How soon till Housley is on the hot seat?

freester

But, you do?

I know we haven't made the playoffs since the 2010-11 season in a league where more than half the teams make it. That's the longest run in the teams history. Good work Terry. Job well done. The reason for existence blah, blah blah...

I think he does. His ###### or get off the pot mentality is refreshing. At least we won't be stuck with a life time GM appointment like Regier had.

And where has it gotten us? After strongly insinuating he wasn't heavily involved in the decisions to hire GMTM and DDB, a highly dubious claim, he rolled up his sleeves and we ended up with what? Two former Sabres in first-time roles (and Billy Hajt's kid running the D). It could work out, I guess.

And where has it gotten us? After strongly insinuating he wasn't heavily involved in the decisions to hire GMTM and DDB, a highly dubious claim, he rolled up his sleeves and we ended up with what? Two former Sabres in first-time roles (and Billy Hajt's kid running the D). It could work out, I guess.

I can't say your wrong. But let's at the very least take in to consideration a few points.

A. He did make an attempt to bolster the old Rochester core in an effort to improve the club. Yes, it failed. I make no excuses for that. But the largest problem 10 years running was the organizations inability to spend adequately to keep talent.

B. Once A failed, the cleaning process began from top to bottom. Was it handled appropriately? No. I concede this. But, it happened none the less and we ended up with Murray and Bylsma. I consider it a mistake that Terry learned from. And yes, I do concur PA, it was another massive mistake to try and rush things.

C. Bots hiring. While I realize the whole tethered to Pittsburgh thing, just about everyone, insiders and fans alike, agreed this was the best choice available for the job. And while I fully understand that's no conciliation prize for the fan base, I believe it is within reason to assume a 5 to 7 year window before the team is ready given what we've seen in the past on rebuilds to contention status.

In the end, does Pegula make mistakes? Sure, he's human, just like the rest of us. And while those mistakes frustrate us as fans, we need to learn patience ourselves. We have an owner who is passionate and shows a commitment to try, just like the rest of the organization he is going to have to "develop" in to that successful status we all desire.

I've read your posts, does he meddle? Yes, he did and still does I am sure. But I don't believe he's doing it to spite you, me or any of the fans. He just wants to succeed. Over zealous, and he's learning to curb that. Have patience with him, forgive even if you can't forget.

I think Housley is safe this year regardless. The Murray players take the fall for any disaster that this team might become. Next year a serious playoff push saves him and I am sure they expect to make the playoffs year 3.

I certainly hope they still view playoffs as a realistic goal for this season. They need to be striving for that at this point. That's not to say Housley is in any way on the hot seat if we don't make it this year.

I certainly hope they still view playoffs as a realistic goal for this season. They need to be striving for that at this point. That's not to say Housley is in any way on the hot seat if we don't make it this year.

Housley won't be on the hot seat even if we finish last in the NHL. Jbot, TP and realisitic fans know he doesn't have the horses yet to fully run his system.  He has this year and next before he could be remotely viewed as being on the hot seat.  Jbot didn't promise a 3 year rebuild like TM did.  

Now if we start 0-4-1 at the beginning of year 3, well all bets are off then.

Housley won't be on the hot seat even if we finish last in the NHL. Jbot, TP and realisitic fans know he doesn't have the horses yet to fully run his system.  He has this year and next before he could be remotely viewed as being on the hot seat.  Jbot didn't promise a 3 year rebuild like TM did.  

Now if we start 0-4-1 at the beginning of year 3, well all bets are off then.

I agree. But I definitely don't think they view this season and next as write-offs. I'm pretty sure Botterill even mentioned that playoffs are the goal. He just won't sacrifice his "plan", whatever that is, to accomplish it.

No.

Just No.

Even though it has been ugly so far, I see signs of real hockey mixed in with the crap. The team is re-learning how to play hockey after the fear-based tactics of the last two years. A team like this with so many new pieces and changing coaches is one of the few that could use a pre-season that is twice as long to learn how to play when it still doesn't count. To my eyes, Housley is using the first few weeks as an extended pre-season where the players are still working to understand the balance between too-aggressive (first few games, SH goals against) and too conservative (end of the Anaheim game Alamo mode). Give it to the end of October and this team will look like they know what they are doing IMO.

playoffs are always the stated goal, that's just a line like "on the same page" etc.  Like it or not, it's a new 5 year plan for the GM who saves his own butt by firing the coach in year 3 IF things are failing. In the meantime, he gets rid of the previous guys and brings in his own guys/picks. 

"Re-learning how to play hockey" - I like the way that was put and couldn't agree more. 

A Housley "Hot Seat" thread. HAH.  It has more to do with players needing to get their heads out of their ######.  Okposo, O'Reilly, time to ship up boys.

We are fielding a second line today of players that need to get in gear: Reinhart - O'Reilly - Okposo. I'm hoping for good things.

I know we haven't made the playoffs since the 2010-11 season in a league where more than half the teams make it. That's the longest run in the teams history. Good work Terry. Job well done. The reason for existence blah, blah blah...

when you put it that way it does sound sad. But I think Pegula is a slow learner who will eventually get things right

when you put it that way it does sound sad. But I think Pegula is a slow learner who will eventually get things right

The sad thing is, from Day One, it never should have come down to whether Pegula was a sharp crayon or not. He's not and will never be, at least not when it comes to hockey. All he had to be was committed to winning (check) and willing to spend (check). And willing to cede control of things to smart hockey people and sit back and evaluate. That someone who claimed to be a fan didn't do the latter is especially disappointing, because something he loved was at stake. Guess what, Mima, I'm doing your brain surgery!!!! Has he ceded control to Botterill? I can only hope.

This post functions as a reply to Scottysabres. Sorry for the delayed response.

The sad thing is, from Day One, it never should have come down to whether Pegula was a sharp crayon or not. He's not and will never be, at least not when it comes to hockey. All he had to be was committed to winning (check) and willing to spend (check). And willing to cede control of things to smart hockey people and sit back and evaluate. That someone who claimed to be a fan didn't do the latter is especially disappointing, because something he loved was at stake. Guess what, Mima, I'm doing your brain surgery!!!! Has he ceded control to Botterill? I can only hope.

This post functions as a reply to Scottysabres. Sorry for the delayed response.

I hear ya PA. But even a broken crayon still colors, it just takes a bit to regain its form.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.