Goaltending Controversy: Robin or Chad... or Linus

LGR4GM

It's all a moot point anyway. I have it on good authority that Casey Mittelstadt will play goalie as well as 1st line center simultaneously as soon as he graces us with his presence. He'll score 10 goals a game while also getting 98 shutouts on the way to the first ever perfect season.

He can do that because he's the exception to "the puck moves faster than the player".

It's all a moot point anyway. I have it on good authority that Casey Mittelstadt will play goalie as well as 1st line center simultaneously as soon as he graces us with his presence. He'll score 10 goals a game while also getting 98 shutouts on the way to the first ever perfect season.

More like there will be no need for a goalie when Casey is on the ice because he will never lose the puck and the other team won't ever get to our zone. Might as well pull the goalie to pad our +/- stats and give a +1 for the extra player.

Chad is rad.

But I also thought Nilsson was the better goalie last year, and Lehner still got the contract. When I watch Lehner, I don't see a #1 NHL goalie - but at season's end, he put up worthy numbers last year. So I just don't know. 

Edited by Skibum

If you start playing Chad over Lehner, Lehner's going to get all moody and we will lose him for the season. I predict Lehner is traded before the end of the season and not for much.

There are a number of potential free agent goalies on the market for 2018 if they don't like Ullmark. I expect them to keep drafting goalies.

So this whole discussion comes up as a result of a single win?  Neither goalie has done anything to distinguish himself from the other.  Lehner's played an extra 100 minutes and has slightly better numbers, but Johnson has that magic number in the win column.  I've got a word that describes this situation much better than controversy does.  That word is "blah".  Right now there's a whole lot of nothing from the position.

Agreed. Some under whelming hockey being played all the way around. 

If you start playing Chad over Lehner, Lehner's going to get all moody and we will lose him for the season. I predict Lehner is traded before the end of the season and not for much.

There are a number of potential free agent goalies on the market for 2018 if they don't like Ullmark. I expect them to keep drafting goalies.

Interesting point about his Psyche, might very well be right given his volatile nature.

I do agree though about how Jbot may likely handle the situation going forward.

Lehner got the 1 year deal to prove his worth to JBot.

He will have to play really well to get a long term deal.

I think Ullmark is here next year, just not sure if he will be the backup or given a shot at #1. There may be a situation where he is competing with another guy (UFA) for the #1 job. We may have 2 potential starters vying for top spot.

Chad is rad.

But I also thought Nilsson was the better goalie last year, and Lehner still got the contract. When I watch Lehner, I don't see a #1 NHL goalie - but at season's end, he put up worthy numbers last year. So I just don't know. 

Unfortunately I think the nice numbers put up by Lehner and Nillson last year and in previous years were a product of the defensive shell tactic that we employed regularly. The Sabres actively gave up our blueline last year as a tradeoff for keeping shots to low-risk areas, which pumped up our goaltending SV% and made both of our league average goalies appear better statistically.

I was expecting a pretty strong negative adjustment this year when they start facing more high-risk chances. As we have seen so far in the small sample size of the regular season thus far, Lehner looks really bad on 2 on 1 opportunities and opponent chances from the slot/in close.

So much of goal tending is what's between the ears.  I just don't see Lehner having the mental fortitude to be a true #1 on a playoff team.

I think his mental game is weak.  JBot realized this and signed him for 1-year and traded a 4rd to VGK to protect Ullmark after CP didn't sign.

Still surprised that Petersen didn't sign, he had a relatively clear path to #1 goalie in 1-2 years, while in LA, it's Quick's net for 5-6 years.  CP won't see that net until 2022.

I wanted Chad to start even though I expected the game he had.

The team needs to know that his good play isnt being ignored, it's just that he isn't usually capable of putting up back-to-back good games.

Lehner is, and that's why he's the better choice, if not the right guy.

There are a number of fans who too easily overlook these kind of games from Chad.

Edited by dudacek

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.