2018 - 2019 Lineup

Tondas

1 minute ago, erickompositör72 said:

I agree with this completely. I guess I'm just hoping our transition game improves and includes more D on the rush.

BTW, did I miss something RE:Tennyson? has he been practicing w/ the big club? Last I heard he was on waivers for Rochester assignment...? Is there news that he was called back up?

He cleared waivers, but was never sent down.  Looks like he’ll be on the big squad, at least to start.  

11 minutes ago, erickompositör72 said:

I agree with this completely. I guess I'm just hoping our transition game improves and includes more D on the rush.

BTW, did I miss something RE:Tennyson? has he been practicing w/ the big club? Last I heard he was on waivers for Rochester assignment...? Is there news that he was called back up?

At the very least, that should happen when 26's pair is on the ice!

He showed why @Hoss had a point when pointing out the waiver nuance - he was waived and passed, but hasn't been assigned to Rochester yet, because we have enough injuries that he's our 7D, even though he's probably not ranked higher than Guhle/Pilut, but we want them playing top pairing Roch. minutes and not sitting up stairs. When Bogosian gets healthy (yeah f*cking right, have you learned your lesson Jason?) I assume he goes down and one of Nelson or Beaulieu takes Tennyson's current spot in the press box. 

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, erickompositör72 said:

He, Baptiste and Bailey were waived.  B&B were assigned to Rochester.  Tennyson is not a roster player but continues to practice with the club.  This is, I believe, a hedge against Bogosian not being ready to go right from the beginning.  Having cleared waivers, I think Tennyson can be on the roster, play then get sent down for.... 30 days? or something like that.

Edited by Doohickie

Also, Hutton could ostensibly act as a longer leash for Beaulieu. I understand why Housley keeps giving him chances. It's hard to just throw away someone with that natural talent. I know he's a real long-shot for his game to "click," but stranger things have happened in the NHL...

(FTR, I'm not betting on him, but just throwing that out there)

16 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

He showed why @Hoss had a point when pointing out the waiver nuance - he was waived and passed, but hasn't been assigned to Rochester yet, because we have enough injuries that he's our 7D, even though he's probably not ranked higher than Guhle/Pilut, but we want them playing top pairing Roch. minutes and not sitting up stairs. When Bogosian gets healthy (yeah f*cking right, have you learned your lesson Jason?) I assume he goes down and one of Nelson or Beaulieu takes Tennyson's current spot in the press box. 

Agreed with the bolded.

I have no issue with Tennyson making the final roster if his purpose is to keep the seat in the press-box warm. As soon as or if Bogo is ever good to go Tennyson will be sent down to the club. Tomorrow marks 1 week of the Columbus day that Bogo was injured in...at what point does day - to - day become week - to - week? 

As for Botteril not addressing the defense, winning the Dahlin lottery was enough to satisfy me for the current off-season. The biggest need for the Sabres is scoring goals and I feel that was addressed with Skinner, Sheary and getting Reinhart re-signed. I'm not sure what other moves he could have made to shore up the blue-line this off-season. We only have 2.8 million left in cap space, and short of trading any of the 2019 first rounders (which i don't think he should do), who from this team could he trade in exchange for an upgrade on the defense?

I also wonder what kind of consideration is being had for the impeding Seattle expansion draft.

6 minutes ago, inkman said:

Something involving chrome and trailer hitches. 

(Does anyone under 40 get this joke)

no

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

He, Baptiste and Bailey were waived.  B&B were assigned to Rochester.  Tennyson is not a roster player but continues to practice with the club.  This is, I believe, a hedge against Bogosian not being ready to go right from the beginning.  Having cleared waivers, I think Tennyson can be on the roster, play then get sent down for.... 30 days? or something like that.

I believe since he wasn't sent down, he still counts towards the 23-man roster. 

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

They may just carry 8 D, with Tennyson staying up. 

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

We like to talk about McBeane's player evaluation here, but if Tennyson gets a single second of ice time without at least 5 D on IR...

