81 Remi Elie - 37 Casey Mittelstadt - 72 Tage Thompson
28 Zemgus Girgensons - 71 Evan Rodrigues - 29 Jason Pominville 

6 Marco Scandella - 55 Rasmus Ristolainen
19 Jake McCabe - 26 Rasmus Dahlin 
82 Nathan Beaulieu - 8 Casey Nelson
5 Matt Tennyson

40 Carter Hutton 
35 Linus Ullmark

That third line is probably a disaster, but I think the top two are the best configuration we can have at the moment. 

"“I had a really good summer and I feel I had a really good camp, but now I have to build off of that, get better here every day and play as good as I can and maybe be the first one they call up,’’ said Nylander, who leads the Amerks against the Charlotte Checkers in their American Hockey League season opener Friday night at 7:05 at Blue Cross Arena."

https://amp.democratandchronicle.com/amp/1522981002?__twitter_impression=true

Good stuff to read there from/about Alex Nylander

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, WildCard said:

Lines today

43 Conor Sheary - 9 Jack Eichel - 23 Sam Reinhart 
53 Jeff Skinner - 10 Patrik Berglund - 21 Kyle Okposo
81 Remi Elie - 37 Casey Mittelstadt - 72 Tage Thompson
28 Zemgus Girgensons - 71 Evan Rodrigues - 29 Jason Pominville 

6 Marco Scandella - 55 Rasmus Ristolainen
19 Jake McCabe - 26 Rasmus Dahlin 
82 Nathan Beaulieu - 8 Casey Nelson
5 Matt Tennyson

40 Carter Hutton 
35 Linus Ullmark

What a stupid lineup. It’s simply dumb.  

Why put a new player who doesn’t drive offense with your scoring rookie center? Why is Erod, one of our best drivers of offense last season while playing LW, center the 4th line?  

Move Girgensons back to centering the 4th line.  Put Elie on his LW. Move ERod to Jack’s wing.  Pit the vetean Skinner with Casey and let Sheary skate with Berglund.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Is putting Larsson back in this lineup a step backwards?

I've slightly softened my stance on this.    Putting Larsson in over Elie is a wash IMO.    Putting him in over anybody else, Sobotka, Pominville, Girgensons, Thompson, etc... is a step backwards.

5 hours ago, pi2000 said:

I've slightly softened my stance on this.    Putting Larsson in over Elie is a wash IMO.    Putting him in over anybody else, Sobotka, Pominville, Girgensons, Thompson, etc... is a step backwards.

This seems about right.

Lines today at practice were:

Sheary-Eichel-Reinhart

Skinner-Mittelstadt-Okposo

Sobotka-Berglund-Thompson

Elie-Rodrigues-Pominville

Scandella-Risto

McCabe-Dahlin

Bealieau-Nelson

Housley mentioned that it was a very good day for Bogosian and that he’s traveling with the team. My guess is he is in within the next two games.

I do want to see Pilut and Bogosian slotting in and Bealieau/Nelson out.

I’d also like to see CJ Smith and Nylander up but not sure who is getting meaningful minutes they could replace.

41 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Lines today at practice were:

Sheary-Eichel-Reinhart

Skinner-Mittelstadt-Okposo

Sobotka-Berglund-Thompson

Elie-Rodrigues-Pominville

Scandella-Risto

McCabe-Dahlin

Bealieau-Nelson

Housley mentioned that it was a very good day for Bogosian and that he’s traveling with the team. My guess is he is in within the next two games.

I do want to see Pilut and Bogosian slotting in and Bealieau/Nelson out.

I’d also like to see CJ Smith and Nylander up but not sure who is getting meaningful minutes they could replace.

Can we call line 3 the ROR line?

Also, has anybody asked Phil in the last week or so what day Bogosian's day to day to day to day to day to day to... ...to day to day injury will be healed?

3 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Can we call line 3 the ROR line?

Also, has anybody asked Phil in the last week or so what day Bogosian's day to day to day to day to day to day to... ...to day to day injury will be healed?

They both said he’ll be ready within a couple games. I believe he himself said he was probably healthy enough to play last night but wanted to get a few practices in before getting in the lineup.

5 minutes ago, Hoss said:

They both said he’ll be ready within a couple games. I believe he himself said he was probably healthy enough to play last night but wanted to get a few practices in before getting in the lineup.

