How soon till Housley is on the hot seat?

freester

I really hope not.  Unless this team is bad beyond belief (worst in the league by 5+ points or more in January), I think you don't make any changes.

I could see some player moves...trades...and I can imagine that pretty soon, but nothing about the coach or GM unless there is some major turmoil where people are yelling and screaming at each other in the front office.

You can't just keep losing with a first time head coach and a first time GM and not have major consequences, I think 4 more consecutive losses and they bring in a consultant like Lindy.

This is true about the consequences. And those consequences should be players being moved out.

This team is a bigger mess than a lot of people, including myself realized and as much as I despised DD, playing like this under two coaches shifts the blame to the players.

Housley's Contract is three years I believe and he gets into that third year before feeling any heat from ownership. If the Sabres fire him after this year, no coach worth anything is coming near this team.

PS:It's only been five games. Granted they have been soul sucking, but it's only five games

I saw Drew Griffith out there in the final minute or so last nightand I realized this season isn't about winning — again. Not exactly a tank, but the idea clearly is to let some future stars grow up together in Rochester while the bottom half of the big team's lineup is populated by Never Ever League grads. You wonder what the tattered mental remains of the top half will be when the Sabres brass finally says, "OK, nowwwwwww go win." You can't blame fans for feeling like they're just being strung along, especially the folks who see their ticket invoices go up every year.

I bet Botterill,  Housley and the Pegulas' team will really start to catch heat from the media by the end of October if the team is only earning 1 out of 4 or 1 out of 5 available points (right now it's 1 out of 10).  

There's a honeymoon period - but that only lasts so long.   They've had the new coach and GM for most of the off season - the Classic Buffalo Excuse -  "they need more time to learn the new system" only works for so long...  The Stars (2-3-0) Kings (3-0-1), Canucks (1-2-1) and Panthers (2-2-0) also have brand new coaches for the 2017-18 season and they're doing better than the Sabres. 

Plus....,Vegas is a brand new team, and already already 3 and 1 with SIX points to the Sabres 1 after 5 games.   That is disgusting, and that throws the tired "Learning the new system" excuse right out the door, doesn't it?     

I saw Drew Griffith out there in the final minute or so last nightand I realized this season isn't about winning — again. Not exactly a tank, but the idea clearly is to let some future stars grow up together in Rochester while the bottom half of the big team's lineup is populated by Never Ever League grads. You wonder what the tattered mental remains of the top half will be when the Sabres brass finally says, "OK, nowwwwwww go win." You can't blame fans for feeling like they're just being strung along, especially the folks who see their ticket invoices go up every year.

I don't know whether that was on purpose or by mistake, but I think the board should adopt it.

Way to early to even broach this conversation. Housely and staff aren't the problem, and you can bet everyone from the owner on down to the zamboni operators know it.

Its the players. A half dozen are short term gap fillers while developing youth ply their lessons in the AHL, juniors and over seas.

4 or 5 players that are supposed to be a part of the gradual up swing aren't performing, ROR, Okposo, Larsson, Risto and McCabe.

Look at the Islanders, it took 6 years from the Tavares pick to pull it together in some sort of semblance. Expect the same here, and we just started year 3.

Patience.

Early next season.

Terry fires guys after 2 seasons

That would be great, if there was some guarantee it would make any difference.  This Ownership seems totally inept at building a winning organization.  

Even the new/novice owner EXCUSE doesn't work any more.   The 7th anniversary of Pegula taking the reins will be February.    This is the 8th season of the Pegula Regime. 

We've been thru this cycle of hire/fire a few times with the Pegulas already.  No improvement so far;  some things get better, some get worse, but the end result is a team that can't even begin to challenge for lowly wild card berth.  

Edited by Jsixspd

Housley isn’t on the hot seat this season or next. We still have so many bad contracts (Moulson, Bogo, Gorges to name 3) and a dearth of talent that I’m sure Jbot has made TP aware of where his club really stands.

What Jbot will need to see from Housley as this season progresses and next, is improvement over time. Housley plays a speed system and our team, as currently contructed, doesn’t have enough. We still have Gorges, Faulk and Moulson on the roster and frankly, ROR is looking slow.

Again, look at who Jbot brought in and the contracts he gave them. Besides Scandella, no one is on a deal over 2 years. The goalies are on 1 year deals. Baloo, Z, and Larsson were signed to 2 year deals. Pommers has 2 years left. All are auditioning for long-term deals and only Z is earning one. Surprise, surprise, he has speed. The nice thing is all the new 2 year deals are 2.4 or less and are moveable. More significant turnover is coming.

What we have to hope for next season from this season is that Jbot starts editing this roster. He’ll probably have to start pruning sooner then hoped. Bailey’s callup is step one (although likely just temporary since the Amerks have a week off). Pouliot, Griffith, Tennyson, and Josefson have no business being on an NHL roster.

I got slammed for saying Gorges should be sent down as soon as Amerks camp opened. Anyone still want him around?

Edited by GASabresFan

You can't just keep losing with a first time head coach and a first time GM and not have major consequences,  I think 4 more consecutive losses and they bring in a consultant like Lindy.

Is Lindy still without a job, thought he was with the rangers ?

Edit: my bad I need to read better :P

Edited by Huckleberry

I think he does. His ###### or get off the pot mentality is refreshing. At least we won't be stuck with a life time GM appointment like Regier had.

Sabres made the playoffs with their life time GM once or twice.

Perhaps. But he has $4B that says he can tell a well lubricated hole from a dry one much better than the average bear.

That's sure helping the sabres.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.