Can we make the playoffs this year?

Sabre fan

81 members have voted

1. 1. Do the Sabres have a chance of making the playoffs???

• yes, but just barely
    • yes, by a good margin
    • not sure, but should be close
    • sorry not this year
    • we get the 1st overall pick this year!!!

Do those of you that wanted--and got--a coaching change think that was enough to make us a playoff team?

Yes, and the complete overhaul of the defense along with depth signings has me believing we should. Last year was slightly different because the East looked so much worse. Now? East is looking a lot better than last summer

Any team can make the playoffs in any gjven year. Col and Clgy being recent examples of teams catching lightning in a bottle.  I am more interested in seeing if the long term development of a perennial cup contender is on course. 

Yea, we can make the playoffs.

Will we?

That is up to the players and coaching staff.

I'm hopeful Housely and staff institute a system that really lets the players strengths shine. But I have confidence the talent on this team can destroy any opponent in the league if they commit to doing so.

No kidding

If this team doesn't expect to be in the playoffs then they are losers. Ik Captain Jack expects it. He should hold that entire locker room to his standards.

I also think bringing Pommer in to replace Gionta will work in that direction.  You could hear it in Pommer's interview in the BN:  "Hopefully, we can bring that same buzz to the city again and get into the playoffs and create that atmosphere again... You want younger players to have the chance to see and to live what we were able to do.  Hopefully, we can live up to those expectations and exceed them."  He remembers Buffalo playoff hockey and wants to see it come back.

I have hope.  Hope is good.

Reality says that the roster has improved.  We have a new coach that will be instilling a new system, which will take time for the players to learn.  It will take time for it all to mesh together, which may be too long this coming season.

So, as of now I will predict a playoff cusp, but in the end I think they will fall just short (I hope I am wrong), which will be a great improvement over the last several years.

I will also say that I expect the Sabres to be 'in' most games and will play a far more entertaining style of hockey, which is important.

Basically this.

I think with the system change, much improved defense and some middle 6 wing changes (Pommers/Pouliot) we will be far more effective and not have to rely on Jack carrying the team like last year. Plus more healthy games from ROR/Eichel/Kane should help as well. Color me optimistic.

Just the thought of this team playing more offensive-minded wide open hockey is awesome! Been far too long this the Sabres have been called exciting...at least win or lose they will be entertaining, which is far more then you can say for the last few years...

Can't help but wonder if we'll make the playoffs before there is a nuclear war with good old North Korea and we'll all be nuked and miss the show...

Edited by Sabre fan

I don't think there's been enough turnover on the bottom 6 to reduce SAT against enough to contend for the playoffs.    They still don't have a guy to take the load off ROR (d-zone draws, PK minutes, etc).         

I don't think there's been enough turnover on the bottom 6 to reduce SAT against enough to contend for the playoffs.    They still don't have a guy to take the load off ROR (d-zone draws, PK minutes, etc).

You underestimate the benefits of not playing a system in which the only instruction to the D is: "Throw the puck that way as hard as you can!!!!!!!"

Extra exclamation marks needed.

The system last year was to form a box in the slot and keep everything to the outside. It is one of the most passive ways to play defense in all of hockey. A change to that and the major changes to our defense will easily make us contend for the playoffs. You are getting to bogged down in the bottom 6 stuff. 

You underestimate the benefits of not playing a system in which the only instruction to the D is: "Throw the puck that way as hard as you can!!!!!!!"

Extra exclamation marks needed.

You overestimate the benefits of playing a system in which the only instruction to the D is:  "Carry the puck out of the zone and join the rush every chance you get!!!!"

The system last year was to form a box in the slot and keep everything to the outside. It is one of the most passive ways to play defense in all of hockey. A change to that and the major changes to our defense will easily make us contend for the playoffs. You are getting to bogged down in the bottom 6 stuff. 

And what's the system going to be this year that magically makes BUF a better defensive team and reduces SAT against?    I think everyone if overestimating the impact of a new coach when there hasn't been much roster turnover.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.