency.

The Sabres have 24 Million in projected cap space and their Notable RFAs include Reinhart, Baptiste, Lehner, Bailey, Wilson, Nelson, Antipin and CJ Smith. Reinhart and Lehner are the only two who will be at or over 3 Million, if Lehner is even on the team. I’m not too worried about cap space just yet.

I was disappointed that Botterill didn't move Bogo , Gorges or Moulson last summer... he seems happy just to ride out their deals.      And by "move" I mean incentivize some team to take on their deals by including picks or some B level prospects, maybe a Larsson or Girgensons as well.      

Botterill added "O'Reilly is a huge part of what we're doing here"

Sounds to me like they plan on keeping him around.       

Botterill said on GR today the way you build a team is by drafting and developing players with supplementation through Free Agency.

The Sabres have 24 Million in projected cap space and their Notable RFAs include Reinhart, Baptiste, Lehner, Bailey, Wilson, Nelson, Antipin and CJ Smith. Reinhart and Lehner are the only two who will be at or over 3 Million, if Lehner is even on the team. I’m not too worried about cap space just yet.

Right, but Botterill will need to supplement the out of free agency if he wants to have a viable playoff roster, particularly among the bottom 6 forwards.

And I view making the playoffs next season as an important part of the "development" aspect of the young players currently on the Sabres roster, much in the same way Botterill sees a competitive Amerks roster as important to the overall franchise development. There is currently an awful stench of failure surrounding the Buffalo Sabres organization. It's becoming more and more deeply ingrained with each passing season that gets added to the record-breaking playoff drought.

Oh, but not all hope is lost. There is one simple antidote to all that ails us: JOHN TAVARES.  :w00t:

Right, but Botterill will need to supplement the ###### out of free agency if he wants to have a viable playoff roster, particularly among the bottom 6 forwards.

And I view making the playoffs next season as an important part of the "development" aspect of the young players currently on the Sabres roster, much in the same way Botterill sees a competitive Amerks roster as important to the overall franchise development. There is currently an awful stench of failure surrounding the Buffalo Sabres organization. It's becoming more and more deeply ingrained with each passing season that gets added to the record-breaking playoff drought.

Oh, but not all hope is lost. There is one simple antidote to all that ails us: JOHN TAVARES.  :w00t:

If he isn't staying with the Islanders I can see it happen, but would need to ship O'Reilly out at one point though.

From Friedman this AM

“I had one GM and he said, ‘You can’t use my name because I don’t want it getting out there,’ but he said, ‘If I told you what I got asked for for one guy,’ he said, ‘You would not believe it.’ And he says, ‘There’s no way I’m doing that.’ And he said, ‘Right now the buyers are going to wait. They’re going to squeeze these guys because someone is going to panic and drop their price.’

“I think there’s a lot of talking. There’s quite a few guys out there, especially scorers, and I think the buyers are saying, ‘The prices are insane and we’re going to try to wait as long as we can.’ “

Kane, as an example, is reported to come with a trade ask from Buffalo Sabres general manager Jason Botterill of a draft pick, a prospect, a roster player, and a conditional pick if Kane were to re-sign with the team acquiring him.