How much should Kane' s extension be?

I-90 W

95 members have voted

1. 1. How long should the exension be for?

• 4 years
    • 5 years
    • 6 years
    • 7 years
  2. 2. How much $ should the extension offer be?

• $4.5 m
    • $5.5 m
    • $6.5 m
    • $7 m

• 2 weeks later...

No reason to make a decision now. To many factors such as can he stay healthy, can he continue to produce, does the team get in playoff contention, how much does he want and for how long.

I’m still sticking with my pre-season assessment that he’ll want to much for to long and we’ll get value if we trade him at the deadline. This coupled with an honest assessment of the roster that we are still years away from being a top end team, not reason to keep Kane.

No reason to make a decision now. To many factors such as can he stay healthy, can he continue to produce, does the team get in playoff contention, how much does he want and for how long.

I’m still sticking with my pre-season assessment that he’ll want to much for to long and we’ll get value if we trade him at the deadline. This coupled with an honest assessment of the roster that we are still years away from being a top end team, not reason to keep Kane.

As a fan who wants Kane, or at least Kane’s skill set and production, on the roster, now that it is fairly obvious that this team is still years away from being a competitive playoff team it probably maks sense to move Kane. He’ll be on the wrong side of his prime when this team will need what he brings in the playoffs.

And it kinda pisses me off to have to think that. What a waste of several value contracts the last 2 seasons are shaping up to be.

I think they should give it to him.  Which is not the same as saying I think they will.

I agree. They need to find a way to keep him, especially given the rest of the team's struggles at wing. Without him, our only productive winger is a 34 year old player who only has 2 years left on his contract.

I wonder if L.A. would give us a good D man for him? They have a bunch of them and lack scoring so........................

While the sample size is small and I expect their scoring to go down, LA is actually 4th in the NHL in goals per game at the moment. I don't think they trade for scorers until it becomes a problem, which will take a while to fully realize if it's going to become a problem. 

Am I mistaken, or having I been hearing more and more that the market for "rental" players is really on the downswing?

I know it's not likely (unless we knowingly trade him somewhere we know he won't sign), it'd be amazing if GMBot could pull off a trade and then re-sign him July 1.

Although, we'd probably lose a conditional pick if something like that were to happen.

Am I mistaken, or having I been hearing more and more that the market for "rental" players is really on the downswing?

I know it's not likely (unless we knowingly trade him somewhere we know he won't sign), it'd be amazing if GMBot could pull off a trade and then re-sign him July 1.

Although, we'd probably lose a conditional pick if something like that were to happen.

It wouldn't be too hard to do assuming he wants to sign here, we're willing to pay him (in term and money), and we trade him to a team that won't have the cap space to re-sign him. His current cap hit is $5.25 million and we can retain half so that's $2.625 million then you prorate it for the 80% or so percentage of games that have already been played by the deadline. That should mean that basically every team except those already against the cap should have room for him or could easily make the room but sending a player back to us. If we send him to a team that likely won't have the place to re-sign him though, it would increase our chances of getting him back.

It wouldn't be too hard to do assuming he wants to sign here, we're willing to pay him (in term and money), and we trade him to a team that won't have the cap space to re-sign him. His current cap hit is $5.25 million and we can retain half so that's $2.625 million then you prorate it for the 80% or so percentage of games that have already been played by the deadline. That should mean that basically every team except those already against the cap should have room for him or could easily make the room but sending a player back to us. If we send him to a team that likely won't have the place to re-sign him though, it would increase our chances of getting him back.

The only way it could backfire is if we send him to a cup-contending team, he turns out to be Mr Playoffs, and leads his new team to a cup, and they decide to pay him.

But on the other hand, I hear it creates good will with a player if you "lend" him to a team that makes a run in the playoffs.

Edited by ericcomposer72

The only way it could backfire is if we send him to a cup-contending team, he turns out to be Mr Playoffs, and leads his new team to a cup, and they decide to pay him.

But on the other hand, I hear it creates good will with a player if you "lend" him to a team that makes a run in the playoffs.

That's always the risk of renting out a player but that's the price you have to pay in order to acquire those rental assets. If they don't want to risk losing him at all, they need to extend him before the deadline. The risk then becomes will he live up to his contract or do we get swindled by contract year performance.

Edited by Drunkard

Yes, the deadline market has been turning the other way for a while now. I think Murray found that out the hard way. 

Last year a number of teams tried to move bodies and were left holding on to them as prices dropped at the deadline rather than going up like in the past. cap issues are certainly a factor, but probably the younger GMs have more build from your own system mentalities now. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.