Tennyson is still here as insurance for Bogosian, plain and simple.

The problem is not that he is being ranked as our number eight defenceman, he’s not. He’s more like #10-12. The problem is that he is our #4 right-handed defenceman. 

They are content with moving one of McCabe or Dahlin over in a pinch, but not both.

Hopefully Borgen shows enough growth that if we need someone to do more than fill in as an RH 3rd pair guy, he can be the man.

Edited by dudacek

23 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

Agreed with the bolded.

I have no issue with Tennyson making the final roster if his purpose is to keep the seat in the press-box warm. As soon as or if Bogo is ever good to go Tennyson will be sent down to the club. Tomorrow marks 1 week of the Columbus day that Bogo was injured in...at what point does day - to - day become week - to - week? 

As for Botteril not addressing the defense, winning the Dahlin lottery was enough to satisfy me for the current off-season. The biggest need for the Sabres is scoring goals and I feel that was addressed with Skinner, Sheary and getting Reinhart re-signed. I'm not sure what other moves he could have made to shore up the blue-line this off-season. We only have 2.8 million left in cap space, and short of trading any of the 2019 first rounders (which i don't think he should do), who from this team could he trade in exchange for an upgrade on the defense?

I also wonder what kind of consideration is being had for the impeding Seattle expansion draft.

no

All I can say with regards to this is that Botterill's failure to supplement the D with further talent other than Dahlin better not result in Dahlin being asked to do more than he is ready to handle. He must be broken into the league properly, even if that means allowing Beaulieu and Nelson to get shelled by the other team's better players. Obviously I would have preferred for more defensive help to be brought in, but at the very least that situation cannot result in Dahlin being mishandled. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

Actually expecting that they believe Hunwick will be healthy w/in a month & that Tennyson is a placholder for his designated pressbox role.

If Hunwick isn't healthy by then, then he goes to LTIR & there is a decision to be made when Hunwick finishes what would then be his rehab stint.  As one of those 2 or Beaulieu would need to clear waivers to go down.  (Probably Tennyson goes down then, but who knows.)

Clearly this was a glorious victory for @Hoss

However, can anyone explain why they bothered to waive him since they evidently were going to keep him with the Sabres for the time being anyway? 

Also, while I understand the disappointment with Nylander being sent down, I will note:

- if he plays well in Rochester he'll be back up pretty quickly -- and if he doesn't play well in Rochester then he shouldn't have made the NHL roster.

- I think what really left an impression was how much better he looked over the past few weeks than he did in prior years -- i.e. not so much that he clearly was better than his competitors for the spot.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

However, can anyone explain why they bothered to waive him since they evidently were going to keep him with the Sabres for the time being anyway? 

Maybe it was because they wanted to give themselves the best chance of keeping him by placing him on waivers when those transactions where happening aplenty all over the league? Just a guess. 

14 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Also, while I understand the disappointment with Nylander being sent down, I will note:

- if he plays well in Rochester he'll be back up pretty quickly -- and if he doesn't play well in Rochester then he shouldn't have made the NHL roster.

- I think what really left an impression was how much better he looked over the past few weeks than he did in prior years -- i.e. not so much that he clearly was better than his competitors for the spot.

There's a 30 day time limit I think, so they must be certain that they want him in Roch and that Bogo will be fine within 4 weeks to allow them to do so. As far as I can tell, anyway

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

There's a 30 day time limit I think, so they must be certain that they want him in Roch and that Bogo will be fine within 4 weeks to allow them to do so. As far as I can tell, anyway

Bogo &/or Hunwick.

Right now, w/ both injured (though IIRC, only Hunwick on IR) if not for Tennyson there is no spare D-man on the roster.  Better to leave him in the pressbox than Pilut.  (Though better still to keep Beaulieu there w/ Pilut on the ice.)

