DEADLINE DAY -- Sabres trade speculation

matter2003

Trade anyone for the right return, no? This draft is full of D prospects. 

I mean, it's not the move I would make, but if you can get a 1st for Risto, do you do it and maybe take 2 D prospects in the top 10? 

I will trade Risto for Boeser. ;)

To paraphrase I think trading a young well priced defender for anything short of another young already established player is a bold strategy cotton. 

Edited by LGR4GM

Still no, Ristolainen should be untouchable unless McDavid or Matthews is being given to us. He’s at minimum a top 4 dman who knows how to eat minutes and generate points. You don’t trade that for a lottery ticket which at best starts in two years.

This is a little over the top, but I get your point. He certainly eats minutes. 

He's having a down year this year on production but so is the whole team.

His value is high. But everything has a price. 

I will trade Risto for Boeser. ;)

To paraphrase I think trading a young well priced defender for anything short of another young already established player is a bold strategy cotton. 

I don't disagree. 

This is a little over the top, but I get your point. He certainly eats minutes. 

He's having a down year this year on production but so is the whole team.

His value is high. But everything has a price. 

And who's fault is that?   Trading away underperforming players would be a huge mistake IMO, and set this team back for many years.    I hope Botterill is smart enough to realize that if every single player is underperforming then coaching is the issue.     

That said, I think he gives Housley until mid-Jan to show some kind of progress.    My guess is he's using the looming threat of trades to try and motivate these guys.   I'd be shocked if he actually pulls the trigger on any of the core guys.

Risto to me is a guy I would absolutely deal for the right price. A very good defenseman yes, but to me he isn't a cant miss cornerstone #1 defenseman. More like an elite #2 or low end #1 at best.

As for Eichel: Stop trying to make him what he isn't: He is a shooter, a elite scorer, let him go out there and do what he does BEST.

My source tells me Kane isn't going anywhere.    BUF is just putting his name out there hoping somebody gives them an offer they can't refuse... which won't happen.

So what's the plan? Let him walk? Sign him to an extension?

It's the full on game of chicken i described before.  Every time he scores the more likely someone is going to want to be willing to bring him on.  The risk is he gets injured or they wait too long and the value drops because the team isn't going to get to keep him.

UNLESS... it's a team he wants to sign an extension with.  In which case, perhaps later in the season is fine because a team nearing their playoff run might be willing to give up a bit more in the prospect pool knowing they won't have to use that depth as much in the playoffs.

It'll be fascinating to see what happens.  Almost as fascinating as people on here speculating everything.

I think Botterill is playing with fire the longer he waits to pull a trigger on the Kane trade.

Maybe the current offers he's getting are so low, he really does intend to let him walk as a UFA if the offers don't get better, and that's why he doesn't mind taking that risk.

Our friend who shall not be named published a Ian Cole for Evander Kane rumor.  I couldn't help but laugh.  

1) If that is all Jbot can get for Kane, TP should fire him before the deal gets announced.  ]

2) Failing No. 1, Sabres fan would lineup to ......... (Insert your destructive idea here).

All that said, still the funniest rumor I've heard to date.

Now if Pitt wants Kane, and needs to include Cole to get the deal done, I'm willing to listen, but that is a starting point that must include someone like Sheary, a near ready prospect and a high draft pick.

I wonder if you can set up a contract where he gets a bonus if he plays over a certain number of games?

That's pretty common in contracts actually. Gronk has the same thing in his for the Pats. Not sure what it really does for you as a team though. You're still stuck with the player and his cap hit either way

Kane doesn't qualify for a bonus inclusive contract.

NHL CBA is significantly different than that of the other 3 of the big 4 sports leagues.

Hypothetical. Kane says he'll sign for 7yrs At 7.5 mil. Would you trade ROR to keep Evander?

Would we need to?

Maybe.  It shorts us a #2 center.  We'd have to target that in the offseason.

What I want to see from JBot before I feel I can judge him is, him finding a way to build on what we have that is good, not subtracting them and consequently needing to replace them.

Would we need to?

Maybe. It shorts us a #2 center. We'd have to target that in the offseason.

What I want to see from JBot before I feel I can judge him is, him finding a way to build on what we have that is good, not subtracting them and consequently needing to replace them.

Mittelstadt. And I agree about not subtracting, that's why I suggest Kane over ROR

Middlestud, think it makes sense to trade ROR and Sam and Chad... get a D and another forward in return maybe thru picks. Love TO fans being dillusional. But Id take OReilly for OReilly and use the number 1 on a center

Edited by Kottbullar

Not that I don't think it could work but you are talking trading away $12 million vs $2 mill.

Not looking at Sam as a future impact. ROR I think can be. I am not impressed at all with Sam and can't see long term contract on him.

Not looking at Sam as a future impact. ROR I think can be. I am not impressed at all with Sam and can't see long term contract on him.

I don't think anyone on God's green earth will use the term "impressed" when it comes to Sam Reinhart. Any trade involving him right now would essentially be just giving him away because no one is going to give you anything of actual value.

Edited by Borkman