That's hopefully good news, assuming rust won't be an issue. The guy has not played very much NHL hockey lately 

On 7/12/2018 at 2:27 AM, dudacek said:

Five (bad) things that could easily happen this year that few on here expect will.

1) Connor Sheary minus the Penguins looks kinda like Scott Wilson and barely scores 10 goals.

2) This year’s Ullmark/Hutton tandem looks remarkably like last year’s Lehner/Johnson tandem.

3) Hunwick, Beaulieu and Nelson are regulars in our starting six

4) Casey Mittelstadt struggles against NHLers, averages a dozen minutes a game and gets about 25 points.

5) Jack Eichel puts up another 60-plus point season.

And five good ones

1) Bailey and Baptiste are regularly in the lineup all year long, supplying good speed on the forechecking and combining for 25 goals and 50 points.

2) A remarkably steady Hutton gives the Sabres a chance to win every game.

3) Zach Bogosian and Kyle Okposo produce like their 2016 versions.

4) Vladimir Sobotka gives the Sabres a genuine 3rd line centre

5) Sam Reinhart plays all 82 games the way he played the last 40 last year.

And a bonus: Alex Nylander lights it up in Rochester and get called up after Christmas.

Would take that

Just wondering if Botts is planning on doing what he done with Pittsburgh regarding pilut and nylander. Will we see them in buffalo in a month or so??  Sure he done similar with sheary and guentzel??

3 minutes ago, Sabre1974 said:

Would take that

Just wondering if Botts is planning on doing what he done with Pittsburgh regarding pilut and nylander. Will we see them in buffalo in a month or so??  Sure he done similar with sheary and guentzel??

At this point, it has to be Olofsson and CJ as the first call ups, they play a 200 foot game, Nylander isn't far off and when he puts his mind to it he is a force.  Not sure who on D.  Borgen needs time, but is nasty... Ghule has to many brain farts and needs to work on passing, Pilut is a great skater, but needs to add some weight, gets blown up to often in his own end.  The rest of them meh.

Cornell hustles all game and could be a decent 3rd 4th line guy.  Kills penalties and throws his body around.

10 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

At this point, it has to be Olofsson and CJ as the first call ups, they play a 200 foot game, Nylander isn't far off and when he puts his mind to it he is a force.  Not sure who on D.  Borgen needs time, but is nasty... Ghule has to many brain farts and needs to work on passing, Pilut is a great skater, but needs to add some weight, gets blown up to often in his own end.  The rest of them meh.

Cornell hustles all game and could be a decent 3rd 4th line guy.  Kills penalties and throws his body around.

Can't disagree with any of that. Good points

Take every word dark, Taro, TAS, Hoss and others have said in the Bills thread about their worries concerning McBeane and the QB situation for this season, even accounting for the fact that it was always going to be a tough/growing season. Every single word and possible nuance you could add to the situation to fully see it from all points of view, with the same ultimate conclusions. 

That's how I feel about Jason Botterill and our organizational center spine. 

With the added stipulation that in both cases, I'm probably less inclined for immediate bloodshed/punishment

Edited by Randall Flagg

5 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Take every word dark, Taro, TAS, Hoss and others have said in the Bills thread about their worries concerning McBeane and the QB situation for this season, even accounting for the fact that it was always going to be a tough/growing season. Every single word and possible nuance you could add to the situation to fully see it from all points of view, with the same ultimate conclusions. 

That's how I feel about Jason Botterill and our organizational center spine. 

With the added stipulation that in both cases, I'm probably less inclined for immediate bloodshed/punishment

I feel SO different about Botterill compared to Beane/McDermott. A lot of that probably has to do with the luck of Dahlin but overall he’s done a nice job transitioning from last year to this year. The added talent should eventually produce more. If it doesn’t it falls more on Housley for me because in no realm is Jeff Skinner not a damn good player. Same for Dahlin. Berglund and Sobotka are still definite improvements to the bottom six and, so far, Hutton looks like an upgrade. O’Reilly is the only useful subtracted talent.

Thompson and Hutton failing could be knocks against Botterill as could the lack of changes on defense if it doesn’t improve some more/Pilut or others in Rochester don’t come in and help.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.