For whatever reason, the Sabres have preferred 13-8 rather than 14-7 (quite likely has something to do w/ Bogosian being perpetually dtd).  They don't have to send him down when Bogosian dresses.  They do have to send him down when Hunwick is ready.  It appears they expect Hunwick to be ready sooner than later.

Thanks boys.

However:  even with the 30-day limit, there was no reason to waive Tennyson now, right?  i.e. they could've done so when Bogo/Hunwick returned instead of doing so now?  So maybe the idea was, as Thorny said, just to sneak him through during a period of heavy NHL activity?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Thanks boys.

However:  even with the 30-day limit, there was no reason to waive Tennyson now, right?  i.e. they could've done so when Bogo/Hunwick returned instead of doing so now?  So maybe the idea was, as Thorny said, just to sneak him through during a period of heavy NHL activity?

I believe Hoss also had that idea independently, so that would make sense. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've lost track of where we are at forwards but is there any chance that they make a waiver pickup? I'm specifically thinking Jaskin or Khunakl (I haveno idea how to spell his name)

5 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Thanks boys.

Well, the reason would appear to be, as Hoss proposed when he was waived, that they had concerns that he wouldn't get through towards the end of the month when theoretically the Sabres injury concerns have been overcome.

3 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I believe Hoss also had that idea independently, so that would make sense. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've lost track of where we are at forwards but is there any chance that they make a waiver pickup? I'm specifically thinking Jaskin or Khunakl (I haveno idea how to spell his name)

13 healthy forwards including Larsson as healthy w/ 2 on IR (Malone & Wilson).

And, as guys ARE going on IR in the preseason, it would appear the team doesn't need to have only 23 bodies on the roster tomorrow.  They can only have 23 non-IR'd bodies.  :oops

44 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Bogo &/or Hunwick.

Right now, w/ both injured (though IIRC, only Hunwick on IR) if not for Tennyson there is no spare D-man on the roster.  Better to leave him in the pressbox than Pilut.  (Though better still to keep Beaulieu there w/ Pilut on the ice.)

For whatever reason, the Sabres have preferred 13-8 rather than 14-7 (quite likely has something to do w/ Bogosian being perpetually dtd).  They don't have to send him down when Bogosian dresses.  They do have to send him down when Hunwick is ready.  It appears they expect Hunwick to be ready sooner than later.

Yup, but even when Hunwick is ready, they could even then theoretically send Hunwick down, no? I don't quite get the 30 day limit with Tennyson thing. Couldn't they just decide to keep him up? Or is there a minimum amount of time he has to now be assigned to Rochester for?

Just now, Thorny said:

Yup, but even when Hunwick is ready, they could even then theoretically send Hunwick down, no? I don't quite get the 30 day limit with Tennyson thing. Couldn't they just decide to keep him up? Or is there a minimum amount of time he has to now be assigned to Rochester for?

If they don't send him down in 30 days / or he plays in ten games they have to waive him again if they want to send him down.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Taro T said:

13 healthy forwards including Larsson as healthy w/ 2 on IR (Malone & Wilson).

And, as guys ARE going on IR in the preseason, it would appear the team doesn't need to have only 23 bodies on the roster tomorrow.  They can only have 23 non-IR'd bodies.  :oops

It's interesting that the 23 man roster, after Wilson, Malone, and Hunwick are placed on IR if they aren't already, will include two players who are apparently injured, in Larsson and Bogosian. That must mean they are close to being ready. 

And ya I think you are right about the 13 and 8 thing rather than 14 and 7. 

Edited by Thorny

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

They could, but if he does get taken by somebody the Pens owe the Sabres a lesser draft pick.

The 30 day thing is simply Tennyson can be sent down anytime in the next 30 days w/out clearing waivers.  Hunwick, Bogosian, & Beaulieu would have to clear to go down.  And if Tennyson goes down w/ time still on his waiverless send down still remaining, he could be brought back up for a few more days & sent down again waiverlessly.

The 30 days pretty much guarantees that if a vet D gets sent down, he'll be the guy sent down.

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.