The New Lineup Thread

GASabresIUFAN

I don't really want Larsson that high up the depth chart, but if he can play the same role for that line that Girgs plays for his, then I can live with it.

I don't think he's capable of playing the role that Girgs is playing.  Last year, Girgs and Larsson were roughly equivalent in my mind.  Under Housley I think Girgs is clearly better than Larsson.  He showed it yesterday.  He did the Larsson stuff (digging and mucking for the puck) but he also showed some passing prowess especially on the two goals.  He seems to be settling into the new system nicely.

You have to believe that if Falk was available he'd have been in the lineup.  We know Bogo will be whenever he returns.  At that point one of Tennyson, Antipin, or Beaulieu will be out.  I am sure I would make it Beaulieu first.

At some point I also consider bringing up someone from Rochester just to see what happens.  Fedun?

I'm really interested how long the Beaulieu experiment lasts.

Clearly a talented kid who Botterill bought cheap on in the hopes that Phil could mould him.

But as a top four he's been a tire fire.

He doesn't go well with Tennyson, that's for sure.

What he needs to get his shots is a playmaker first center. I'm not sure that's ROR. I'm thinking a 3rd line of Kane with Reinhart.  Let Sam only focus on playmaking.  Give him Griffith also to add more speed and let Griffith dig pucks out.  Kane is also decently D responsible.  

I like seeing both Eichel and Kane on the PK.  I also like seeing Eichel double shifted a couple of times last night.

So maybe

Girgensons Eichel Pommers

Larsson ROR Okposo

Kane Reinhart Griffith

Pouliot Josefson Nolan

Moulson

I might even let Moulson play with ROR to add a scorer to that line, then move Larsson to 4th line LW and Pouliot to the bench.  We have 6 talented forwards.  I think they need to be divided over 3 lines to get matchups that work and then suppliment those 3 pods with skills the pods need such as physical play for Eichel's Line.  Effort for ROR's and speed for Reihart's.

OR! We could play Sam on his off-wing on the 3rd line, as the practice lines today demonstrated.

You have to believe that if Falk was available he'd have been in the lineup.  We know Bogo will be whenever he returns.  At that point one of Tennyson, Antipin, or Beaulieu will be out.  I am sure I would make it Beaulieu first.

At some point I also consider bringing up someone from Rochester just to see what happens.  Fedun?

I'd like to try Beaulieu on the third pair before dumping him out before Tennyson.

Being on the third line is the dog house?

I was under the impression Sam was in the doghouse after he was removed from both PP units. But if I'm not mistaken, he saw some powerplay ice last night.

So I'm just not sure anymore.

My (probably unfounded) hope? They are testing Sam on his off wing on the third line, in preparation for potentially bumping him up to play on the left side with ROR and KO.

The problem is with the exception of ERod, none of the young guys took the step necessary in Training Camp to show they are ready for the NHL. Is it better for them to stay in the AHL until at least December or have them learn in the NHL? I would go with the former.

The conundrum is that they cannot be worse then the sh!tshow that's happening on the third and fourth lines now.

JBot brought in Josefson, Pouliot, Griffith and Nolan as placeholders this year.

Sadly, all have them exactly that.

Sorry I can't remember who posted it, but the most astute observation I've read on here this morning was in regards to team speed.

The fast guys - Kane, Eichel, Girgensons - have been very good.

The slower guys - Okposo, O'Reilly Reinhart - have not.

Does bode well for Nylander, Bailey and Baptiste moving forward.

The problem is with the exception of ERod, none of the young guys took the step necessary in Training Camp to show they are ready for the NHL. Is it better for them to stay in the AHL until at least December or have them learn in the NHL? I would go with the former.

The conundrum is that they cannot be worse then the sh!tshow that's happening on the third and fourth lines now.

The thing is though, the larger problem is that three of our top five forwards are playing like fourth-liners.

JBot brought in Josefson, Pouliot, Griffith and Nolan as placeholders this year.

Sadly, all have them exactly that.

Sorry I can't remember who posted it, but the most astute observation I've read on here this morning was in regards to team speed.

The fast guys - Kane, Eichel, Girgensons - have been very good.

The slower guys - Okposo, O'Reilly Reinhart - have not.

Does bode well for Nylander, Bailey and Baptiste moving forward.

The thing is though, the larger problem is that three of our top five forwards are playing like fourth-liners.

We have long-term commitments to KO and ROR and Sam was a top 2 pick. They are (were?) important pieces of this rebuild. If they are to slow to play Housley’s system effectively, was Housley the right coaching hire?

If they are now expendable, what value do they have?

Edited by GASabresFan